PDA

View Full Version : Can you ID either Instrument?

Kenny O'Quinn
Nov-28-2011, 6:05pm
This is a picture of my Grandfather (Guitar) Edison Wright and his 1st (Resonator Mandolin) Cousin Phebel Wright taken in 1937. Can anybody ID either instrument. Also if you will do a little digging you will find that Phebel went on to record some great mandolin tunes including "Lint Head Stomp." Thanks for your help.

mrmando
Nov-28-2011, 6:07pm
It's a Dobro or Regal mandolin for sure. I know practically nothing about guitars, but I'm curious about the decorations on this one. Department store brands in the '30s, such as Recording King, sometimes had ornate decorations painted on the top.

Kenny O'Quinn
Nov-28-2011, 6:18pm
Thanks for the info mrmando...I will dig a little deeper.

Paul Busman
Nov-28-2011, 7:44pm
'way cool picture!

MandoSquirrel
Nov-28-2011, 8:19pm
'way cool picture!

Indeed, especially for those of us familiar with Phebel!

Kenny O'Quinn
Nov-28-2011, 8:37pm
Yes Phebel was an awesome mandolin player. It is a shame that he doesn't get more recognition. I am in the process of digitizing his last recording that was made in 1986. My Grandfather - in - law, Blake Stiltner played bass on it with him. There are some cool tunes on there. Maybe I can post some on here somewhere.

Diamondback_Jack
Nov-28-2011, 8:48pm
The mandolin is a Dobro, and the guitar looks like one of the old Stellas or similar. I'm not sure on the guitar but I'm sure the mandolin is a Dobro.

Thanks for sharing!