PDA

View Full Version : Which Blue Chip?

RobP
Nov-28-2011, 7:01pm
Hey Gang,

I was thinking of asking for a blue chip pick for christmas. I currently use a Pro Plec. What BC would anyone recommend that has switched from Pro Plec? How about the CT55? I am also confused about "speed bevel" vs rounded. What difference does it make?

Thanks

Rob

mandobassman
Nov-28-2011, 8:53pm
I have a TAD 60 with a rounded edge (no bevel). If you are used to the Pro Plec, that BC is most-likely the one that is closest to the Pro Plec feel. The bevel adds a different tone (much brighter). I know because I ordered both to compare. The TAD 60 without the bevel has a very smooth feel against the strings. Now that only refers to the feel being similar to the Pro Plec. The sound is a different story. The BC material is brighter than the Pro Plec material. If you are interested in a similar "sound" to the Pro Plec then you might want to try the XR 60. It has a more rounded lead picking edge and produces a warmer tone. Both are terrific picks and have a great feel in the hand.
The CT 55 is slightly thinner than the Pro Plec and has a stronger bevel than the standard TAD bevel I would think it would be much brighter than the Pro Plec..

Mike Bunting
Nov-28-2011, 10:02pm
Or try a TAD 60 with one point rounded off. I forget what they call it. TAD R maybe.

Fstpicker
Nov-28-2011, 10:45pm
Or try a TAD 60 with one point rounded off. I forget what they call it. TAD R maybe.

TAD60-1R

Jeff

mandobassman
Nov-28-2011, 11:07pm

Yes, but it still has the bevel, which will give a brighter sound than the OP is used to with the Pro Plec.

Mike Bunting
Nov-28-2011, 11:12pm
I got mine when they first came out and I removed the bevel all round and rounded off one corner.I think you can order them now w/o the bevel.

greg_tsam
Nov-29-2011, 10:39am
I have the CT-55 and think it's great. It replaced my tried and true Wegen's which I thought were real good but this was just plain better. Haven't tried the proplec though. Sorry.

Perry
Nov-29-2011, 11:00am
I have CT-55's, Tad 1R'S (50) and a TPR-60. I agree that the rounded edge is a little darker/warmer then the bevels. A Blue Chip is brighter then a ProPlec; considerably so. It is also more durable, a little louder and has that great non-slip in the hand feel. That said I've been picking Fender Extra Heavy's, one of the shoulders. At around $20 bucks for 144 of them I just break out a brand new fresh one and don't worry about durability. (or loss)

But most importantly I think there is no answer what "pick works best". I happen to like the sound and feel of a Fender Extra Heavy on my Kimble A5. Next month I may be back to ProPlecs or Blue Chips.

For a cheap experiment check out the Fender Extra Heavy to see if you like the tone which is close to a Blue Chip and brighter then a ProPlec.

Again....a Blue Chip is going to be much brighter then a ProPlec.

Fender XH seems to be more durable then a ProPlec. I believe Fenders are celluloid while ProPlecs are made from a different type of plastic. Blue Chips are very durable but I have witnessed worn ones and was surprised.

RobP
Nov-29-2011, 4:39pm
[QUOTE=Perry;991348]
For a cheap experiment check out the Fender Extra Heavy to see if you like the tone which is close to a Blue Chip and brighter then a ProPlec.

Again....a Blue Chip is going to be much brighter then a ProPlec.

Interesting.... I moved from a Fender Extra Heavy to the ProPlec because the ProPlec was less bright... I wonder if I should just stick with the ProPlec at $1 each :)

Cheers,

Rob

Malcolm G.
Nov-29-2011, 5:11pm
I have all of the above, and switch around according to my mood, and what mando/string set-up I'm playing.
I agree that a BC TAD60 with no speed bevel, will feel very similar to your (and my) beloved ProPlec (as will DAWG's and Golden Gates and Red Bears).
Once you have a collection (Pick Acquisition Syndrome or PAS), drop each on a hard wood surface like your dining room table. You'll actually hear brightness vs "darkness" in the material. You won't hear the bevel, but you will hear thickness differences.
Oh, and don't forget bone picks, big and thick and black.

Have fun - whole 'nother side to this mando mania!

mandobassman
Nov-29-2011, 9:50pm
Interesting.... I moved from a Fender Extra Heavy to the ProPlec because the ProPlec was less bright... I wonder if I should just stick with the ProPlec at $1 each :)

I did the same thing at one time. I had used Fender Extra Heavy #346 picks for years. I was looking for a warmer tone and tried the Pro Plec. It had all of the warmth I needed but when I actually played live I couldn't get any volume, and I have a fairly loud mandolin. I tried the Blue Chip TAD60, originally with the standard bevel. I found it to be too bright. I then tried the Blue Chip XR60. Loved the tone, but again, lost a little volume. Eventually got the TAD60 again, this time without the bevel and found it had a nice balance between soft and no volume and loud and bright. This pick is right in the middle. Has good volume but is not too bright. It is most definitely brighter than the Pro Plec. The Pro Plec is the warmest sounding pick I have ever used. Of course, part of what plays into the equation is the strings. I use flatwound strings that have a warmer tone than bronze roundwound. So the Blue Chip won't sound as bright on those strings. Just the other day I received a custom order Wegen TF180 without a bevel. I actually like it even better than the Blue Chip. It just confirms my feelings about bevels on a pick. Every pick I have ever used with a bevel is too bright for me. The same pick without a bevel sounds much better to my ears.
If you are used to the Fender and Pro Plec, I feel certain you will find the beveled edge too bright. I still think the Blue Chip XR60 will be the closest to the Pro Plec in tone.

mtucker
Nov-29-2011, 10:47pm
Pro Plec ...hands down!

Miked
Nov-29-2011, 10:56pm
If you think the CT55 might do it for you, just order it and give it a try. If you don't like it, send it back to Matthew and exchange it for something else.

LarryMando
Nov-30-2011, 2:32pm
is there a Blue Chip that reduces the amount of wrong notes played?
or one that I can gain speed?

Glassweb
Nov-30-2011, 2:38pm
I have been using the CT 55 with a "normal" bevel (non-speed) for almost two years now. For me it's the perfect pick. Not as stiff and dark as a 60 but more warmth and less noise than a 50... it's pickfection! I still probably like the tone of the Proplec big triangle a bit more than the BC... but the Proplec is a bit too stiff, wears too quickly and slips out of my fingers all too easily. Try the CT 55 with the normal bevel. If you don't dig it sell it to me.