PDA

View Full Version : Octave stringing

DavidS
Nov-30-2004, 2:48pm
Hello. I've been tuning my octave mandolin with the Gs and Ds in octaves, and I recently did the same for the A course. I love the full, bright sound for both accompanying and melodies.

I recently noticed that the guy who occasionally plays the bouzouki at my local Irish trad session has his instrument strung with the higher octave first in a given course (i.e., gGdD, lowercase being the higher octave). My two lower courses are strung the other way: GgDd.

Is there a standard way to do this? Pros and cons to one versus the other? Thanks.

David

PS This is my first post, finally. Thanks for all the helpful advice I've picked up trolling around the site anonymously for awhile!

vkioulaphides
Dec-01-2004, 8:27am
Yes, players of various and sundry folk-lutes string their instruments with the high octave first (i.e. first to be struck by the pick on a downstroke). It's a distinctive sound, I guess: the high octave defining the pitch with its bright ring, the lower octave coming in a split second later to "fill in" the sound. On the other hand, Greek bouzoukis are tuned with the low string of the course first.

As Jacob suggests, experiment, see what you like best...