PDA

View Full Version : New Nugget F5

Jim Roberts
Nov-28-2011, 11:38pm
Had a chance to play this Nugget F5 the other day. My goodness is it ever an incredible instrument.

dcoventry
Nov-28-2011, 11:51pm
Whew. I'm all flushed and panting. That really is playable art. Like a fine nude with opulent and curving lines beckoning to be touched and caressed and...........I have to go now.

F-2 Dave
Nov-29-2011, 12:14am
Just beautiful. Love the unbound headstock. That inlay is stunning. The wood is gorgeous. A lot of thought must have gone into that project. My hat's off to you Nugget Guys.

Glassweb
Nov-29-2011, 12:18am
Well sports fans, this mandolin does nothing for me. The headstock looks cheap and the scooped, bare fingerboard extension looks... WHY DO IT?!?! It's UGLY!

Mike K has created some of the most beautiful modern F5s out there, but this ain't one of 'em.

Rob Fowler
Nov-29-2011, 12:49am
Wow! I think it looks like a spectacular instrument.....even with the black tongue of death that Glassweb so despises. More understated than some of other recent Nuggets I've seen around here and other places. Glass, I'm glad you don't ever follow the flock and aren't afraid to express your opinion. Don't change for nobody. :)

samwell
Nov-29-2011, 12:52am
I politely disagree senior Glassweb.

BOOM, said it! just had to get that off my chest:redface:

Jim Roberts
Nov-29-2011, 1:06am
It was not a "deluxe" model (visually, that is) and the headstock inlay was actually quite strikingly beautiful and very, very colorful in person. The pics herein do not reflect the visual beauty of the instrument. This mandolin could have been painted day-glow yellow and I wouldn't have cared (well, maybe a little!) as the mandolin sounded so wonderful. The owner is going to have faux frets installed in the scooped fingerboard.

Fretbear
Nov-29-2011, 2:43am
I actually prefer an unbound peghead to offset a complex inlay like this; like the black nut as well.
To me it's a perfect blend of ornateness and understatement. Pretty axe.

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-29-2011, 3:17am
It is plainer than some Nuggets i've seen pics.of,but it has it's own subdued 'dark' beauty - I love it !. If it sounds as good as Nuggets are reputed to sound,then somebody's going to have a wonderful instrument - i sincerely wish it were me (letter - Dear Mr.William Gates,..........",;)
Ivan~:>

AlanN
Nov-29-2011, 6:56am
Lovely 18-fretter.

Interesting tailpiece.

Malcolm G.
Nov-29-2011, 7:16am
Understated beauty and class.
Let the wood glow.
Even to the ebony(?) nut and tuner buttons.
This is now one of my dream designs.

Jim, Do you remember roughly how much it was going for?

Chris Biorkman
Nov-29-2011, 7:54am
Have to agree with Glassweb. Not a fan of unbound headstocks, especially on a mandolin that is $20,000 plus. It looks unfinished to me.

fatt-dad
Nov-29-2011, 8:02am
looks like a lot of top deflection under the bridge (photo 1). I kind of like the overall look though.

f-d

mandobassman
Nov-29-2011, 8:08am
Whew. I'm all flushed and panting. That really is playable art. Like a fine nude with opulent and curving lines beckoning to be touched and caressed and...........I have to go now.

You are talking about a painting..........right? Anyway, I think that has to be the most beautiful Nugget I have ever seen. I love the unbound headstock. Works beautifully with the black tuner buttons and black nut. I'm not too crazy about the scooped "tongue", but I do like it better than the Florida extension. I don't even like pickguards, but that one is really nice. The coloring on the top is incredible and is beautiful with the black binding. This is a work of art. LOVE IT!!!

Bradley
Nov-29-2011, 8:11am
Its pretty but not for me....It so looks like a Collings that I would go with a Collings at 1/3rd the cost

AlanN
Nov-29-2011, 8:12am
Not a fan of unbound headstocks, especially on a mandolin that is $20,000 plus. It looks unfinished to me.

Then you likely won't be ordering one like this from Mike. Presumably, this is what the customer wanted.

