PDA

View Full Version : New Mandolin: Keith O'Dell #6

Brandon Johnson
Dec-19-2011, 11:56pm
Hello folks. This is my first started thread here. I just picked up my new O'Dell mandolin tonight from Keith O'Dell outside of Wilkesboro, NC. Keith has been building for a while now. He build mandolins, guitars, and is even working in a mandocello. He had some nice parlor guitars in the works in his shop tonight. I have had my eyes on this mandolin for quite a while and was just able to sell a guitar and put a down payment on it. Keith makes some great stuff. This is #6 Made 3/7/09. Carpathian Spruce top, Red maple back and sides, Schaller tuners, James tailpiece, radiused fretboard, and Keith's modifications on a standard F5 pattern (revised arches, and a deeper body). This thing has a huge bottom end, bright high end, and has a large and round sound. This is an X-braced mandolin, with an almost 90 degree X. I have been looking for what I consider a new sound that is more even and sweeter than what I perceive the Loar tone to be. I may be able to post some audio/video when I get the hang of this, and will try to get some better pics when new batteries and perhaps a better camera can be procured.

imleath
Dec-20-2011, 7:21am
The back on that bad boy is beaaaaaaaautiful.

pickloser
Dec-20-2011, 7:48am
That's gawjuss! Congratulations. I'd love to see more pictures.

Scotti Adams
Dec-20-2011, 7:58am
Nice

billhay4
Dec-20-2011, 11:43am
I'd like to hear a sound clip if you have one. Nice looking instrument.
Bill

Jill McAuley
Dec-20-2011, 1:57pm
Gorgeous! Congratulations and enjoy that thing!

Cheers,
Jill

Brandon Johnson
Dec-20-2011, 3:15pm
Thanks everyone! Still waiting on some better pics, but I tried to do some sound clips. I recoreded them from my iPhone, all I have right now, and they came out as mp4 files and won't load as attachments. I'll keep working on it. For those interested, I am using a Blue Chip TAD 1R 50. Still trying to figure out the best pick/string relationship for the mando. A few more facts about the mando: no truss rod, but carbon fiber reinforcement in the neck. Keith makes his own bridges. The neck, I believe, is 1 1/16". Short, scooped fingerboard extension.

stratman62
Dec-20-2011, 4:06pm
Very nice, I've seen and played some of his instruments. The man has a clue or two!!

Steve Sorensen
Dec-20-2011, 4:47pm
Classic good looks.
Steve

Brandon Johnson
Jan-04-2012, 4:47pm

Here are a couple more pics of O'Dell #6 and my previous player, an F5 made by Bob Burns in Caldwell County, NC. The Burns is based on Siminoff's Bluegrass Mandolin book, and has Red/Adi top, quilted maple back and sides, flat 1 3/16" fretboard. Much different sounds, tone, and volumes. I thought these were cool comparison pics.

Jake Wildwood
Jan-06-2012, 3:29pm
That's some fancy stuff!

I love the one-piece back. Always have liked one-piece top/backs.