PDA

View Full Version : builders and dealers

thistle3585
Dec-13-2011, 8:44am
I am going to Nashville in January for a youth hockey tournament and thought I'd take a mandolin or two with me to take to a couple stores to introduce myself, show off an instrument and get some feedback from some dealers. Is that looked at as being too presumptuous? I'm curious how builders approach dealers in that respect? Should I call and set up an appointment? What would be a couple stores that I should visit? I'm not even sure what my goal is but I figured that if I'm going to be there I might as well get some feedback from some guys on the front lines. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

JEStanek
Dec-13-2011, 9:04am
I would assume appointments would be best. I don't think you'll have a fair shot if you just walk in off the street and the shop owner a) doesn't know you're coming and b) may not have the time to adequately review and appraise your instruments. As a courtesy I would request an appointment and provide a brief bio/info on yourself and a link to your website.

Come prepared to tell the potential dealers what's in it for them, your pricing and be ready to negotiate percentages. This is a formal business meeting and very important for both of you to venture into in a smart, planned manner.

Jamie

sunburst
Dec-13-2011, 11:26am
Andrew! Still playing youth hockey! Cool! Somehow I thought you were older than that...

It's not considered presumptuous, necessarily. Dealers are commonly interested in checking out builder's offerings, but they can be a somewhat different lot compared to other segments of the population. If there is a chance that a dealer may want to acquire an instrument for re-sale, he/she wants to get it for the least he/she can and sell it for the most he/she can. In their own interest, they may "nit-pick" or otherwise emphasize reasons why they can't give you more than $XX for your instrument.

This is a little bit beside the point of this thread, but when you are looking for honest feedback, you are most likely to get that from other builders. Players often don't want to hurt your feelings, and also often don't know the finer points of instruments, so feedback from them is likely to be more positive than warranted. Dealers don't want to over-pay, so feedback from them can be less positive than warranted. Other builders, because they are in, or have been in your position, can often offer an honest critique.

Big Joe
Dec-13-2011, 5:02pm
I would be happy to see your work. I would love to look it over and make any suggestions. I don't carry a lot of inventory, but we are basically a repair/ restoration/ custom build shop. We repair a Lot of mandolins and have a pretty good idea what makes them good and what makes them work. Again, probably not in the market to buy, but would love to help if we can.

Steevarino
Dec-13-2011, 7:37pm
Hey Andrew,

You'd BETTER stop by and see me while you are in Nashville. After all we've been through, I think you owe me a beer. Or, maybe I owe YOU a beer. Anyway, stop by and check out our newer, bigger, and even busier shop!

Steve
www,CumberlandAcoustic.com
www.RedLineAcoustics.com

thistle3585
Dec-14-2011, 10:25am
Thanks guys. I've been working more towards building spec instruments and thought I'd see what a dealer might have to offer me. Any suggestions on dealers in Nashville that would be open to electric mandolins.

Steve,
I wasn't sure whether to come by or not. I wasn't sure whether to expect a beer or a gun. :) I'll give a call when I get my schedule.

Frank Ford
Dec-15-2011, 2:54am
When approaching a dealer for the first time, you SHOULD make an appointment, and show up on time. In addition:

1. Tempting as it may be, do NOT tell the dealer how good your instrument is - let him (her) tell YOU.

2. Listen attentively to criticism. That may be your key to improvement. The best makers we know are also the best at listening to what people say about their work, and acting on the consensus.

3. Do NOT get into "defending" your instrument or yourself against negative observations. Simply say "Thanks for your comments."

4. Be upfront about your reasons for bringing the instrument in. If you want the dealer to sell it, and other indications seem favorable, suggest consignment - it lowers the risk for the shop. IF you are not trying to sell it, say so right away - that can cut through a lot of stress on both sides of the counter.

5. KNOW AHEAD about retail discount structure. If you don't know about "B-Mark discounts" or exactly how retailers calculate discounts by percentage, learn that stuff before you go in.

The worst offender came into our shop and told us point-blank how much better his stuff was than anything we had to offer. Needless to say, he was a major loser in all departments.

The absolutely best first impression was made by a builder who asked if he could show us his instruments and asked only that we tell him if we thought he was on the right track. He never mentioned any prospect of selling them at all. His work was stunning, and we begged him to let us have some. . .