PDA

View Full Version : Weber Special Edition in action

Lukas J
Dec-15-2011, 5:56pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3ksn7e4epk&feature=youtu.be

I put this video together so that people could see and hear a Weber Special Edition. I am SO happy with this instrument. I've been playing it every day for 3 months, and have performed about 15 shows with it in that time. Anyone else have one? How do you like yours?

-Lukas Johnson

Malcolm G.
Dec-15-2011, 6:30pm
That's great, Lukas. I like that a lot.

Which strings did you settle on and what pick did you use in the video?

greg_tsam
Dec-15-2011, 7:10pm
Is my screen dark or is his mando black?

ColdBeerGoCubs
Dec-15-2011, 8:13pm
Its a dark "leather" brown. Very nice looking, I love mine.

Lukas J
Dec-15-2011, 8:19pm
Sorry about the darkness. I turned all of the lights on in my apartment but the fact that they were on-screen made it appear darker than it should have. I have some pictures that I'll attach on here that more accurately capture the color.

I am using a Blue Chip CT-55. I have been playing on Dunlop Ultex 1.14mms for the past year, but a month ago I thought I'd try out this pick I've heard so much about. It's a good pick, but what helps me the most is that it doesn't wear so much. No wear means my pick is the same pick at the start of a gig as at the end of it, so my picking has improved with consistency.

I have been using EXP-74 strings, but I've got elixirs on for this recording. I'm up in the air still as to which I like better, but I'm actually thinking I like the EXPs best. I also like the standard J-74s but my hand oils kill them faster than would happen with most other people.

Anyway, I had some money saved up from gigs and farmwork, and some money from family when I graduated from WSU last May. I my options were: 1) upgrade from my Epiphone and have a mandolin I'd love to play daily, or 2) Feed it to the Grad School Tuition Monster in less than one semester. Needless to say, I am happy with my decision. Saving longer and buying a wonderful mandolin from great people is worth it.

Barry Wilson
Dec-15-2011, 8:23pm
very nice sounding. what chord was that at 1:29?

Lukas J
Dec-15-2011, 8:24pm
Here are a few pictures that more accurately show the color and the inlay.

Lukas J
Dec-15-2011, 8:34pm
The chord at 1:29... well, if I'd had my pinky on fret 5, it would be a C7, but I'm playing G-E-Bb-e (0-2-1-0), which is just a simplification on my part and gets the C7 flavor without the root (the bass player'd be playing it, anyway) :mandosmiley:

ColdBeerGoCubs
Dec-15-2011, 8:37pm
Did you get that rooster put in by weber?

Lukas J
Dec-15-2011, 8:43pm
Yes, Bruce agreed to make and install the inlay for me. I sent him an email with the graphic I designed (I just made a high contrast version of a picture) and it turned out great.

JeffD
Dec-15-2011, 11:52pm
That is a beautiful instrument.

brmichaelpaul
Dec-16-2011, 8:22am
Yeah I have a Weber special edition too...
She is incredible.
Nice pickin' by the way

http://www.youtube.com/user/brmichaelpaul?feature=mhee

Lukas J
Dec-16-2011, 9:10am
Thanks. By the way, I saw a vid of you playing "Shalom Aleichem" the other day. That is a GREAT tune! I arranged it for my band (we play mostly Bluegrass and some Old-Time, but our guitarist's primary instrument is clarinet, so we have about half a set of Klezmer music that we also play).