PDA

View Full Version : Brad Laird??

AndSoItBegandolin
Dec-14-2011, 7:27pm
So I've been hunting down some free beginners material online and I happened across Brad on youtube and I kind of like his videos but it seems to me they are very spotty. As in, he skips lessons and refers to lessons that I cannot find on youtube. Does anyone have any knowledge of Brad Laird? Whats up with the spotty lessons? And does anyone have any good starter material that I could access for free?

I am learning a couple of songs right now (Whiskey Before Breakfast- another youtube teacher and I'll Remember You Love in my Prayers- Clinch Mountain Sweethearts) The Ralph Stanley song I am attempting to learn just by ear which has proved quite difficult. I would be very grateful if anyone could dig up a tab or write one out for me!!

Rick Albertson
Dec-14-2011, 7:34pm
http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/mandolin/lessons.html

Brad's videos are great! Lots of free ones; others for $5.99 -- what a bargain.

Lukas J
Dec-14-2011, 8:55pm
Rick hit it on the head... He has great quality lessons, and nothing in this world is free. The ones that you have found are free samples, and he has a great deal of other lessons online for a small fee. There have been other Cafe posts that attest what a great resource Brad (a Cafe member) is to the mandolin world.

Loretta Callahan
Dec-14-2011, 11:57pm
Brad's lessons got me started. I was happy for the free lessons, and also happy to pay for the others. This is how many musicians make their living. I'm happy to support them. Also, I really like the print outs Brad provides.

LarryMando
Dec-15-2011, 3:37pm
I also have gotten much out of his videos - especially his video Soloing in Moveable Positions - - - I have been milking the concepts in this video at jams for over a year now . . . in fact my testimonial came up when I went to look at this video sample on web page.

PT9Baja
Dec-15-2011, 4:38pm
I split time between Brad L and a young fellow on EHow. I don't even know his name but good low key beginner stuff. My problem is there is to much stuff online and I have to limit what I work on. I am a total newb but having fun.

chipotle
Dec-15-2011, 11:13pm
Brads online videos have taught me a lot. The free ones got me interested enough to purchase some of his others. His teaching style and approach have helped me a lot, they have been a great value for me.

Bluman
Dec-16-2011, 10:59am
Don't forget his video about how to change strings. I review this every time I change strings

Gelsenbury
Dec-21-2011, 8:03am
Don't forget his video about how to change strings. I review this every time I change strings

"It-will-NOT-slip" ... always reminds me of Lord of the Rings. :) It's a very useful video.

Brad Davis
Dec-21-2011, 7:39pm
That's funny to me....I always review Brad's video on changing strings when I need to change strings....I thought I was the only one that did that!

Brad's videos are GREAT. I have found his videos very helpful. I would recomend buying the packages...you basically get a free video that way. You can go at your own pace and I think he does an excellent job at explaining things at a level anyone can understand. If you want a better explanation, then you can always get his Mandolin Master Class that goes more in depth.

I can say this.....Jan 1 of this upcoming year (2012) will be my 1 year anniversary of picking up a mandolin. I would not be where I am at today without Brad Laird's videos. No way. I am not an expert by no stretch of the imagination, but I can sit in on a jam session and at least tread water.

tburcham
Dec-21-2011, 8:14pm
I have his videos on pentatonic improvisation. He is a great teacher.

BradleyCharles
Dec-21-2011, 10:51pm
Go for it guys, I just bought his Mandolin Improvisation Basics DVD. Perpetual motion exercise is great and easy chord switching is fun too. My new favourite noodle record is Merle Haggard The Bluegrass Sessions. May have traded my Brentrup for a Stanley. Woohoo!

Bradley

jdmeyers77
Dec-22-2011, 9:57am
Let me pipe in. I find Brad's style absolutely perfect for me. I have recently purchased a couple of his $5.99 lessons and feel they are a great bargain and the perfect length at 15 minutes. If you are reading this, Brad, thanks so much!