This is one of the benefits of working with a builder who will build to suit. When I ordered a Gilchrist from the builder, I speced out my wishes. He did what I asked. AFAIK, Gibson won't do this: I'd like a fern inlay (but no binding) on the headstock. Correct me if wrong.

mtucker
Nov-29-2011, 8:23am
Take a closer peek ... the peg is bound...side-bound, like the rest of the beast.

Mike Black
Nov-29-2011, 8:36am
Take a closer peek ... the peg is bound...side-bound, like the rest of the beast.

Good eye! You're right it is a bound headstock.

G. Fisher
Nov-29-2011, 9:11am
Then you likely won't be ordering one like this from Mike. Presumably, this is what the customer wanted.

This is one of the benefits of working with a builder who will build to suit. When I ordered a Gilchrist from the builder, I speced out my wishes. He did what I asked. AFAIK, Gibson won't do this: I'd like a fern inlay (but no binding) on the headstock. Correct me if wrong.

Alan, The Mandolin Store has had several custom and exclusive mandolins from Gibson. I'm not sure if that option is only for dealers. Maybe you could get a custom mandolin from Gibson to the specs you'd like then.

Dan Margolis
Nov-29-2011, 9:19am
I'd own it! (But I won't).

AlanN
Nov-29-2011, 9:57am
Perhaps, Greg. I've never ordered a mandolin from Gibson, so I don't know.

Jim Roberts
Nov-29-2011, 10:02am
looks like a lot of top deflection under the bridge (photo 1). I kind of like the overall look though.

f-d

f-d,

There was no top deflection under the bridge...kind of an optical illusion caused by the shadow of the strings in the first photgraph.

Gary Hedrick
Nov-29-2011, 10:14am
Nice looking mandolin.......different take on the details but still it is striking......(it strikes some as beautiful and others as a less than perfect look)........

DougC
Nov-29-2011, 12:59pm
The best 'color schemes' on mandolins, to me at least, seem to have the same brightness in the middle of the sunburst as the middle of the back and highlights on the sides. If the photos were in black and white, you'd see that this is the case on this mandolin. The gradient of dark on the edges also blends the sides to the top, nice. Also the dark 'sunburst' around the edges, front and back, is narrow and subtle.

What kind of tailpiece is that?

I wish all of these beautiful mandolins had sound clips...

mandotool
Nov-29-2011, 1:25pm
tis curious that the saddle is jacked up so high as well...
as to the look of the thing...well...lets just say I wouldnt kick it out of bed..
how about a sound clip?

f-d,

There was no top deflection under the bridge...kind of an optical illusion caused by the shadow of the strings in the first photgraph.

George R. Lane
Nov-29-2011, 1:43pm
Is this his version of a Gibson F5G?

AlanN
Nov-29-2011, 1:51pm
Funny. To me, it looks nothing like an F-5G (other than it's an F style mandolin with f holes.)

Paul Kotapish
Nov-29-2011, 2:06pm
Very handsome, indeed, and I think the dark binding and simple appointments enhance the basic form of the instrument without overdoing it--like a violin-family instrument. Obviously not to everyone's taste, but I prefer it to the traditional Gibson F-5 look.

clem
Nov-29-2011, 2:43pm
Remarkably beautiful. And, that could be my favorite tailpiece ever.

Joe Parker
Nov-29-2011, 5:28pm
Is the peghead bound or does the headstock veneer have two layers? It seems that if it were bound you would still be able to see the binding from that full frontal pic. I see only a different color stripe under the veneer from the side. I've been wrong before...

onassis
Nov-29-2011, 5:40pm
I'm really diggin' that TP. The most straight-on, no nonsense approach I've seen.

pjlama
Nov-29-2011, 6:10pm
I gotta go with Web on this one folks, sorry. I'm sure my opinion has no bearing but there it is.

Charley wild
Nov-29-2011, 6:41pm
Another nay vote here. It looks like a dolled up F9......or something.

Dobe
Nov-29-2011, 11:06pm
Good eye! You're right it is a bound headstock.

I'd bet on unbound, with a veneer under the headplate. Didn't much like the unbound hdstk at first but it kinda fits the colors. Not too shabby !

