PDA

View Full Version : Tucker in the Ads

AlanN
Dec-20-2011, 7:29am
I see a Tucker F-5 for sale, with the claim that Wayne Benson owned this one. Is this the mandolin on the cover of his Acutab book? The body scroll has a different shape to it and he does the little headstock scroll differently, too.

I've never picked on one. Is the sound and feel superior?

Hal Jeanes
Dec-20-2011, 12:44pm
I remember Wayne playing a Tucker. Can't speak to whether this one for sale is the same. Melvin Tucker made fine mandolins. I have ole number 13 and have had since it was new. I also used to have a Gilchrist that I thought the Tucker was just as fine sounding. Still have the Tucker. Traded the Gilchrist for a Monteleone Grand Artist. Here is a photo of my Tucker's beautiful one piece back.79975

JFDilmando
Dec-20-2011, 8:38pm
There are Tuckers, and there are tuckers... just like Loars and Loars.... all are not great, nor even very good... I had one for awhile that was decidedly pedestrian... Kept my Gilchrist....
just wanted to offer the "other side of the story"... he made wonderful instruments... not all though.. always keep in mind... just like Loars

baptist mando55
Dec-20-2011, 8:42pm
I believe Wayne also played one of Bob Shues early on.

dcoventry
Dec-21-2011, 12:49am
I believe Wayne also played one of Bob Shues early on.

Wayne played one of Bob's shoes?? Man, Wayne can get good tone out of anything!!

AlanN
Dec-21-2011, 3:48am
Oh yah, he picks with sole...

mrmando
Dec-21-2011, 4:06am
There have been a couple of Tuckers on eBay of late, as well.

trevor
Dec-21-2011, 6:42am
I had one a few years back. It was excellent, but its the only one I've seen.