PDA

View Full Version : Which Blue Chip pick?

scgc.om
Dec-12-2011, 2:10pm
I'm having trouble getting an answer from the Blue Chip website.

I currently use either a Wegen TF 100 (bevelled right hand) or a Red Bear C-LGT-SB. Love them both but would like to get a comparable Blue Chip.

As my Wegen and RB indicate, I like a large triangle, fairly thin, fairly pointy, bevelled right.

Am I right that BC is so strong that the pick can actually be thinner than a Wegen or a RB and still perform the same?

Which BC should I choose??

Thanks for help.

mandobassman
Dec-12-2011, 2:19pm
I have both Wegen and Blue Chip and don't find that to be true. I actually find the Wegen to be more stiff than BC. I had a Wegen TF-140 1.4mm and a Blue Chip TAD 60 1.5mm. I think they had about the same feel, although the BC has a better grip because of the material. I would think a TAD 50 (1.25mm) would be the closest to the TF 100 in stiffness. The TAD 40 would be exactly the same in thickness but, like I said, I think the Wegen is stiffer, therefore I think the TAD 50 would be closer.
I can't speak for the Red Bear. I have never used one.

I have never been able to get an answer through the web site either. You can use this email:
mgoins@bluechippick.net

or call Matthew Goins directly at: 865-803-9442

You can tell him what you have and he can advise you better than we can what an equivalent would be.

Brent Hutto
Dec-12-2011, 2:53pm
Strength only matters if you're worried about breaking the pick. In my experience the Blue Chip material is slightly stiffer than the Wegen material and far stiffer than Red Bear material.

Are you wanting to match the amount of flex in the pick? Because I find darned little flex in a CT55 or TPR60 Blue Chip. Even a TF120 or TF140 Wegen doesn't flex enough to matter much to me.

When you get down to TF100 or a "35" thickness Blue Chip pick there is a bit of give but still not much at all. At any rate, the thickness of the pick per se (and the shape of the edge) matter whether the pick flexes or not. So you can sort of mix and match flex and thickness by choosing between the various materials.

mandobassman
Dec-12-2011, 3:30pm
Just to clarify, there is no "35" offered in the TAD model. That would be a .89mm thickness. The TAD 40 would be the thickness equivalent (1.0mm) to the TF 100. Brent is right about the flex, though. There is not enough flex in any of these to make much difference. If you are looking to be close to the TF 100, I would try the TAD 40 or TAD 50. You can always send it back to Blue Chip if you changed your mind.

Brent Hutto
Dec-12-2011, 4:42pm
I have one of the Jazz LG 35's which is a much smaller shape than a TAD. But even such a small pick does have some flex when it's only 0.89mm thick. Of course a 0.89mm nylon or Acetal pick flexes like a son of a gun in comparison.

I used to have a TAD40 or TPR40 or something and did not notice much flex but then again I only owned it for a short while so I don't remember in any detail.

scgc.om
Dec-14-2011, 1:12pm
Thanks for help above. I e-mailed Matthew Goins, got a detailed response back in minutes, and ordered 2 - TAD 40s with confidence. This is a great company!

JeffD
Dec-14-2011, 4:43pm
I had a Wegen TF-140 1.4mm and a Blue Chip TAD 60 1.5mm. .

Those are the ones I use. That and the Red Bear Heavy C-SB.

stratton7584
Dec-15-2011, 10:59am
I currently have the tad and the kenney smith edition blue chip picks. The kenney smith is rather small but its a great pick!