Jim Hilburn
Nov-30-2011, 8:48am
I think Jim is trying to point out what it's like to actually see and hold this. It's like with any instrument Mike makes, you really need to experience it in person to get it.
Mike has always been the greatest influence to me of what a mandolin maker should be and I've been playing catch up as long as I've been building, knowing that's an impossible task.

Mandobar
Nov-30-2011, 8:51am
Play it before you pass judgement. It's really all about that experience opposed to what it look like.

Jim Roberts
Nov-30-2011, 10:29am
I think Jim is trying to point out what it's like to actually see and hold this. It's like with any instrument Mike makes, you really need to experience it in person to get it.
Mike has always been the greatest influence to me of what a mandolin maker should be and I've been playing catch up as long as I've been building, knowing that's an impossible task.

Play it before you pass judgement. It's really all about that experience opposed to what it look like.

Right on, Jim and Mary.

To me, and most musicians, it's all about the tone (yet I do love the looks of this mandolin, too). This instrument is off the charts with low end, mid-range, high end, harmonics that last forever, crystal clear tone separation, strong chop up and down the neck, etc. It will not not let you down anywhere you play on the neck. Play it softly or dig in to it and it will not disappoint. Play it for a coupla hours and while putting it back in its case it's a "wow" moment. I have in the past, and currently do, own some nice mandolins (and bicycles...gotta have priorities in life!) and this F5 is among the best I have ever played and it is still new.

Also, as a side note, I have spoken with Mike on numerous occasions and you will not meet a more interesting, sincere, happy and engaging guy on our planet. He has dedicated his life (mentally and physically) to building extraordinary mandolins and, in my opinion, has succeeded beyond words...only notes can describe it.

Cheers!

Jim Hilburn
Nov-30-2011, 11:01am
And Jim's played a LOT of mandolins.

pjlama
Nov-30-2011, 11:25am
I'm sure it sounds and plays great. The aesthetic choices are just not ones I would make. I'm sure who ever this was built for made those choices and is going to be very happy. The nice thing about this thread is that nobody is disputing that Mike makes one of the very best out there so since the level of respect is so high we can comment on the looks without calling into question the quality of the mandolin itself and it's gives us the freedom for a small critique. There's mandolins from every builder I like that are not to my taste visually so it's ok, I don't have to like them all just the ones I own. I just prefer light binding on burst finishes and full binding plus a more complete fingerboard extension.

Scotti Adams
Nov-30-2011, 11:26am
It is what it is. They dont pop up very often and the truth of the matter is that most of you would give your left_____ to have a Nugget. Personally its not what I like to see in a mandolin. I like the peghead/neck bound etc. but ..hey...If its what the owner wanted the Im very happy for him. I kinda feel sorry for the owner. He put this mando on here for all to see probably expecting great things. Some have been brutally honest..thats okay and on the other hand some have said nice things. I know how I would feel if this was my mando that I was very happy with...spent alot of money on and waited awhile for. Everybody likes to be stroked...its just how were stroked that matters sometimes. Its a Nugget....a very nice mandolin.

AlanN
Nov-30-2011, 11:31am
Just waiting for this thread to delve into the barn behaviors of livestock:))

Scotti Adams
Nov-30-2011, 11:34am
Moo...Baa..oink

Jim Garber
Nov-30-2011, 11:54am
Obviously... it does not appeal to the Loar-o-philes. That is all right, tho the way some of you are reacting, you would think it was in the same class as those rhinstoned mandolins discussed in other current threads. :)

I actually sent the photos to a potential builder I am considering who makes a lovely golden finish. I am thinking of having a subtle shading on the edges and Mike nailed it.

pjlama
Nov-30-2011, 11:56am
I find it refreshing that folks are being honest. I could put up pics of my mandolins and am sure not everybody would be in love and that's fine. We could do with a little more honesty on the Cafe and a little less stroking.

blacktop
Nov-30-2011, 12:29pm
great posts by jim and jim. i like how a pic can generate all these reactions.

Mike Black
Nov-30-2011, 12:29pm
Is the peghead bound or does the headstock veneer have two layers? It seems that if it were bound you would still be able to see the binding from that full frontal pic. I see only a different color stripe under the veneer from the side. I've been wrong before...

You CAN see the binding on the front lower left of the headstock.