PDA

View Full Version : My New Wiens #32 F5 Mandolin

crandolin
Nov-30-2011, 2:14pm
Hello all,

It's been a while since I posted, I kind of felt run off the forum for defending Jamie Wiens, or at least trying to understand his perspective. Regardless, I don't want to reopen that discussion at all, but I wanted to update you that I received my Wiens f5 mandonlin yesterday and damn... it was worth every second of the wait. This is a beautiful instrument, people. No question. Here are a couple of pics Jamie took of me, and of the instrument, when I picked it up:

Glassweb
Nov-30-2011, 2:28pm
Wow, that's really stunning... fantastic work! Congrats to Crandolin and Jamie! I'm sure we'd all love to hear how she sounds...

Miked
Nov-30-2011, 2:35pm
Hello all,

it was worth every second of the wait.

That is a gorgeous instrument! Just curious, what was the total wait from the start of the build?

crandolin
Nov-30-2011, 2:36pm
If I get a chance to record a few licks I'll post an mp3. It's a bit different sounding than some of his other mandolins because of the Bearclaw sitka top, and the red maple back and sides. It has a really bright, focused top-end that's not harsh, backed by a solid but not flabby 'woof' for the chop. It feels very well balanced and responsive, and the notes ring out right to the last fret on the E strings. Stainless-steel frets are beaut. And I love the fern inlay, which is not his standard inlay. He's built this instrument to my style which is less straight-ahead bluegrass and a bit more melodic. I didn't interfere or request anything, just said: "build me what you think will be the best instrument for me" and this is what he came up with. I'm very pleased with the result.

crandolin
Nov-30-2011, 2:43pm
That is a gorgeous instrument! Just curious, what was the total wait from the start of the build?

Mike, I ordered it in 2005. The way I see it is that I wanted something that my grandkids will cherish. I'm 38 now, I had more time but also looking at it like a lifetime investment is well worthwhile. My Wiens will never go down in value, but that's now why I wanted it. I have a workhorse f5 that's passable, this was supposed to be special, so I was willing to wait for something special. It was worth it, as I said.

BTW... I know Jamie has an un-spoken-for mando finished right now. He recently popped in to see Ricky Scaggs in Medicine Hat and let him have a plunk around on it. Ricky said something like "...that's a mighty sharp knife". Not sure what that means in Ricky-speak, but I'm pretty sure it's positive... :)

Skip Kelley
Nov-30-2011, 2:46pm
Congratulations! That is one fine looking mandolin!!

Fretbear
Nov-30-2011, 3:14pm
Gorgeous instrument. I'm proud of our Canadian luthiers, Manzer, Heiden, Weins, Larivee, Nyberg, Baird, and many others. They are world class and constantly honing their skills.

William Smith
Nov-30-2011, 3:48pm
Boy thats a nice lookin horn,,Them are some great mandolins I'd love one,I think hes one of the top builders! and you shouldn't think that you were getting run off for defending Jaimies' work,,I don't know the dicussion you were talkin about but some people are just plain and simple snobby! If ya don't have a Loar ya got nothin and believe me there are mandos out there that look better/built better/sound just as good and in some cases sound better than the holy grail of F-5's,,My thaughts

crandolin
Nov-30-2011, 4:02pm
Boy thats a nice lookin horn,,Them are some great mandolins I'd love one,I think hes one of the top builders! and you shouldn't think that you were getting run off for defending Jaimies' work,,I don't know the dicussion you were talkin about but some people are just plain and simple snobby! If ya don't have a Loar ya got nothin and believe me there are mandos out there that look better/built better/sound just as good and in some cases sound better than the holy grail of F-5's,,My thaughts

Hey Bluegrasser,

Thanks! The pictures don't do it justice, as you all know... holding the thing and pickin' is the only way.

As for the thread, like I said, I don't want to get into it again, but the thread in question may have been locked or deleted, but I'd like to think that given a bit of time everyone's cooled off a bit and let be which be.

Jonathan James
Nov-30-2011, 4:11pm
Beautiful instrument indeed and I'm sure it will only get better and better, tone-wise. That one piece back is spectacular. I'm the proud owner of #27...

crandolin
Nov-30-2011, 4:23pm
Beautiful instrument indeed and I'm sure it will only get better and better, tone-wise. That one piece back is spectacular. I'm the proud owner of #27...

Yeah. I'm glad to be part of the club! We should have annual meetings ;)

The back is fantastic, I like the one-piece back over a book-matched back also, the front has a big bearclaw mark in the Sitka that is quite stunning too. Not as dramatic as the flame maple, but more unique.

Randi Gormley
Nov-30-2011, 5:52pm
IIRC, the old discussion had nothing to do with the quality of his work, which always has been considered outstanding. And that's a breathtaking mandolin. congrats!

