PDA

View Full Version : Legendary Kentucky Mandolin of Nolan Faulkner 1905 F-4 Artist

aaronrose222
Dec-18-2011, 4:42pm
A few years ago, my grandfather Nolan Faulkner gave me his 1905 Gibson F-4 Artist serial 4519. It was stolen from him some years ago and he saw it for sale in a newspaper a couple of years later. I feel very honored to have this mandolin and I wanted to share some pics. this thing is freakin awesome! Hope you enjoy, and lemme know what you think about it.

Spruce
Dec-18-2011, 4:55pm
Woah...
Is that walnut on the back?

aaronrose222
Dec-18-2011, 4:56pm
It has rosewood back and sides

mandolirius
Dec-18-2011, 5:25pm
In my humble opinion, a truly legendary mandolin. Not only is it beautiful physically, it sounds amazing on the recording. I would love to hear it in the flesh, so to speak.

BTW, everyone should own this record. It's one of the hidden gems of the mandolin world.

MandoSquirrel
Dec-18-2011, 8:32pm
There's been a thread or two in the last few months regarding Mr. Faulkner & this mandolin. Those who know, or learn, of him, are still favorably impressed.

Ed Goist
Dec-18-2011, 9:35pm
Thank you so much for posting.
What a thrill to see this mandolin!
I, too, would love to hear it 'in the flesh'.

Don Grieser
Dec-18-2011, 9:42pm
Very cool mandolin. Is this recording available to buy in the digital age, or is it vinyl only? Would love to hear it.

Mike Bunting
Dec-18-2011, 10:30pm
In my humble opinion, a truly legendary mandolin. Not only is it beautiful physically, it sounds amazing on the recording. I would love to hear it in the flesh, so to speak.

BTW, everyone should own this record. It's one of the hidden gems of the mandolin world.

I have been looking for that recording for ages.

F-2 Dave
Dec-18-2011, 10:31pm
Nothing more elegant to my eye than a three pointer with a torch and wire head stock. That thing is beautiful.

MikeEdgerton
Dec-18-2011, 10:33pm
That is truly Torch and Wire. Beautiful stuff.

onassis
Dec-18-2011, 10:38pm
I am dying to hear this recording! Anyone know of a place where it's available?

mandolirius
Dec-19-2011, 3:55am
I'm not sure about availability. It's on Old Homestead and I'm not sure what the status of that label is. I'd love to make anyone a CD who's interested. A few years ago a friend scored an unwrapped copy on ebay and we made a CD from that, so I have a great digital copy. If the album's available, I don't want to bootleg but if not man, people need to hear this guy! He's right up there with Monroe, Wakefield or any of the great bluegrass mandolin stylists.

BTW Aaron, can you share the story of the theft and subsequent recovery?

Fretbear
Dec-19-2011, 4:28am
Blacktop three-point torch and wire, there's something you don't see everyday; I actually own that vinyl as well. The fretboard inlays are interesting, and you can also see where the first idea for the shape of the Loar mandola's scroll came from.

Ed Goist
Dec-19-2011, 10:30am
Looks like there is a copy available in France (http://www.priceminister.com/offer/buy/1958360/Faulkner-Nolan-The-Legendary-Kentucky-Mandolin-Of-33-Tours.html) (?). (Nice pics of the front & back of the album on this site).

Mike Black
Dec-19-2011, 10:51am
I just found this Miller Brother's gospel album as a free download that has Nolan on Mandolin too.

http://musicyouwont.blogspot.com/2010/07/sunday-morning-gospel-miller-brothers.html

mandolirius
Dec-19-2011, 1:59pm
To those that are pm-ing me, I'm not really comfortable offering to send folks an album they could buy otherwise. I wonder if anyone knows the status of Old Homestead Records and whether their catalogue is still available.

aaronrose222
Dec-19-2011, 3:19pm
I will get some more details from Nolan about the theft and recovery and where he obtained it originally. He said he would get working on finding more vinyls for anyone that needs them. We spoke yesterday and we decided at some point to record another album or at least a few songs. Since im an audio engineer, we thought it would be convenient and a good time to record more material. I will keep everyone posted on the progress once we start the sessions. Thanks for the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it!

