PDA

View Full Version : RIP Warren Hellman

djweiss
Dec-19-2011, 1:23am
Warren Hellman, who personally financed the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in San Francisco passed away this evening. I don't think there is anyone else, at least on the West Coast, that promoted bluegrass (widely defined) as much as him..

Full article here:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/18/MNPR1M9LUD.DTL

BradKlein
Dec-19-2011, 4:44am
He also made the first grant to my tiny production company earlier this year, helping to make possible our radio coverage of Bill Monroe's centennial. It was a vote of confidence for which I remain extremely grateful.

The obit from the Bay Citizen. (http://www.baycitizen.org/obituaries/story/warren-hellman-dies-77/)

Michael H Geimer
Dec-19-2011, 7:56am
I lived in downtown SF for the early years of Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. Thanks to Mr. Hellman (and those around him) I saw some great acts, up close, for free. I always enjoyed the small stages.

I have an HSB poster from Hatch Show Print, second or third year I think, that is waiting to be framed and put up in the music room. It brings back good memories to look through all the names of performers, who I saw and who I didn't (you can't catch it all!)

- Benig

surfnut
Dec-19-2011, 1:14pm
Warren got into the music so much he learned to play banjo, started a little band. I got to see him play at a small local festival out of Hollister Ca. I believe his wife sang with the band . They had a good time and so did we. Rest in Peace

BradKlein
Dec-19-2011, 1:32pm
His little band grew to include Jimmie Dale Gilmore! An interesting aside is that he wasn't much of a musical instrument collector, and that's a good thing for all the banjo players out there. He could have bought most of the prewar 5-strings in the world if he'd been an accumulator of 'things' rather than music, musicians, good works and relationships with people.

barney 59
Dec-19-2011, 4:07pm
He was a neighbor and a friend and a really nice and extremely gracious man to everyone that came in contact with him.
I have a young guy working with me right now and when I told about Warren he related a story to me. He was working at a restaurant,actually the only restaurant in town, and Warren came in on an early cold Sunday morning with two women. My friend a new (and I would think unsuitable to the task) waiter had 3 glasses on a tray serving them water. He got the first 2 off the tray but the third took a tumble and the water went completely down Warren's back. Apparently he took it completely in stride,making jokes and making my friend feel as if it was perfectly o.k. I just was told the story a few minutes ago so I thought I'd tell it. Warren will be missed by many.

Warren has set up a trust that will keep HSBG going for years to come. He had a HSBG card that had his name on it and when you flipped it over it said "Warren has no say!"

kaybone
Dec-19-2011, 4:09pm
Sad. He was one of my new heros. Tired of all the corporate BS and greed He just walked away from Lehman Brothers, long before the s**t it the fan there. Personally financed the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival never charging admission. I was lucky enough to see him play with Jimmie Dale and the Wronglers this summer in Ohio. Here is some info:

http://www.baycitizen.org/obituaries/story/warren-hellman-dies-77/

http://www.baycitizen.org/warren-hellman-2/story/big-twang-theory/

journeybear
Dec-19-2011, 5:49pm
A friend of mine posted this on facebook and I was so charmed by his story I posted it elsewhere. Didn't think of starting a thread, not having known of him before this. Glad you did. He was remarkable in many ways. It doesn't diminish him in my eyes, but it is worth mentioning that the Bay Citizen, where this three-page obit is from, was founded by him last year, and he was the chairman. Even so, he lived a full and varied life and deserves recognition for his accomplishments. It is indeed gratifying to know the HSBF has been taken care of financially - he certainly would have known how to do this. ;) He sounds like quite the character, as those who knew him can surely attest. Godspeed!