Gary Hedrick
Nov-30-2011, 6:12pm
I would agree Randi.....I owned an early one that was indeed very nice.....well constructed and finely detailed and it sound great also.....it's the business end of things that folks should be aware of but as a luthier he can make a great instrument.

usqebach
Nov-30-2011, 6:31pm
Wowsers!

Between the stunning wood, both top and back, and the impeccable fit and finish, your mandolin is truly a beauty that has few peers.

The best way to redeem oneself after a fall from grace is to get back on it and give it your best. I hope this constitutes a big step in the right direction for Jamie.

Congrats!

Jim

MiG-19
Nov-30-2011, 9:22pm
Beautiful instrument, thanks for posting.

mandolirius
Nov-30-2011, 10:00pm
Nice to see some new Weins mandolins coming out. I know he took a lot of heat around here for a while but I think most folks really just wanted to see him get back on the horse. He's clearly a very talented builder and I hope he continues to build for many years to come.

danb
Dec-01-2011, 4:25am
Very nice! Wienzi inside? Don't suppose you could grab us a headstock photo & one of the hang tag :)

grassrootphilosopher
Dec-01-2011, 7:20am
Looks like an interesting mandolin.

Have you had the chance to listen to it back to back to a Wiens mandolin with a "more traditional" wood selection. What I mean is, what does the Sitka spruce do here as compared to Engelman or Red Spruce.

First I found the top a little strange. The bearclaw explains it. For some people bearclaw is just it. I like the one piece back.

Interesting deviation from the Fern pattern. Looks like I´ve seen some ideas of it elsewhere.

About the "unspoken for" mandolin. Have you seen it? What are the appointments there (wood, inlay, Wienzi etc)? What´s the sound (as compared to your mandolin) like.

And definetely put up a soundclip/video here and post more pics (is the back picture a little bit out of focus or is it the impression of the back wood?).

Givson
Dec-01-2011, 8:19am
Six years is a mighty long time to wait for a custom build, although I do know someone who waited that long for his Nugget to be built and delivered. Hope you enjoy your beautiful new mando for many years!

crandolin
Dec-01-2011, 10:50am
Very nice! Wienzi inside? Don't suppose you could grab us a headstock photo & one of the hang tag :)

Dan, yes Wienzi Tone Confuser inside. I'll grab a photo and upload it later today.

SternART
Dec-01-2011, 11:11am
I know Jamie has an un-spoken-for mando finished right now. He recently popped in to see Ricky Scaggs in Medicine Hat and let him have a plunk around on it. Ricky said something like "...that's a mighty sharp knife". Not sure what that means in Ricky-speak, but I'm pretty sure it's positive... :)

I'm no expert on Ricky-speak.......but I suspect he thought it cuts well........a loud clear voice.

I love that first photo of you playing it with "that" look in your eyes. Congrats to both you & Mr. Wiens.....from that look I can tell it was worth the wait!

terzinator
Dec-01-2011, 11:50am
Gorgeous. Love the bearclaw -- I rarely see that on a mando.

crandolin
Dec-01-2011, 1:26pm
Looks like an interesting mandolin.

Have you had the chance to listen to it back to back to a Wiens mandolin with a "more traditional" wood selection. What I mean is, what does the Sitka spruce do here as compared to Engelman or Red Spruce.

First I found the top a little strange. The bearclaw explains it. For some people bearclaw is just it. I like the one piece back.

Interesting deviation from the Fern pattern. Looks like I´ve seen some ideas of it elsewhere.

About the "unspoken for" mandolin. Have you seen it? What are the appointments there (wood, inlay, Wienzi etc)? What´s the sound (as compared to your mandolin) like.

And definetely put up a soundclip/video here and post more pics (is the back picture a little bit out of focus or is it the impression of the back wood?).

Yes, I heard it back to back with the other completed one, and one other just finished that were more traditional. I don't know the specifics of the tops of those, but they were definitely more focused high-end, bright and loud but still with that 'water drop' sound that characterizes a rich-sounding great mandolin. They would be more what your hardcore bluegrasser is looking for in a mando, something to cut through. The difference between mine and those wasn't great, but it was noticeable even when Jamie was A/B-ing them to me over the phone. I like the sound of mine better, but I suspect most people on this forum would prefer the other.

The top is unique, but again, that's what I like, and I suspect that's why Jamie chose that for me. The pictures I posted don't really show a good angle of the 'clawmarks' but I'll see if I have one that does.

The unspoken-for mando... Yes, I've seen and played it, it's more 'standard' as far as wood choice goes and sound as above. Anyone would be proud to own and play this instrument. It's an astonishing mando. I just don't see anyone going to the lenghts that Jamie does to make it like the Loar era insturments. He actually dyes pearwood peghead veneers with india ink because that's how it was done then. I actually met him originally because I am a letterpress printer and he wanted to have the labels inside printed in the same way that the originals would have. Since then we've worked together to replicate little details like pickguard patent stamps and other fun projects. Those details not everyone notices but Jamie is conscious of. That's part of why it was worth the 7 year wait for me... the details are all there.

