PDA

View Full Version : Strap button

lightningbug
Dec-03-2004, 8:00pm
I just received my new Breedlove Cascade. I've been playing an MK firefly (what else) with a scroll. The Cascade doesn't have a scroll nor does it have strap button by the neck. I'm not really looking forward to putting a new hole in the instrument, but I will if I can't come up with an alternative. Any suggestions?

Also, where is the best place to put the button?

John Flynn
Dec-03-2004, 8:09pm
The Breedlove website has instructions as to where to put the hole. It is good advice. As an alternative, you could run a leather lace around the body, under the neck extension and through the hole in the end of the strap.

fatt-dad
Dec-03-2004, 8:53pm
I have always used a strap tied between the machines and to the tail. I put my head through the strap - that's me. That said, I received a mandolin with a strap button on the neck joint and figured I'd try it out. Well I found that I noticed it when playing up the neck or on chop chords. So, for the a-body, I decided (for me) the strap button was not an option.

fatt-dad

cascadepicker
Dec-05-2004, 3:01pm
lightningbug,
I installed a strap button on my Cascade by following the instructions from the Breedlove website. Worked out great.

lightningbug
Dec-05-2004, 5:27pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't see any instruction on the Breedlove site, but I did see the picture of the Rogue which shows the location.

I braided a strap last night. I left the ends long and tied them under the neck extension like mandoJohnny suggested. This works pretty well, but is it going to eventually put some marks in the finish?

steve in tampa
Dec-05-2004, 5:31pm
I have a two point w/ a strap button, and found it to be in an annoying spot. I use a (D'Addario) Planet Waves Acoustic Quick Release on the headstock. They are 3.25 from Elderly.

cascadepicker
Dec-06-2004, 12:47am
lightningbug,
The Folk of the wood web site has a diagram and instructions. Check here. Good luck
http://www.folkofthewood.com/page3694.htm

lightningbug
Dec-12-2004, 9:58am
Cascadepicker
Thanks for your efforts. I really appreciate the help. I still haven't decided whether to put the button on though. I've done this on guitars before and not had problems. I don't like having the strap tied off to the headstock on a guitar although I haven't tried it on the mandolin. The strap I braided and tied off under the neck extension is working out well.
This website is great!

GBG
Dec-13-2004, 9:29am
Call or email Breedlove and they will email the diagram and directions to install the strap button. They did that for me.

glauber
Dec-13-2004, 9:58am
IMHO, tying the left end of the strap to the peghead, under the strings, works fine. I have 2 mandolins, one has the second button and the other doesn't. Either way works fine for me.

fatt-dad
Dec-13-2004, 12:55pm
Let's just answer the question, "no".

f-d

lightningbug
Dec-13-2004, 6:39pm
F-D

"He's the kind of a guy who lights up a room just by flicking a switch - Unknown"

That sounds like Buddy Sorrell from the Dick Van Dyke show.

fatt-dad
Dec-13-2004, 8:59pm
F-D

"He's the kind of a guy who lights up a room just by flicking a switch - Unknown"

That sounds like Buddy Sorrell from the Dick Van Dyke show.
While I received this quote without attribution, the image of Buddy saying it rings too true.

f-d