PDA

View Full Version : tuning

Monsolido
Dec-12-2011, 5:15pm
Hi everybody !

After not playing for a few years, I decided to buy a new mandolin and get back to it. I bought the round model from Gewa, which was the only one in store.

Now I know it's a cheap model and I shouldn't expect too much, but I can't get it to sound correctly.

When using an electronic (or online) tuner, the open strings do sound well together, but not when pinched : the D strings at the 5fth fret sound nothing like the A strings... So I can play only at the top part.

When I try to tune them together with the fret method, the open strings sound bad and a chord will be awful. That may be a lack of my ear practice, I don't know...

Any advice ?

Thanks mando café ! ;)

coreybox
Dec-12-2011, 5:28pm
5th fret on the D string should sound a G. 7th fret is A.

Monsolido
Dec-12-2011, 5:34pm
Yes thanks ! I meant the 7th fret..

Monsolido
Dec-12-2011, 5:48pm
I just checked that I did it right.. Tuned the A and E strings with the tuner, then on the 7th fret it's really bad.

It gave me an idea : after tuning the A strings, I give a pinched D or E to the tuner, and it says it's not correct. How come ?

Malcolm G.
Dec-12-2011, 5:55pm
Welcome Monsolido,

Sounds like intonation problems.

Loosen the A and D strings so you can slide the bridge around a bit.

With your tuner, tune the G strings perfectly then press at the 12th fret - still a perfect G? If sharp, push bridge towards the tail piece and start again. If flat, go the other way.

Once you get the G, do the same with E.

Then check G again.

Once you've got these outside strings as intonated as you can, tune the A and D strings to pitch and try your chords again.

Monsolido
Dec-12-2011, 6:01pm
Ah thanks a lot ! Just reading the method learned me much ! I'll do it right away :)

Monsolido
Dec-12-2011, 7:40pm
After a long calibration I finally finished... I had to move the bridge quite much : more than 1cm on the left side, and half on the right side, so it's not even. But it sounds good, thank you Malcom !