As for the photo of the back, Jamie took that shot and he's as meticulous of a photographer as he is a builder, so I doubt it's out of focus. I think the compression of the photo upload makes it a little blurry looking...

crandolin
Dec-01-2011, 1:37pm
Dan, yes Wienzi Tone Confuser inside. I'll grab a photo and upload it later today.

Dan, Here are a couple of photos of the headstock, one by Jamie and the other by me (iphone... not high-end). The price is a little reference to the original price of the Master Model. The hang-tags were letterpress-printed by yours truly :)

crandolin
Dec-01-2011, 1:41pm
I'm no expert on Ricky-speak.......but I suspect he thought it cuts well........a loud clear voice.

I love that first photo of you playing it with "that" look in your eyes. Congrats to both you & Mr. Wiens.....from that look I can tell it was worth the wait!

I suspect your right about that. It is a loud, clear voice.

The face was a bit 'put on' but definitely representative of how I was feeling inside. The anticipation makes it that much sweeter.

Hendrik Ahrend
Dec-01-2011, 3:35pm
Congrats to both you and Jamie, beautiful mando! Seems like Jamie even makes the bridges himself these days; looks very Loarish.
Greetings, Henry

crandolin
Dec-01-2011, 6:52pm
Congrats to both you and Jamie, beautiful mando! Seems like Jamie even makes the bridges himself these days; looks very Loarish.
Greetings, Henry

Yes, Jamie started making his own bridges last year sometime. They are also stamped with the replica patent stamp.

Kirk Albrecht
Dec-01-2011, 10:19pm
Wow, that is a great looking mandolin! Whatever his business practices, Jaime seems to be a truly great builder by most all accounts.

Hope that mando will be a true family heirloom for years to come. Enjoy!

And some sound files please!

Cheryl Watson
Dec-01-2011, 10:24pm
Congrats! Gorgeous mandolin, super bearclaw! Any chance of sound sample, You Tube video??? I'm certain that many of us would LOVE to hear to play your new Wiens mandolin.

MandoCowboy
Dec-02-2011, 10:43am
<comment violates forum posting guidelines>

Scotti Adams
Dec-02-2011, 10:58am
<comment violates forum posting guidelines>

That sure didnt take long. Its best to let that dead horse lay.

Ken Waltham
Dec-02-2011, 6:14pm
Well, my opinion is that if Jamie's F5's sound half as good as they look, it must be a marvelous mandolin. The workmanship is stunning.

Andrew B. Carlson
Dec-02-2011, 6:30pm
Wow. I'd love to see more of these around! As fine of craftsmanship as I've ever seen.

Mike Bunting
Dec-02-2011, 6:57pm
Wow. I'd love to see more of these around! As fine of craftsmanship as I've ever seen.

There is one in Edmonton. They do look fine but I'm not sure how you can judge craftsmanship from a picture on the interweb. :)

doc holiday
Dec-02-2011, 7:30pm
There are more than 1 in Edmonton.....1 still has a sunken top...& a very low serial #...

Mike Bunting
Dec-02-2011, 8:03pm
There are more than 1 in Edmonton.....1 still has a sunken top...& a very low serial #...
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that one. I played the one, sure does sound fine.

danb
Dec-03-2011, 8:35am
#34 is pretty sexy too

danb
Dec-03-2011, 8:36am
More..

danb
Dec-03-2011, 8:39am
Last..

mandophil(e)
Dec-03-2011, 12:08pm
Ridiculous, in a good way.

Fretbear
Dec-05-2011, 8:30am
Considering the unearthing of the recent early Fern Loar, this is a really good approach to the replica design. When I see a classic Flowerpot, I want to see "The Gibson" above it. This type of Fern inlay, especially when it is so meticulously executed, creates a kind of new category of "classic", and for me wears the individual builder's name better. I will often find the angle or positioning of the name to be odd, but this is perfect.
It is no longer attempting to be compared to anything else, vintage or otherwise, it is in it's own category.

mandophil(e)
Dec-05-2011, 10:50am
I agree entirely with you Fretbear. I've spent A LOT of time staring at this mandolin, and realize after reading your post that the fern inlay really does look "righter" that a flowerpot would. It seems odd, also, to use the word "replica" in a description of Jamie's work, but I guess technically that is correct. I've studies his work and spoken with him at some length, and he seems to have a level of obsessiveness that translates into amazing mandolins.

grassrootphilosopher
Dec-05-2011, 11:58am
#34 is pretty sexy too

That leaves #33 missing. Any pics etc. since were at it?

