PDA

View Full Version : Great-Great Grandfather's Mandolin?

anyadang
Dec-18-2011, 10:53am
Yesterday I bought a mandolin at a local antique shop here in New Hampshire.

My new instrument didn’t come with any strings, so I bought some at the local music store. With the exception of one string, it tuned right up. The gear on one of the D string tuning keys is stripped on one side, but I did manage to get that one to D as well. Sounds great – well, sounds “good”. It might sound better if I knew how to play it.

I was hoping that someone might be able to help me identify its origin and age.

My great-great grandfather was a mandolin maker by trade, and he settled in this area (immigrating from Madrid Spain). I found documentation that shows he was also a performer (professional mandolin player).

I knew it was probably a long shot, but since I found the mandolin in local shop, it could have been one of my great-great grandfathers. Unfortunately, the mandolin is not labeled in any way (not visibly, but I am going to try to get inside it with a small mirror.)

My great-great grandfather’s name was Melquedes (or Melquiades) Hernandez (1876-1929). I would love to find one of his instruments. If anyone has heard of him, his music or his instruments, please let me know.

Jason Kessler
Dec-18-2011, 12:03pm
Well, I don't know anything about bowl backs, but I'll be the first, anyway, to jump in and say that I hope you put light strings on the instrument. Otherwise, you can compromise it profoundly.

Jim Garber
Dec-18-2011, 12:40pm
It does look to be in good shape. I would be careful of what strings you use on it. It should have light or even ultra light gauge ones. I doubt your local store had the right strings, so I would tune the strings down a little so as not to put too much stress on the instrument.

I assume there are no labels in the instrument. It does look interesting and somewhat different from the std vintage American ones esp the fact that it has a maple neck and bowl but a rosewood clasp. Also the neck join has a very intersting carving to conform to the bowl. That is pretty unusual, I believe. Other than that it looks pretty standard but in good condition.

I posted this on the other thread you mentioned this mandolin:

I found a reference to a Melquiades Hernandez in Paul Spark's Classical Mandolin. Youncan read the paragraph here (http://books.google.com/books?id=GFC1swWRWMIC&lpg=PA26&ots=adxtxmOO9Z&dq=Melquiades%20Hernandez%20mandolin&pg=PA26#v=onepage&q=Melquiades%20Hernandez%20mandolin&f=false). Sparks says that one of the leaders of the Spanish Students (the group that started the American mandolin craze in the late 1880s) was named Melquiades Hernandez. I would assume that he was either a different person of that same name or else was a leader of the group much later than their debut in the US. In any case, it sounds like he was an active player. Bear in mind tho, that that group didn't play mandolins but played bandurrias -- 12 string instruments that were similar but were more popular in Spain.

I would love top hear more about your GGGF -- at least what other things you can find about him. Any photos or other artifacts from his life?

anyadang
Dec-18-2011, 7:16pm
Jason and Jim,
Thank you very much on the advice about the strings. I got just for run of the mill strings - $10! It held the tune overnight, but I just loosened them up per your warnings. It might be wise for me to keep it as a collectable and get a modern one if I want to learn to play.

Jim - thanks for the link - it's got to be him. I have very little on him, but his background fits that part of the family tree - whereas his name / ethnicity does not. His house is a few miles from where I live today - they sell antiques out of it (not where I got the mandolin - hehe). A few years back the owners did find a plaque in the barn - like you would find on an instrument case, and it had his name on it. I forget what else it said exactly, I think "Melquides Hernandez Mandolin - Madrid Spain". I'm actively searching for more - I'll be happy to include any information here.

brunello97
Dec-18-2011, 7:40pm
Anya, are you certain on your GGF's dates? If correct, this would make him rather young during the Estudiantina Figaro visit to the US in the 1880s…. It is also possible that Sparks has his dates a bit muddled on the "later" history of the Figaro group when Melquiades Hernandez might have been a bit older and possibly able to lead the group. In any event, there seems a bit of a complication here.