-Aaron Rose

mrmando
Dec-19-2011, 3:21pm
Reportedly Mr. Faulkner has been playing some live dates around Detroit with someone named Long Tall Lou.

Ed Goist
Dec-19-2011, 3:46pm
Nolan Faulkner has recently jammed on stage with "Behind The Times" (https://www.facebook.com/behindthetimes?sk=info), a Detroit based Bluegrass band. Here is a blurry photo of Nolan from the Behind The Times Facebook page.

I just listened to The Legendary Kentucky Mandolin again for about the 975th time...In my opinion, Nolan Faulkner has the best phrasing and the best tremolo I have heard...Period. This guy's incredible.

Aaron, I'll be first in line if Nolan records new material. He is the Man.

mrmando
Dec-19-2011, 3:59pm
Old Homestead Records has a Web site and contact info if you wish to inquire about the current disposition of the LP. I don't see it listed in any of their catalogs.

http://home.comcast.net/~oldhomestead/online/contactus.html

mandolirius
Dec-19-2011, 4:10pm
Old Homestead Records has a Web site and contact info if you wish to inquire about the current disposition of the LP. I don't see it listed in any of their catalogs.

http://home.comcast.net/~oldhomestead/online/contactus.html

Just sent an inquiry.

Mike Black
Dec-20-2011, 10:54am
This is the response I received from Old Homestead.

Sir, The original LP is long out of print but I can make you a custom cd. I charge $20 plus $2.25 postage to put an lp on cd. You can pay by Pay Pal, Credit Card or send check or money order to Old Homestead Records, PO Box 100,
Brighton, MI 48116. Phone 810 227 1997
Thanks, John

Steve Ostrander
Dec-20-2011, 11:08am
Mr. Faulkner was very lucky to recover that mandolin. And you are very lucky to receive it as a gift. Take good care of her.

David
Dec-20-2011, 11:27am
Just recently I saw a copy of this LP at one of Nashville's used record shops, but passed over it for some reason. Guess I need to go back and buy it!

mandolirius
Dec-20-2011, 5:06pm
Just recently I saw a copy of this LP at one of Nashville's used record shops, but passed over it for some reason. Guess I need to go back and buy it!

Definitely!

Martian
Dec-21-2011, 6:27pm
Hey Aaron , I have known Nolan for years, and played with him tons of times, As a matter of fact, I was one of the first to see that pic of him on the Belle Isle bridge in Detroit, when his tapes came into the studio,(Dana Cupps house), I also called Nolan a few months back to let hm know people on Mando cafe wanted to know about him, I think he was very humbled by that fact and appreciative. I hope he is well. He asked me about doing some recording, but i am quite busy, and geography is an issue. Tell him Mike Marrs said hello, and Merry Christmas , please as well as you, glad you got that mando back

Clement Barrera-Ng
Feb-21-2012, 2:25pm
Just saw an ebay auction for a vinyl copy of the 'Legendary Kentucky Mandolin' album, in case anyone is interested (not my auction and NFI):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200717216925

Ed Goist
Feb-28-2012, 1:55pm
Here is a photo of Nolan Faulkner with his newly formed band:
Nolan Faulkner and The Cass Valley Ramblers
(For those interested, the band has a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nolan-Faulkner-and-The-Cass-Valley-Ramblers/341605279216018)).

Gregory Tidwell
Mar-11-2012, 4:52pm
Can someone answer a question for me please? I thought those tuners (Handels, IIRC) were only available in the late teens. Could those be replacements?

Miko
Mar-11-2012, 5:26pm
Can someone answer a question for me please? I thought those tuners (Handels, IIRC) were only available in the late teens. Could those be replacements?

Handel tuners were used by Gibson, Vega, and other builders on their higher end models from the very early 1900s on. I have a 1906 A3 and a 1908 H2 that both have Handel tuners.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Mar-12-2012, 1:48pm

Actually they were available until the late teens around the time of WWI.
http://www.mandolincafe.com/glossary/glossary_63.shtml