PDA

View Full Version : Tavy #3: A lot like #2, but better????

Tavy
Dec-11-2011, 12:48pm
A break with tradition - since everyone says "great looker what's it sound like?" - I thought I'd post the sound files first, and then the images in the follow up ;)

Two tunes, both acoustic and plugged in, note the plugged in ones are in stereo (yes 2 channels of fun to play with!). IMO the main difference between them is you can hear the "new string brightness" quite strongly on the acoustic recordings, but not plugged in.

Tavy
Dec-11-2011, 12:55pm
And now back to tradition, and some images: Kay styled mandolin, cylinder profile top and back, Sitka top, walnut back and sides, African mahogany neck. Also had a bit of an experiment with inlay on this one, though I need some better ideas I think!

Pickup is a K&K twin spot, wired through a push-pull volume control that switches the output between mono and stereo.

Anyhow let me know what you think.

Cheers, John.

Jared Heddinger
Dec-11-2011, 1:18pm
Whoa! Very beautiful. I love seeing some departure from the norm. I love the way the treble notes ring in the samples. Is that a traditional scale length?

Tavy
Dec-11-2011, 2:42pm
Whoa! Very beautiful. I love seeing some departure from the norm. I love the way the treble notes ring in the samples. Is that a traditional scale length?

Thanks JHedd, scale length is a Sobel inspired 36.5cm - so just slightly longer than normal.

GKWilson
Dec-11-2011, 5:43pm
Another beautiful mandoin Tavy. Sounds great too.
I like the inlay. Understated, but in perfect harmony with the mandolin.
Very 'classy' looking.
You keep up this fine work you won't have much time for restorations.
Gary

John Hill
Dec-11-2011, 5:55pm
That's sharp! I really like the plugged in tone.

Jill McAuley
Dec-11-2011, 9:09pm
Lovely work, pure class that!

Cheers,
Jill

Steve Sorensen
Dec-11-2011, 10:01pm
Really beautiful! Love the binding!
Steve

bwachter70
Dec-11-2011, 10:10pm
Very nice looking mandolin.

Jake Wildwood
Dec-12-2011, 1:34am
Sweet instrument! I'm hooked.

Stereo K&K? What, you K-k-crazy?? To separate it into different channels for recording to give it a stereo more-bassy, more-trebly image on solo material?

Also I really do like the inclusion of a vol knob up there.

Tavy
Dec-12-2011, 5:13am
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Sweet instrument! I'm hooked.

Stereo K&K? What, you K-k-crazy?? To separate it into different channels for recording to give it a stereo more-bassy, more-trebly image on solo material?

Also I really do like the inclusion of a vol knob up there.

Definitely crazy ;)

Basically an experiment - given that there are two pickups it seemed a shame not to make full use of both - when the instrument was in the white with the pickups just taped on it only semi-worked (not enough signal strength really), but now it's all finished with the pickups superglued in place there's bags and bags of signal and based on these quick tests I think it's worked really well. There's still some "piezo thump" from the plugged in sound, especially when playing tremolo, I really wish that could be eliminated, but I fear not..... whether I'll use it for recording plugged in is yet to be seen, but I'll certainly experiment some more with it... I'd probably narrow the panning compared to the samples above if I did. Even so it's surprising how well the too pickups each pickup both trebble and bass given that they're right under the bridge feet.

Malcolm G.
Dec-12-2011, 6:03am
Tavy,

The K&K folk recommend using two layers of their double-sided tape instead of super glue if handling noise/thump is a potential problem.

Unfortunately once glued ...

I installed the large triple pick-ups in my 12 string guitar. Because of the location and installation process, they have to be glued. Boy, talk about handling noise! Sounds like bumping around a cheap Hi-Z microphone. TONS of volume though!

A big K&K fan.

Tavy
Dec-12-2011, 6:29am
Tavy,

The K&K folk recommend using two layers of their double-sided tape instead of super glue if handling noise/thump is a potential problem.

When the instrument was in the white, and I was just testing out the idea, I used two layers of their tape and wasn't that impressed with the output.

BTW I don't get handling noise, just a touch of "pick thump" that you can hear on the samples, I'll have to dig around and see if it's any less noticeable on the recordings I made when I was using tape...

red7flag
Dec-12-2011, 7:14am
Simply love the tone of that baby. It really sings. The look is a bit different for me and being a curmudgeon, I don't warm up quickly, to new things. But, I found that I warmed up much more quickly after hearing the sound bits.

Marc Woodward
Dec-13-2011, 3:27am
Lovely, John, beautiful design, looks great and sounds great too!
Marc

Jim Garber
Dec-13-2011, 9:41am
I nearly missed this one. Wonderful and after my own heart: I love the KayKraft design esp when adapted to a modern instrument. Wonderful.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Dec-13-2011, 11:41am
I really like everything about it John - the design, the execution, and the sound. Even things that I normally would shy away from like a volume nob, I find it to be tastefully integrated into the whole design. Well done, and you're definitely on your way to a long and fruitful building career if you so choose

Ben Milne
Dec-15-2011, 1:19am
That thing looks glorious. Congratulations Tavy, looking forward to giving your clips a listen when I am on a suitable device.

Avi Ziv
Dec-15-2011, 1:27pm
Tavy - that's beautiful all around!

Excellent work

Rodney Riley
Dec-15-2011, 1:50pm
Wow, :disbelief: I LOVE it. Absolutely beautiful. Would love to have one... And maybe a M-style Boat Paddle Ukelele to keep it company. ;)