PDA

View Full Version : First Mandolin Indecision and Loar is to Blame!

allthechad
Dec-21-2011, 12:51am
I don't know if I should buy a LM-220 kit or the LM-300 and save up to buy the rest of the stuff, or just splurge and get the LM-400. I've been going back and forth for almost a month. I can't try them anywhere because nobody around me sells them, so I've listened to every clip and review I can find and still can't decide. I've upped my budget and then reversed that, I've decided on one in the morning only to choose another that night. The only thing I'm sure of is where I am getting it. I've never played any instrument before so I'm completely new to all of this. I know you guys have to get tired of this but I don't know where else to go. Anything someone can tell me to break the gridlock? Thanks in advance for any help anybody can give.:confused:

dcoventry
Dec-21-2011, 1:13am
Buy the LM-400 and don't ever look back. It's a great deal. Get it from one of the Cafe sponsors like Big Joe or Folkmusician and be at peace with the fact it will come set up and ready to jam.

You have my permission and my blessing.

Feel better? I knew you would!

allthechad
Dec-21-2011, 1:21am
Haha Thanks a lot dc! I love what I've heard from it so far, it's just a big purchase and I'm trying to REALLY make sure. I really think I'm gonna go with Folk Musician too. But thanks again!

Mike Bunting
Dec-21-2011, 1:38am
That is good advice and I would add, once you get it, quit thinking about it and just play that mando, so you can get the most out of it. It's a good instrument so just get some miles behind the board before you start thinking of anything else. I notice on this cafe that a lot of new players start worrying about picks and strings ad other parapernalia before they have let themselves get the experience that will allow them to make any kind of educated guess as to what kind of improvement they might want to hear. The important thing is to play a lot (emphasis on play) and to listen a lot.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Dec-21-2011, 1:39am
I have not played a LM300, and the one LM220 I played I was not impressed. I did own a LM600 and LM400 and I preferred the latter by far. So like dconventry I also say go with the LM400.

almeriastrings
Dec-21-2011, 2:07am
I would definitely save up and go for the LM-300 or LM-400. I have seen an LM-300 very recently and it was really pretty good. The LM-220's were several steps down. I have not seen an LM-400, unfortunately. I would most definitely go to one of the Cafe sponsors for this brand, as their factory QC is erratic to say the least... that should filter the 'lemons' out and you'll also get a proper set up (they need it). I would also not rule out the Kentucky range in that price bracket. The KM-505 in particular. Very nice little mandolin.

allthechad
Dec-21-2011, 2:15am
I think the biggest thing with the 220 is the pack comes with a tuner, cord chart, strap, and case so I thought it might be worth it, but I can see that the 400 is a very good beginner mandolin and apparently the clear choice.

almeriastrings
Dec-21-2011, 2:36am
Tuners are cheap, and the ones they sell with kits are rarely the best. You can get chord charts (and more) here for free. It is the quality of the instrument that matters most... all the rest you can obtain easily and cheaply just about anywhere.

KarlM
Dec-21-2011, 2:37am
I was in almost exactly the same position; there's no place around where I can actually check out any of them in person, and I'd already gone above what I thought was my original budget to get to the 220. It seems like the consensus (from here and talking to Robert at folkmusician) is that the 220 and 300 are similar in sound, but the 400 is a big change. And while it's hard to judge how accurate they are, the clips on themandolinstore.com seem to be somewhat similarly recorded, and you can hear the difference between them.

I actually went ahead and ordered the 220 at first, and then after a couple of days fretting, called back and changed to the 400. Should be here in a couple of days, though without anything to compare it to I can't be a whole lot of help. I don't even have one yet but I'm already understanding what people here mean about MAS!

bribhoy
Dec-21-2011, 3:32am
I was in your shoes in August. Never played an instrument before and started hankering after a mandolin. I eventually decided on a Kentucky KM-150, since I wasn't sure whether I would even stick with it. With hindsight, I would have spent more and bought sooner. All that deciding time could have been playing time!

Get the best instrument you can afford (assuming you like the sound of the clips you've heard) and get it NOW!

Good luck,
Bribhoy

allthechad
Dec-21-2011, 3:34am
I've been all over themandolinstore.com and from the start I thought there was something different about the 400. It's like you said I would be going way over budget to get it, but I really want something I can be happy for a while. Also I want something I can really enjoy to me that means knowing I've got something of quality and value. So there's no lingering doubt. Plus I think it looks pretty cool too. This is a big purchase for me, and I feel like I'm going out on a limb kinda, so I need to be sure about every aspect. I've read about the amazing setup that Folk Musician does so I think that's a smart choice. I guess I just need assurances that it's the right decision because as much research as I've done I'm still extremely ignorant on this subject. So I really appreciate your help.

Chad

allthechad
Dec-21-2011, 3:44am
Thanks! That's all good to know. I don't know anything about musical instruments really, and especially all the accessories that are needed, so the package looks attractive to me because it makes it less intimidating. But intellectually I know what you're saying makes sense. The 400 seems like the better choice. Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

Stephen Perry
Dec-21-2011, 3:46am
I'm rather more impressed with the LM400, especially with the bridge replaced.

So long as the selling shop does a good thorough setup including bridge fitting you'll be fine. The primary worries on these (here at least) are junk filler used to fit the bridge (we remove it) and irregular frets (we dress).