I hope you are able to find further clues and pieces of information and that you keep us informed. Really fascinating story..worth a trip to Madrid for :)

Mick

anyadang
Dec-18-2011, 8:54pm
Anya, are you certain on your GGF's dates?
Mick

Sorry, it was May 13, 1856 to May 23, 1929 (1856-1829) (NOT 1876-).

And, this might help make a connection as well - his wife (my GGGMother) was a 1st Cousin to the opera star Madame Lillian Nordica. There is a lot written about her, and she traveled extensivly during that same erra. If Melquidas was a performer as well, I bet they met through this cousin. My GGGMother is listed with the profession of piano instructor in the 1920 and 1930 census - so, she may have been in the performance/music business earlier in life as well.

In the book Jim put a link to, I see there was also an Isodoro Hernandez in the group - he sounds like the leader. I wonder if he was a brother / cousin - possibly father to Melquidas.

I'll keep digging!

thank you all

anyadang
Dec-18-2011, 9:20pm
Quick update – I found a copy of one of the sources noted in the text Jim posted. It specifically mentions “Senor Mequiades Hernandez” as the leader of the “Spanish Students” and it mentions a “Hernandez Sextette of Boston”. Names and dates seem to be lining up. Cool.

Jim Garber
Dec-18-2011, 9:37pm
Did you ask the antique sellers where they got this mandolin? Was it bought locally and would it be possible to contact the person who sold it to them as to where they got it.

Also, I would look inside the instrument, check the neckblock and, if possible, the top with a mirror and see if there are any indications of the maker. I would find it hard to imagine that he would not indicate that he made it somewhere.

Ah, his birth date makes a lot more sense. BTW you might want to contact Spanish Cafe member almeriastrings (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/member.php?24430-almeriastrings) to see if he has any way to find out genealogical info of your GGGF.

anyadang
Dec-19-2011, 9:49pm
The owner / dealer of the mandolin wasn't in when I bought it, but I left my number. The owner of the shop didn't think she would know much about it though - it probably is from a local estate sale.

I have a tiny web cam that fits inside the mandolin, but I need to get some light in there too - so still working on finding some identifying marks...

Thanks for the contact! (Maybe he's my cousin!)

Did you ask the antique sellers where they got this mandolin? Was it bought locally and would it be possible to contact the person who sold it to them as to where they got it.

Also, I would look inside the instrument, check the neckblock and, if possible, the top with a mirror and see if there are any indications of the maker. I would find it hard to imagine that he would not indicate that he made it somewhere.

Ah, his birth date makes a lot more sense. BTW you might want to contact Spanish Cafe member almeriastrings (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/member.php?24430-almeriastrings) to see if he has any way to find out genealogical info of your GGGF.

anyadang
Dec-19-2011, 9:52pm
I found this scanned copy of an old periodica called "The Cadenza". Page (printed page) 15 - right side - discusses Melquiades Hernandez and the "Spanish Students": http://thejoelhooks.com/Site/Instruction_&_Music_Collections_files/Converse_Reminiscences%201.pdf

anyadang
Dec-19-2011, 10:41pm
The Spanish Students were know as "Estudiantina Española Fígaro" in Spain. There is an interesting archived thread about them : http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-33454.html

brunello97
Dec-20-2011, 8:37am
Yes, Anya, as you can see we have been turning this topic over for some time, which is why the story of your GGF offers such a tantalizingly interesting new direction.

I am with Jim viz the mandolin you posted. In many ways it looks basically similar to the maybe 10s of thousands of mandolins that were built in this country in the wake of the various Students, Spanish and otherwise. As Jim said, the pickguard is generic, though its shape shows up more commonly on Boston area made mandolins (Vega and all their predecessors.) That said, it doesn't look like a Vega mandolin.

Also curious are two things: the tailpiece profile and the four knobs for the strings are most typically seen on Italian made mandolins. American builders used different shaped tailpieces typically from US sources. As well, the way the gear profiles on the tuners are cut and fitted to the plate resemble those seen on Italian mandolins more than what is seen on US made tuners. That said, it doesn't look like an Italian made mandolin either.

I've attached a picture of those pieces from an Italian mandolin by Cristofaro that I am repairing (though this tailpiece has eight rather than four knobs.)

Those components might probably have been available on the east coast as imported items or leftovers from Italian immigrant luthiers who may have brought goods with them (which is highly speculative on my part.) It is a curious mandolin, highly generic in many respects with a few odd elements. My guess is that it was built between 1895 and 1905, neither much older or much newer than that. A pretty wide range, I know, but these were the salad days of bowlback mandolins in this country.

I hope you can find out more about your GGF and his times with the Tuna Figaro. It is great to have your story to add to history.

Mick

bmac
Dec-20-2011, 10:01am
I use a dental mirror and small flashlight to inspect interiors... you may need a pretty powerful light to reach the undersideo of the mandolin top. dental mirrors (or similar mirrors) can be found at most hardware stores.

anyadang
Dec-20-2011, 8:35pm
thank you all for your interest and support here - I never imagined anyone else would be as curious as I am about all this...

Yes, Anya, as you can see we have been turning this topic over for some time, which is why the story of your GGF offers such a tantalizingly interesting new direction.

I hope you can find out more about your GGF and his times with the Tuna Figaro. It is great to have your story to add to history.

Mick

anyadang
Dec-20-2011, 8:38pm
I use a dental mirror and small flashlight to inspect interiors... you may need a pretty powerful light to reach the undersideo of the mandolin top. dental mirrors (or similar mirrors) can be found at most hardware stores.

Well, I didn't have a little mirror, but I did have a little webcam and an electric candlestick...

I think I found nothing. There are no markings inside except a line around the aperture and the picture above... looks like a 15 maybe... maybe a 31. But, at least I didn't find one of those gold 'made in china' tags!

anyadang
Dec-23-2011, 8:05pm
From what else I have read, these probably arn't the actual "spanish" students, but the copycats - never the less, kind of neat...

This is probably really them - this photo is related to the World Expo in Paris 1878:

anyadang
Dec-24-2011, 4:30pm
Merry Christmas / Feliz Navidad everyone...

I found a website for a musem in Spain (or perhaps it is only online) that is dedicated to the Spanish Students. They have a lot of information about “Estudiantina Española Fígaro” but the students are a broader.... culture? that “Estudiantina Española Fígaro” came out of. (http://www.museodelestudiante.com/)

I wrote them a letter below.

Letter:

I found your website while researching my family history online.

I found a connection between the “Spanish Students”/“Estudiantina Española Fígaro” and my great-great-grandfather “Melquides Hernandez” in an American periodical (the Cadenza) dated circa 1900. The article was written by one of his students (actually music student) in Boston, Massachusetts, USA. There is also a reference to the “Hernandez Sextette”.

Other resources reference a “Isodoro Hernandez” as one of the “Spanish Students” musicians and a composer.

“Melquides Hernandez” is without a doubt my great-great-grandfather. A live only a few kilometers from his (last) home. Only through my recent research did I discover that he was a performer. The story that was passed down within my family is that he was a mandolin craftsman. That fact, and all my other resources tell me he is the same “Melquides Hernandez” that was at least a member of the “Estudiantina Española Fígaro”.

Other facts I have on “Melquides Hernandez” are that he was born May 13, 1856 in Spain (possibly Madrid) and passed away on May 23, 1929 in the USA. There is a close family connection to a world famous American opera star of the same era (Lillian (Norton) Nordica) – so it is easy to imagine how Melquides became acquainted with the rest of my family.

I am very eager to find out who Isodoro Hernandez was (it is easy to imagine he was related to Melquides – brother? Father?). And, I’m wondering if there is any detailed information about the “Estudiantina Española Fígaro” – they’re always identified as a group – never as individuals.

Any information you can provide or direct me toward is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

anyadang
Jan-15-2012, 5:31pm
I haven't had any luck identifying this instrument, but I did find a possible name of the great-great-grandfather's instrument company... "Boston Banjo Concert Company". Has anyone seen a Mandolin of this maker?