PDA

View Full Version : Oh The Temptation!

mandolirius
Dec-02-2011, 5:41am
I have a mandolin I've never seen. It's a high quality professional instrument by a name builder. I got it because I had a Randy Wood for sale on consignment and the store wound up making a trade on my behalf that includes this drool-worthy mandolin.

The trouble is, I just had to make a heart-breaking decision between the Wood (a fantastic mandolin) and the Mowry I now have. I love the Mowry and don't want to go through another tough choice. So I am resisting. The mandolin remains in Nashville and will hopefully sell soon so I won't have to think about it anymore.

How's that for MAS resistance?

mrmando
Dec-02-2011, 5:57am
I'm in the same boat with one of my mandolins (the most valuable one I've ever owned). Never actually played it; bought it long-distance and had it sent straight to a certain well-known dealer for repair and consignment. Been there ever since.

Jim Garber
Dec-02-2011, 9:05am
I guess I am a little confused with both these examples. You get a mandolin but immediately send it to be sold and have not seen it. So, this turns out to be more like commodity trading? Please elucidate.

I sometimes feel that we are only renting these instruments anyway and that we enjoy them for the time they are in our presences. To not even enjoy them at all seems odd to me -- but maybe I just am not understanding the actual situations.

Malcolm G.
Dec-02-2011, 9:14am
I'm afraid I'm as lost as Jim is.

JEStanek
Dec-02-2011, 9:22am
It ain't Sophie's Choice is it?

Jamie, equally cornfused.

Tom C
Dec-02-2011, 9:26am
Don't we all have mandolins we haven't seen?

strings777
Dec-02-2011, 9:30am
I only get cornfused when I break out the Jack Daniels and have a wee bit too much (or not enough...there's nothing worse than hobbling around on one leg), LOL! :))

billkilpatrick
Dec-02-2011, 9:32am
mandolirius had mandolin (a) on consignment for sale and was offered mandolin (b) in lieu of payment. he-or-she (womandolirius?) is now in a quandry as to whether he/she should retain mandolin (b) for him/herself or continue to offer it up for sale. returning you now to ringside for our live coverage ...

Jim Garber
Dec-02-2011, 9:43am
Thanks, Bill, I was feeling a bit anxious as well as confused. The tranquilizers helped.

Sounds like OP decided that he/she did not want to decide and chose to keep the mandolin at Gruhn's (is there any other dealer in Nashville?) I understand some of it and look fwd to mandolirius' explanation.

Now, Bill, maybe you can explain Martin's dilemma? My guess is he bought a mandolin, got an amazing deal had the work done and stands to make a tidy profit. Is that so, Martin?

As for the mandolins I haven't seen... they are all somewhere in my instrument closet perhaps behind the Ophicleide and the Bb Shoehorn.

billkilpatrick
Dec-02-2011, 9:46am
sorry - the magic only works once ...

Jim Garber
Dec-02-2011, 9:58am
I know what is confusing to me... OP seems to under some obscure law that says that he can't own more than one mandolin. It can;t actually be a local ordinance since I have know a few folks up in Victoria who have way more than one mandolin. I hope we get some clarification soon... it is very hard to concentrate :)

Mike Bunting
Dec-02-2011, 1:32pm
Read the OP again, it is quite clear.

Denny Gies
Dec-02-2011, 1:49pm
Take two aspirins and call me in the morning.

mandolirius
Dec-02-2011, 4:08pm
I thought is was clear - sent a mandolin to a store to sell on consignment. Someone offered a trade. Store asked if I wanted to do the trade. I did. So now the store has a different mandolin to sell for me. I suspect it's a good one and I'm tempted to check it out for myself. But I'm not going to.

Jim Garber
Dec-02-2011, 4:14pm
That part is certainly clear. I think some of us are impressed with your resolve. BTW who was the builder of the mandolin who you got in trade?

