PDA

View Full Version : Mando pickguard

bluemtgrass
Dec-11-2011, 2:03pm
Is there a certain preferred position for a mando pickguuard ? I'd like to mininize the slight dampening effects that may have occurred. Currently it is mounted from the side of the neck and on the side of the mando with a threaded rod that has an approx 1 inch square block of wood with a felt/sponge bottom. Although I've lifted it on occasion and strummed a few strings and can't descern a difference it seems impossible that its not dampening it a tad. Along with the positioning is the felt/sponge the way to go or is some other material a better way to go ? I find it much easier to play & pick so removing it isn't an option. :)

Doug Edwards
Dec-12-2011, 7:54am
You may need to go to an abbreviated style PG that floats above the sound board. Most are mounted using two pins into the side of the fretboard/extention. Several threads describe how they are mounted. BTW, don't ask who uses a PG or not. Do what you want to do.

mandroid
Dec-12-2011, 11:37am
2 pins in the edge of the neck + the edge brace does not interfere with the soundboard vibrating
its screwed into the kerfed lining the top is glued to, if there is only 1 pin into the neck,
having the 2nd one added will give you the needed suspension.

I just put a felt button on my old A it pivots on the fingerboard pin.
but drilling that 2nd hole is difficult.. if not tooled up well to do this job..

bluemtgrass
Dec-13-2011, 4:36pm
I put this on with a small wood brace on the side of the neck which sits above the top and doesn't contact it. That side is very secure. The other screw is on the side of the mandolin which supports the pc via a brass threaded rod. At the end of the rod there is a approx one inch block that has the felt underneath. This does rest on the top just to the left of the F hole. I'm wondering if it would be advantageous to simply move the wooden block via the threaded rod almost to the end of the pc where it would contact the top almost at the side of the mandolin. This way it would be on the other side of the F hole ( the right side of the F hole ) where it would seem to have a minimal effect on the top moving. I may have to cut the wooden block a tad to keep it from showing but that's a minor issue.
The more I think about it, I'm now wondering why it would be mounted any other way ? The pc came with the felt block, threaded rod and also the wooden brace to screw onto the neck. Any thoughts pro or con ?

:)