I got two LM-400 recently. Nice sounding starter mandolins. Impressive for the $$$.

allthechad
Dec-21-2011, 3:48am
I think I'm gonna go for the 400 from Folk Musician. I'm increasingly confident that it's the right deal. Now I just can't wait to get one and start playing! It seems like an infectious hobby/ obsession. Haha. Thanks for you input, I am really grateful for your help.

allthechad
Dec-21-2011, 4:06am
Is the set up included in the price of you mandolins? Also if I want different strings on it can you replace them when you do the set up? Btw thanks of course for your help.

bfc
Dec-21-2011, 5:28am
I am a begining player who was in your shoes earlier in the year, I ended up with a The Loar lm400 from Stephen Perry at Gianna Violins and I could not be any happier. I am in Australia and the mandolin arrived in 10 days from ordering and was set up nicely. I have NFI with Gianna Violin and would deal with them again, good luck with the search.
Cheers Bruce

allthechad
Dec-21-2011, 6:49am
Wow that sounds cool. I've got to check them. Thank you for the help.

P.D. Kirby
Dec-21-2011, 7:36am
I picked up the LM-400 last year and it is one of the best sounding mandolins I've ever played. It is built the samre way the LM-700 is, sans tone bars and sounds better than most F-models in the 1k price point. I also have a LM-600 in Black but the 400 has better bottom end both sound great. Don't forget to join the "The Loar owners club". BTW all the dealers mentioned so far have great reputations and are frequent posters here on the cafe. I would pick one of them for the simple reason that they all have a proven track record and the setup is almost as important as the type of mandolin you buy. Stay away from the Big Box dealers, the few dollars you save aren't worth the headaches you will encounter with a poorly set up instrument and you will eventually end up paying someone to set it up anyway.

Welcome to the Cafe and the Madness, be careful because most of the members here are carriers of the dreaded MAS syndrome, there is no known cure and it can be transmitted over the Internet by repeated exposure...:mandosmiley:

Big Joe
Dec-21-2011, 11:04am
The LM400 is the best bang for the buck. The main difference from the LM 400 and the 300 is the 400 is a nitro finished instrument and has no tone bars. You will not be sorry with this purchase.

jambalaya
Dec-21-2011, 11:50am
I love my 400. It just keeps getting sweeter the more i play it. it really cuts through a jam session too.

allthechad
Dec-21-2011, 1:25pm
Wow. That's a lot of great information. I am definitely going with a dealer from here. Just for the simple fact that I can see how they all comport themselves on here and that lends a lot of credence to the praise that people in the forums have heaped upon them. I joined the owners club last night in anticipation of the mandolin I'm gonna order today. I appreciate all your your help and the warm welcome to the site!

Psyberbilly
Dec-21-2011, 2:09pm
I think the biggest thing with the 220 is the pack comes with a tuner, cord chart, strap, and case so I thought it might be worth it, but I can see that the 400 is a very good beginner mandolin and apparently the clear choice.

Yep , if you get all that extra stuff in a package deal you rob yourself of the fun from asking about and hunting for them here on the Cafe !!

Psyberbilly
Dec-21-2011, 2:18pm
I've been all over themandolinstore.com and from the start I thought there was something different about the 400. It's like you said I would be going way over budget to get it, but I really want something I can be happy for a while. Also I want something I can really enjoy to me that means knowing I've got something of quality and value. So there's no lingering doubt. Plus I think it looks pretty cool too. This is a big purchase for me, and I feel like I'm going out on a limb kinda, so I need to be sure about every aspect. I've read about the amazing setup that Folk Musician does so I think that's a smart choice. I guess I just need assurances that it's the right decision because as much research as I've done I'm still extremely ignorant on this subject. So I really appreciate your help.

Chad

You came to the right place ! There are lots of great guys and gals here with lots of mandolin experience . If you have mandolin related questions and you don't find the answer here you probably won't find it at all.

allthechad
Dec-21-2011, 3:56pm
I know, I could not be happier with the responses I've gotten. I guess you're right about the equipment. Being a newbie, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

allthechad
Dec-21-2011, 7:54pm
I have ordered my LM-400!!!!!!! It is hopefully gonna be on it's way soon and I cannot wait to start picking. I know it's presumptuous but I requested J74's be put on it. Now all I need is everything else, let the hunt begin. Thanks again to everybody for all the information and wisdom. I really appreciate it you guys. :grin:

P.D. Kirby
Dec-22-2011, 6:58am
I think The Loar uses J74s on all their Mandolins but I will defer to the more knowledgeable here among us. Do you mind me asking who you ordered from? We are all friends here so I don't think anyones feelings would be hurt by your revealing that information. One things for sure if you got it from any of the dealers posting in this thread you will be very happy... Please post some pictures when you get her cause we all love to look at pictures of Mandolins..

Big Joe
Dec-22-2011, 2:48pm
Yep, that is the string they use. D'Addario's all the way.

Fstpicker
Dec-22-2011, 7:50pm
I have owned my LM-400 for a year now and am still happy with it. It has matured some in the past year and my playing has improved largely because of it. I currently have J-75's on it and like the depth they give me. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the least. My 400 was the first production one sold (serial #2) and Robert Fear sold it to the previous owner nicely set up. I've had Steve
Perry do some minor tweaks on it this summer, but the bridge is still stock and well-fitted.
Let us know...
Jeff

allthechad
Dec-22-2011, 8:22pm
Oh I didn't know they used J74s out of the package, I ordered it from Folk Musician. You can bet as soon as I acclimate it and get done playing around with it I'll post some pics. Just like a proud dad. Haha