PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable Consignment Rates

mandodon
Feb-19-2004, 12:16pm
I am considering placing an instrument on consignment with an establishment for the first time. #Can anyone comment on what to expect for a reasonable consignment rate, as in a percentage range. #Just never done this before and wouldn't know what to expect.

Also, I was wondering what the normal procedure was for pricing a consigned instrument...is this something the establishment would do, or do you as the consigner give them a price to OK?

gretschbigsby
Feb-19-2004, 12:23pm
I'd bet on 20%. Some shops (especially smaller ones) might go 15%. Gruhn charges 25%....

Bob A
Feb-19-2004, 12:24pm
I've gone the consignment route on occasion. The deal with my dealer is an 80/20 split. He'll set a price that he thinks is on the high edge and see if it lingers, then drop a bit if necessary. Sometimes I'm firm on the price, and the instrument will sit a long time.

If I don't want to wait, he'll offer me 60% of what he thinks the market value is, and will then own the instrument outright.

mandodon
Feb-19-2004, 12:29pm
thanks for the info!

Big Joe
Feb-19-2004, 2:37pm
We expect a 25% commission on any consigned instrument. We are pretty fussy about what we will take on consignment. I can't afford to have wall space used up by a product that will not move. I will tell the consignor what I think it should be priced at to start, what we are really likely to sell it for and what he would net at that point. If he is happy with that, we go ahead. If not, he can sell it on e-bay or whatever. I want to help our customers, on the other hand, we must utilize our wall and floor space to our best methods of turning a profit. Retail property is not cheap and it is easy to forget that.

Mandobar
Feb-25-2004, 9:07pm
my dealer takes 15%. www.acousticmusic.org

Mando Medic
Feb-25-2004, 11:54pm
As a dealer in mandolins, I drive a lot of customers to my shop and therefore turn a lot of mandolins. I charge a 25% consignment fee. I also have a minimum 90 day consignment request so that I am able to develop a market. I set the price usually on an instrument. Sometimes the seller will set their price and say anything over that I can have. That can work too. Ken Cartwright/Dealer with a vested interest.