PDA

View Full Version : Picture worth a thousand words

Scott Tichenor
Nov-29-2011, 11:35am
I'll let this gem of a photo that made my flight this morning such a joy to speak for itself. Thank you, Sky Mall Magazine, for the most effective ad placement I've seen in awhile.

chriss
Nov-29-2011, 11:57am
banjo - $199
SkyMall - priceless!

gotta love em - thx for posting

ColdBeerGoCubs
Nov-29-2011, 12:01pm
A hundred dollar toothbrush might be to big of a leap. Thats a lot of chew. Baby steps.

Bill James
Nov-29-2011, 12:55pm
"Cleans all of your teeth in 30 seconds."

Does that mean the average Banjo player could be done in 1.875 seconds? :))

JEStanek
Nov-29-2011, 1:38pm
Bill James, that's the joke I was gonna make!

Jamie

allenhopkins
Nov-29-2011, 3:12pm
So one banjo = two toothbrushes, apparently.

strings777
Nov-29-2011, 3:22pm
"Cleans all of your teeth in 30 seconds."

Does that mean the average Banjo player could be done in 1.875 seconds? :))

...now that's funny! :))

SternART
Nov-29-2011, 3:41pm
Yep!

greg_tsam
Nov-29-2011, 3:46pm
Well the average banjo player only has a few teeth anyway. :grin:

John Rosett
Nov-29-2011, 3:52pm
Well, if it was next to a guitar, it'd be called a teeth brush.

journeybear
Nov-29-2011, 7:11pm
I'll give the wizards at Hammacher Schlemmer this much - the package includes an instructional DVD from Pete Wernick. Good choice. It also includes a pitch pipe, which I hope is clearly labelled so a customer doesn't think it's a harmonica.

BTW, I wonder how often the sets of airplane passengers and potential banjo customers intersect ... :whistling:

John McCoy
Nov-29-2011, 8:04pm
Buy both and use the one on the right as an automatic tremolo machine

jim simpson
Nov-29-2011, 9:12pm
I'll give the wizards at Hammacher Schlemmer this much - the package includes an instructional DVD from Pete Wernick. Good choice. It also includes a pitch pipe, which I hope is clearly labelled so a customer doesn't think it's a harmonica.

BTW, I wonder how often the sets of airplane passengers and potential banjo customers intersect ... :whistling:

So in this thread Pete Wernick is mentioned from ad and airline travel, then read the following:

Pete Wernick – Prominent banjo player with the Hot Rize bluegrass band and instructor, he was on his way to a festival in the Albany, New York area. Wernick walked away from the crash with his young son, and along with his wife, they took a later flight to go to the festival. He gave his personal account of the day's events in the song "A Day in '89 (You Never Know)". Wernick has yet to release a recording of the song, but has published the lyrics on his website.[26]

link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_232

journeybear
Nov-29-2011, 10:08pm
Gee whiz! I thought this was supposed to be one of those light-hearted fun threads. Kind of taking an unscheduled change in the flight plan. I never heard about this before, and I must say, I am glad Pete survived. I am sorry so many people died, but it would have been just that much worse had he not. The lyrics are a compelling rendering of his thoughts about what must have been a harrowing experience. I can understand him not recording it - he must be reluctant to revisit that experience, repeatedly - and I assume he wanted to write it down to get it out of his system.

It was United, too. Breaking guitars is one thing, this was quite another. I am glad I don't fly often.

Dobe
Nov-29-2011, 10:32pm
[QUOTE=jim simpson;991565]
Wernick walked away from the crash with his young son, and along with his wife

Maybe urban legend, but I recall hearing a bit more to that story; An elderly couple supposedly asked Pete or Joan if they could trade a seat so as to sit together; neither one survived. Fate ?

Atticrat78
Nov-30-2011, 11:48am
The best pickup to put on a banjo is a F150.