PDA

View Full Version : Weiser Idaho Fiddle Contest

montana
Dec-20-2011, 12:25pm
Has anyone gone to Weiser Fest ? I'd like to go and would like any advice. It's the third week in june. Is it hard to get in the fiddletown camping area? Any advice would be appreciated.

Spruce
Dec-20-2011, 1:06pm
It's the third week in june.

For starters, it's the third full week in June...
Quite a few folks have made that mistake, and find themselves with a week to kill in the middle of nowhere... ;)

djweiss
Dec-20-2011, 4:33pm
I've been the last two years, and plan on going again.

While the contest is the third full week in June, as Spruce pointed out, people in Stickerville and SwingCamp get there up to a week early...I like to arrive Friday or Saturday before the Fiddle Contest begins and tend to leave by Tuesday or Wednesday...more picking, less spectating.

Pete Martin and John Rosett, both regulars here on this discussion board, have been going for much longer than I have...hopefully they will respond, too.

Spruce
Dec-20-2011, 4:48pm
While the contest is the third full week in June, as Spruce pointed out, people in Stickerville and SwingCamp get there up to a week early...

Oh yeah, that's what I've heard....
Might have to go in 2012.
It's been awhile....
It's probably the grandest gathering of 'em all....

djweiss
Dec-20-2011, 5:40pm
It's pretty grand...Swing, old time, bluegrass, texas-fiddling...a little bit of everything. There's even been a honky-tonk tent the last couple of years with Todd Clinesmith on the steel guitar.

Pete Martin
Dec-20-2011, 5:53pm
I've been going since '78, wouldn't miss it for the world....

You'll have fun!

John Rosett
Dec-21-2011, 12:53am
It's probably the grandest gathering of 'em all....

What Bruce said.

John Rosett
Dec-21-2011, 1:02am
You won't have a problem finding a place to camp. Are you bringing a tent or a camper? The weather can go from the 90's in the daytime to the 40's at night, so come prepared. There haven't been a lot of food vendors the past few years, although there are still a few, so you will either want to bring cooking gear, or plan on going into town to eat a few times. In the end, you'll have so much fun that you might not even remember if you ate or slept.

djweiss
Dec-21-2011, 1:11am
John, what about bacon and eggs at 2:00 am? Surely you can remember that!

montana
Dec-21-2011, 12:42pm
Thanks everyone. I plan on taking my van that I have fixed up for camping. Is there just one camping area? The website say the fiddle camp area is $20.00 a night. Is this the area everyone stays at and do I have to make reservations a head of time?

Pete Martin
Dec-21-2011, 1:02pm
There are 3 campsites close to the contest site and a few smaller ones father away. The fiddle campground has no shade (bring some!!) and you don't need reservations. As it is the only one I've stayed in, I can't speak for the others. John could fill you in about the others (Swingtown and Stickerville).

Only 6 months to Weiser!!!!!! Regardless of where you stay, you'll have more fun than should be legal...

djweiss
Dec-21-2011, 1:25pm
This thread is getting me anxious for June already! tick-tock, tick-tock...

John Rosett
Dec-21-2011, 2:08pm
You mean like this, Darren?

John Rosett
Dec-21-2011, 2:12pm
Here's a couple of pictures showing what goes on in the daylight:

John Rosett
Dec-21-2011, 2:20pm
A couple more. You guys ready yet?80017800188001980020

Tom Smart
Dec-21-2011, 4:05pm
Thanks everyone. I plan on taking my van that I have fixed up for camping. Is there just one camping area? The website say the fiddle camp area is $20.00 a night. Is this the area everyone stays at and do I have to make reservations a head of time?

If you're young, tattooed, and want to stay up all night playing old-time tunes, stay in Stickerville. For a slightly more sedate experience, stay in Fiddletown or on the lawns in front of the Institute, the opposite side from Stickerville. Either way, it's easy enough to stroll around and experience it all. No need for a reservation, and after your first visit you'll have a good idea where you want to stay next time. And there will be a next time. For a week or two, Weiser is the coolest place on earth. Then it goes back to being just sleepy little Weiser.

By the way, I notice Becky Smith in a couple of those photos--fantastic mandolin player and the undisputed queen of Stickerville.

Chip Booth
Dec-21-2011, 6:50pm
I'm going to make it there this year!

Mark Seale
Dec-22-2011, 4:09pm
I haven't been in 20 years, but it is certainly not an experience you'll ever forget...