PDA

View Full Version : Quality F style mandolin in the $300 - $700 range for beginner

daviddward1
Dec-09-2011, 12:03pm
I am a long time guitar player, and have really enjoyed playing my brother's mandolin lately. He spent over $1000 on his, but I am looking for something a little less. $700 is about my max, and would like to keep it around $500. I have heard good things about both Eastman and Loar. I live in Washington DC, and a lot of places around here carry Eastmans, but I cant find anyone who carries Loar. I'd like to play them both to get a feel for what I like better. Any preferences or advice? Or any idea where I could find a Loar to play in the area?

Also, any tips on what I should look for/play while I am testing them out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot. I am really excited about this and very glad to soon be a part of this community!

daviddward1
Dec-09-2011, 12:17pm
I am a long time guitar player, and have really enjoyed playing my brother's mandolin lately. He spent over $1000 on his, but I am looking for something a little less. $700 is about my max, and would like to keep it around $500. I have heard good things about both Eastman and Loar. I live in Washington DC, and a lot of places around here carry Eastmans, but I cant find anyone who carries Loar. I'd like to play them both to get a feel for what I like better. Any preferences or advice? Or any idea where I could find a Loar to play in the area?

Also, any tips on what I should look for/play while I am testing them out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot. I am really excited about this and very glad to soon be a part of this community!

**Sorry, but I am new to the forum - I accidentally posted this in "information about mandolins" earlier, but meant to post here. Thanks for your help and for your patience with a newbie.

pdb
Dec-09-2011, 3:15pm
A models will give more bang for your buck. Eastman 300 series, The Loar 300,400, and Kentucky 505 come to mind in this price range. All would be a good choice.

John Hill
Dec-09-2011, 3:29pm
I played a J Bovier recently that was a very nice instrument. Had the meatiest, chunkiest G & D's I've heard in a lower priced mando. I'd give them some consideration too.

allenhopkins
Dec-09-2011, 3:33pm
...I live in Washington DC, and a lot of places around here carry Eastmans, but I cant find anyone who carries Loar. I'd like to play them both to get a feel for what I like better...Or any idea where I could find a Loar to play in the area?...

Middle C Music (http://www.middlecmusic.com/) on Wisconsin Ave. lists Loar mandolins.

There are several other brands you could consider for an F-model in your price range: the Rover RM-75 and Kentucky KM-675 are in that general area.

What to consider: (1) all solid woods, top, back & sides; (2) carved rather than pressed top -- "hand-carved" if possible; (3) make sure that the dealer from whom you buy it can give you a good set-up.

I'm a big Eastman fan, owning four of them now, but Loar, Kentucky, and to a somewhat lesser extent Rover, are all good mandolins. You'll get advice (have already) to "buy an A-model instead," and you do get more acoustically-relevant features for the same price if you forego the F-model ornamentation. However, in your price range, good F-model mandolins are definitely available.

daviddward1
Dec-09-2011, 4:43pm
Any recommendations if I am comparing a Loar 500 or 520 with an Eastman 315?

allenhopkins
Dec-09-2011, 4:59pm
Dave, my man, don't you have the exact same thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?79891-Quality-F-style-mandolin-in-the-300-700-range-for-beginner) going in the "Looking For Information" forum? Highly unnecessary to ask the same question in two different places.

Moderators: how about a consolidation here -- 'specially since this thread hasn't accumulated any responses?

daviddward1
Dec-09-2011, 5:14pm
Allen,

Thanks a lot, man. Very helpful. Middle C lists Loar, but they currently only have one mandolin in stock and it is an entry level Savannah.

I am leaning towards an F model as I will be playing more bluegrass than anything else and was told the F was more along those lines. The two I keep seeing that seem to get good reviews within this range are the Loar 500 and 520 and the Eastman 315 and 515.

And yes, you are right, I did have this thread on the general forum as well. I thought I was posting it here, realized it was there, and not sure how to take it down. I am (obviously) new to the game here, thanks for your advice and patience!

JEStanek
Dec-09-2011, 5:18pm
I merged these threads so all the answers could be in one place.

Jamie

daviddward1
Dec-09-2011, 5:25pm
Thank you, sir!

Laird
Dec-09-2011, 5:29pm
The two I keep seeing that seem to get good reviews within this range are the Loar 500 and 520 and the Eastman 315 and 515.

Can't speak for the others, but I don't think you'd find a Eastman 515 in that price range. I haven't been pricing them lately, but even used I think they top $700. That's the mando I went for, and no regrets.