George R. Lane
Dec-05-2011, 12:03pm
MY goodness he builds a beautiful instrument. If I had the talent and the money I would jump on that unspoken one.

crandolin
Dec-06-2011, 12:39pm
Hey all, sorry about the radio silence for a few days... busy with work near christmas here. Some good comments here, thanks everyone for keeping it positive. The mando world is definitely better with Jamie in it.

Last I spoke with Jamie, the 'unspokenfor' mando has been spoken for. I haven't confirmed this officially & finally, but it looks like these mandos are going to be 'you snooze you lose' from here on in ;) That's great for a great builder.

As for #33, I'm not sure which one that is. I'm assuming pics or info will be forthcoming at some point, perhaps @danb will have some eventually. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything.

As for #32, I'm playing it every day, and loving it. I still can't believe I get to own an instrument of this caliber. I tried making a recording the other day but the iPhone made it sound thin and gross. I'll have to set up my condenser one night and record some licks.

crandolin
Dec-06-2011, 1:14pm
BTW... I couldn't see where the most appropriate place to post this was, but if someone has a suggestion let me know.

You should post commercial activity in the classifieds per forum guidelines.

crandolin
Dec-06-2011, 1:36pm
oh right... that makes sense. Will do.

Thanks.

mandophil(e)
Dec-13-2011, 1:24am
I've had the great pleasure of spending a couple of days with #34. I'll start at the top: When I opened the case, the vintage vibe was very strong. I've handled a few 20's F-5's, and this thing really says I'm 90 years old. Jamie's varnish finish and coloration are astonishing, by far the best I've seen on a new mandolin. The workmanship is absolutely first rate, the fern inlay is amazing and this is one mandolin that is almost impossible to look away from.

According to Jamie, this mandolin was strung up 30 odd days ago, and spent 5 long, cold days on planes, trains, automobiles and in Customs before I got it. Despite all that, it has tone. Great clarity, perfect intonation, sparkly highs, wonderful complexity and that mysterious quality that says there's a LOT more in there waiting to get coaxed out. It shows me a little something new every time I pick it up.

All in all quite a mandolin. Looks, feels and sounds very much like a '20's F-5. Ridiculously good considering how new it is, and very, very seductive. VERY hard to put down. An amazing mandolin.

grassrootphilosopher
Dec-13-2011, 6:23am
mandophil(e)

Re: My New Wiens #32 F5 Mandolin
I've had the great pleasure of spending a couple of days with #34. I'll start at the top: When I opened the case, the vintage vibe was very strong. I've handled a few 20's F-5's, and this thing really says I'm 90 years old. Jamie's varnish finish and coloration are astonishing, by far the best I've seen on a new mandolin. The workmanship is absolutely first rate, the fern inlay is amazing and this is one mandolin that is almost impossible to look away from.

According to Jamie, this mandolin was strung up 30 odd days ago, and spent 5 long, cold days on planes, trains, automobiles and in Customs before I got it. Despite all that, it has tone. Great clarity, perfect intonation, sparkly highs, wonderful complexity and that mysterious quality that says there's a LOT more in there waiting to get coaxed out. It shows me a little something new every time I pick it up.

All in all quite a mandolin. Looks, feels and sounds very much like a '20's F-5. Ridiculously good considering how new it is, and very, very seductive. VERY hard to put down. An amazing mandolin.

Well, soundclips/videos is what I´d like to request.

Pete Martin
Dec-15-2011, 1:12pm
Thanks to mandophil(e), I was able to spend a few minutes with #34 yesterday. It is a GREAT instrument, as good as any new F5 I've had in my hands. Jamie has certainly got to be considered one of the best anywhere...

Roger Wheeler
Dec-17-2011, 12:27pm
Man that's a very nice mando. Congrats!!!

sgarrity
Dec-17-2011, 12:36pm
I got to play Tom Rozum's a few months back and it was an exceptional mandolin.

mandophil(e)
Dec-26-2011, 12:58pm
I see #12 just hit the classifieds.

Pete Counter
Dec-26-2011, 5:24pm
I would be very glad to try out someone's Wiens if they would like! Feel free to contact me about this!

mandophil(e)
Dec-28-2011, 12:26pm
It looks like the Wiens #12 sold in a flash! Congratulations to the new owner. Based on the sound clip on Jamie's site: http://www.wiensmandolins.com/music/Redwing_Wiens_12.mp3 it sounds like he/she is going to be VERY happy.

mandophil(e)
Jan-14-2012, 11:34pm
I was incredibly fortunate to have the chance to sit with Andy Statman for a lesson while he was here in the Seattle area. What an amazing human being, and what an artist. To sit across from him while he played was something I'll never forget. He spent some time with #34, and, needless to say, made it sing.