PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin-Banjo

jameywilhite
Dec-17-2011, 11:39am
I was given an old Bell Brand Mandolin Banjo. This instrument is in pretty good condition, but the bridge is missing, and the tailpiece is questionable. Does anyone know where one could find a replacement tailpiece? I was able to find a bridge for it at Elderly Instruments, but they didn't have the right tailpiece.

My other question is does anyone know what bridge this instrument would have had? I'm having difficulty figuring out whether I should get a 5/8" or 9/16" bridge, and whether the bridge should be flat or slanted top.

Thanks for your help!

allenhopkins
Dec-17-2011, 1:23pm
Bridge height will depend on the individual instrument -- how the neck is pitched (and this can change over the life of the instrument), how the head sits on the shell (higher or lower crown), overall design. Best bet would be to take it to a good instrument shop and try several bridge heights. Even if the shop doesn't carry mandolin-banjo bridges, you can use standard banjo bridges of different heights, just to measure which one fits your instrument. Then you can order a bridge of the correct height.

Mandolin-banjo tailpieces aren't common. If your instrument has a set-up where there's a threaded rod, similar to the brackets that hold the tension hoop on, that attaches the tailpiece, you can try modifying a simple mandolin tailpiece, perhaps like this one, (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Mandolin_tailpieces/Scalloped_Mandolin_Tailpiece.html) to accept the end of the threaded rod.

One of my favorite ploys is to visit a shop that does a lot of instrument repairs; many of them have "parts drawers" where tuners, bridges, tailpieces, banjo brackets, and other such-like are thrown after they're taken off unrepairable instruments. I've had good luck fishing through these to find little oddities needed for vintage instrument parts replacement. And the prices are usually pretty reasonable.

Parts off higher-end instruments get sold on the vintage market at a premium. Parts off "trade" level instruments, such as you apparently have, can be picked up at a decent price -- if you're able to find them.

jameywilhite
Dec-17-2011, 4:15pm
Thanks for the advice. I'll look into your recommendations. This is an interesting instrument, and I'm anxious to play it, but it is definitely a trade level instrument, and purely a novelty for me.

Jim Garber
Dec-17-2011, 9:37pm
I believe that Bell Brand is the name of the maker of the tailpiece, not the instrument. Best to post photos of what you have and we can help. Here is a pic of a few Bell Brand tailpieces (from Mugwumps site).

jameywilhite
Dec-18-2011, 1:57am
Interesting... The tailpiece on the right is definitely the tailpiece for my instrument. All the information I've been able to find online is that this should be a Bell Brand instrument, though admittedly, that name only appears on the tailpiece. There are no apparent identifying markings on the instrument itself, except a star inlay on the head and pearl (or synthetic?) dot inlays on the fingerboard. I'm out of town now, but when I get home I'll definitely post some photos to see if someone can offer more information. Thanks!

jameywilhite
Dec-20-2011, 12:02am
OK, as promised, here are some photos of the infamous "Manjo"...79963799647996579966

Hope someone can offer some insight as to what I have gotten myself into... Thanks in advance!

Jim Garber
Dec-20-2011, 8:04am
Why would you assume that the tailpiece is questionable and needs to be replaced? Unless it doesn't function I would clean it up and use it. Those are pretty common tailpieces. For some reason there are many banjos out there with no labels. This one may have been made for retail shops to put their own names on them. Have you taken the resonator off and looked inside, esp at the dowelstick? There may be a clue inside. Unless you can find a similar styled MB with bridge you prob will not know what the exact bridge was originally on it. Then again, you may not really care -- just to get the thing playable.

Anthill Music also carries serviceable mandolin banjo bridges. 1/2 inch (http://www.anthillmusic.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=155275&c=160043&i=251381665) and 5/8 inch (http://www.anthillmusic.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=155275&c=160043&i=234762279). I am not sure if those are similar to Elderly's. They are chaep enough to order one of each if you are not sure of the height.

bmac
Dec-20-2011, 11:20am
Very interesting instrument. in pretty decent condition it appears. The star on the headstock is common and means nothing. Probably a lower end instrument but could be a decent player. These are fun instruments, once very popular but now hardly anyone plays them. Here's one person: Google "rag time skedaddlers" for an interesting group playing early 20th C. ragtime.

allenhopkins
Dec-20-2011, 12:28pm
The "dot & dash" pattern of perforations in the resonator flange looks like Stromberg-Voisinet, the predecessor of Kay -- major Chicago producer of inexpensive and mid-range instruments. Lots of instruments were built by the big American manufacturers, for sale by various distributors, or through catalogs. Many had no maker logos, though as Jim G points out, some had information stamped into the dowel stick that runs through the shell.

Bell Brand tailpieces are found on a lot of US-made instruments from the early 20th century.

jameywilhite
Dec-20-2011, 3:55pm
Excellent information, gentlemen! Jim, regarding the questionability of the bridge, I have had a nearly new mandolin bridge break recently, so I suppose I'm a bit gun-shy... I was concerned this bridge may be a difficult find, so I wanted one on hand. I'll take a look "under the hood" and see if there's some info inside the shell.

Really appreciate the information! Hope you have a blessed Christmas season!

timcat
Dec-23-2011, 12:59pm
That is a Slingerland made instrument. I have two that are very similar. There may be a marking on the dowel stick but it may be Concertone or any one of the 21 other labels that Slingerland made instruments for.