PDA

View Full Version : Factory Second?

Jim Daniels
Dec-12-2011, 12:44pm
I picked up an Epiphone MM-70 at an estate sale at what I'm hoping is a good deal ($250). It has a blue sticker inside K'zoo/Japan and the number 80280, but I don't know the year. So maybe some knowledgeable picker can help me with that. But the main question I have is about what's on the back of the head stock. It says "Second" and below that "B". What the what? Huh? Help me out.

To recap: Good deal? What year? and What the what is the Second B?

Big Joe
Dec-12-2011, 1:10pm
The price would seem to be a good one, especially if the mandolin is in good condition. If it needs repair that savings can quickly be lost. These mandolins were Japanese made in the early 70's most likely. At that time some instruments were marked "second". This was used to refer to a finish defect somewhere on the instrument. Many were not readily noticeable new, and I suspect that 30-40 years of play and wear may well hide the imperfection completely.

These are not the same as "Gibson" mandolins, but can be a good entry to mid level and the expense is not too high. I don't know what the "B" itself means, but it could be another way of designating a second. If it plays good, sounds good, and you like it, then it is a good deal. If not, then get it checked out and see what it may need and it may be a good mandolin. In other words, you did fine.

EdHanrahan
Dec-12-2011, 2:52pm
I bought an Epiphone 12-string guitar new in mid-'71 (I mistakenly called it '72 in another recent post). It's blue interior label is pre-printed with "Kalamazoo, MI", while the black plastic neck-bolt cover (Fender-style bolt-on) is imprinted with "Made in Japan".

A year or two ago, I think someone here noted that Epi production was moved to Japan sometime in '70 or '71, and many of the existing "Kalamazoo" labels went along for the ride. It would be sometime later that "Japan" was added to the newer-printed inside labels. Hope that helps!

FWIW, model is FT-160 and serial # is 08470, but I have no idea what that means. $72 back then... all I could afford!