Jake Wildwood
Dec-02-2011, 4:19pm
Hah -- welcome to my life. Constant temptation, constant doubt, constant need to sell things before I'm entangled financially because I've been up the last 3 nights in the wee hours sneaking off to the rack in the store and picking away...! Rinse, repeat.

mandolirius
Dec-02-2011, 4:55pm
That part is certainly clear. I think some of us are impressed with your resolve. BTW who was the builder of the mandolin who you got in trade?

Can't say because it's listed in the classifieds. This is not a back door way of drawing attention to the sale.

yankees1
Dec-02-2011, 5:04pm
I thought is was clear - sent a mandolin to a store to sell on consignment. Someone offered a trade. Store asked if I wanted to do the trade. I did. So now the store has a different mandolin to sell for me. I suspect it's a good one and I'm tempted to check it out for myself. But I'm not going to. Now, if you had stated it this way in the original post, perhaps it would have been as clear as it is now!! :) Remember?? :)

Mike Bunting
Dec-02-2011, 5:11pm
From the OP "the store wound up making a trade on my behalf that includes this drool-worthy mandolin."
Why is that not clear?

yankees1
Dec-02-2011, 5:36pm
From the OP "the store wound up making a trade on my behalf that includes this drool-worthy mandolin."
Why is that not clear? #3 and #4 were confused! I wasn't, just had to do a little kidding ( for fun) ! Mandolirius will know what I mean! Life's too short to be too serious all the time! :)

Mike Bunting
Dec-02-2011, 6:04pm
#3 and #4 were confused! I wasn't, just had to do a little kidding ( for fun) ! Mandolirius will know what I mean! Life's too short to be too serious all the time! :)
I thought after I posted that perhaps you were teasing about a post that M'lirius made in another thread :) I was through Ill. this summer, stayed in a motel in Effingham, my favorite town because of its name. You live near there.

yankees1
Dec-02-2011, 6:08pm
I thought after I posted that perhaps you were teasing about a post that M'lirius made in another thread :) I was through Ill. this summer, stayed in a motel in Effingham, my favorite town because of its name. You live near there. I live about ninety minutes West of Effingham. Ever in this area again and need a place to stay let me know as we have a second recreation house on our farm that you would enjoy ! Great deck to pick on!

mandolirius
Dec-03-2011, 2:24am
Now, if you had stated it this way in the original post, perhaps it would have been as clear as it is now!! :) Remember?? :)

;)

Mandolin Mick
Dec-03-2011, 2:57am
My MAS seems to have ended with the acquisition of my Rattlesnake. I liquidated at least 4 instruments and am down to 2 mandolins, the Kentucky only pulled out to play My Last Days on Earth. I want to stay on the wagon ... ;)

billkilpatrick
Dec-03-2011, 4:07am
me too - whatever residual mas i have is spent on improving my reading (ha-ha) "skills."

Charlieshafer
Dec-03-2011, 12:43pm
Clearly there's a solution to all this nonsense. A mandolin-of-the-month club. 12 guys with great mandolins form a club whereby at the start, they send their mandolin off to another guy on the list. So, everyone has someone else's mandolin for a month. Then rotate at the end of the month. Repeat the process. In 12 months, everyone will have spent some quality time with a great instrument they'd never have the ability to buy on their own.

Jim Garber
Dec-03-2011, 5:19pm
I have had very similar thoughts, tho my idea was that luthiers have a rental plan. People way out of driving distance rent the mandolin for a month for a nominal fee but one that would allow a luthier to pay for the wear and tear. At the end of a period, the instrument could be offered for sale, maybe even have the luthier taking offers. Details to follow? :)

Charlieshafer
Dec-03-2011, 8:07pm
That works, too. I'd do that.

delsbrother
Dec-03-2011, 10:47pm
I'm in the same boat with one of my mandolins (the most valuable one I've ever owned). Never actually played it; bought it long-distance and had it sent straight to a certain well-known dealer for repair and consignment. Been there ever since.

For normal people, this would be just crazy talk. But you have to remember, Martin is also a dealer. So it's just... eccentric. :)

majorbanjo
Dec-04-2011, 8:42am
Please elucidate.

Heck no....my mother told me I'd go blind.....:grin: