PDA

View Full Version : Highland strings mandolin

T W Perez
Nov-22-2011, 3:47pm
Recently accuired an A model mandolin built by Jason Harshbarger.This is a traditional styled A an I am blown away by the quality of work,and playability but mostly the sound.This is one of the top three mandolins i've played.Like so much have an F ordered.Would love to hear from others who know this builder,Will post pics in couple days.This is the loudest and most musical mandolin I have heard.Super-light,you can hear the air movin!!

Ed Goist
Nov-22-2011, 3:58pm
Hi TW;

I am in complete agreement with you regarding Jason's mandolins. I am the very happy owner of Highland Strings #047, an Orpheus 2-Point mandolin. You can see pics of it in my signature, and also in this thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?38141-Highland-strings).

The responsiveness, power, tonal purity, and 'punch' of The Raven are incredible. I am a little more impressed by her every time I play her. You use the phrase "most musical mandolin I have heard", and I would have to agree. My 2-Point reminds me very much of a very high quality concert string instrument.

Also, I believe I played the A-style you now own when I visited Jason's shop to pick-up my mandolin last June. Is this it?

If so, Congratulations! That's a beautiful and great sounding mandolin.

Oh, and FYI, there is a social group for owners & fans of Highland Strings instruments here on the Cafe (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=192).

copperhead
Nov-23-2011, 12:50am
Congratulations on your Highland Strings mandolin! I have one of his Copperhead models and I love it! It has a very rich, woody, bell-like sound to it. He did a great job on the finish on mine as well. I sure would like to see more people playing his mandolins, they are very high quality.

T W Perez
Nov-28-2011, 9:09pm
Ed yes that is it,am trying to get the lighting right,regardless will post pics soon.

adizz
Nov-29-2011, 10:46am
its nice to see Jasons name on here more and more. I think he's one of those great secrets of luthiery. His price to quality ratio is unreal. I've not played a mandolin of his that wouldn't hold its own in just about any situation and they're voiced in such a way that they can be used for just about any style, and they just seem to get better and better. I hope more people give them a shot.

Ed Goist
Feb-08-2014, 10:27am
Highland Strings Sighting! Mandolin Blues Master Rich DelGrosso playing a Highland Strings A-style.

Ed Goist
Sep-20-2014, 2:12pm
Looks like Jason recently completed #064...Absolutely Gorgeous.

I particularly love the headstock style and vibe, the original tailpiece design, and Jason's typically outstanding burst stain. Nice!

If you're out there - Congratulations to whoever is the new owner of this beauty!

124037 124038

124039 124040