PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Missouri/Big Muddy M2

lcollins
Nov-20-2011, 10:39pm
My band-mate lent me an old mando to practice on, which I've found totally unplayable. However, I was having so much fun with it - I impulsively got the captioned one on ebay tonight. It seems to be in excellent condition; I researched it a bit and having gotten it for half the going price, I'm hoping I made a good score.

It was a leap of faith, but I had a good feeling about it~

So - will I be smilin' or sighin'?

Dave Weiss
Nov-20-2011, 11:39pm
Excellent choice. Simple, fun, great sounding instruments. I don't think you'll be dissappointed.

Steve L
Nov-21-2011, 2:40am
Very nice mando. I've "upgraded" a few times and still play my M2 a lot.

billkilpatrick
Nov-21-2011, 4:01am
you did well. some may say they look "plain jane" but they're elegantly designed, in their simplicity, and beautifully made. they sound fabulous - not best suited for bluegrass (so they say) but great for every other kind of music on the planet.

lcollins
Nov-21-2011, 9:06am
you did well. some may say they look "plain jane" but they're elegantly designed, in their simplicity, and beautifully made. they sound fabulous - not best suited for bluegrass (so they say) but great for every other kind of music on the planet.

We're doing progressive folk/country, but as a beginner, I'm just doing some strumming, no fancy fingerpicking, so I'm thinking the 'bluegrass' limitations shouldn't pose a probelm.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm really excited about receiving it.

Laura

Michael H Geimer
Nov-21-2011, 10:04am
Be sure to give us a good review once it arrives. I'm a big fan of these simple, elegant instruments. I do not think you'll be disappointed.

Chip Booth
Nov-21-2011, 10:13am
I agree, a nice solid flattop is a great instrument to get started on, and something you can always enjoy no matter what level you achieve.

multidon
Nov-21-2011, 2:29pm
Congratulations! For the type of music you are doing you could not have made a better choice. Not for Bluegrass but fantastic for Celtic or folk. I own the same one. Please take note of the fact that we have a Mid Mo/Big Muddy social group on the Cafe'. Check it out and join us!

Malcolm G.
Nov-21-2011, 2:50pm
Welcome, Ms. Collins!

Finger pickin'?

Start with a nice thick flatpick like a Dawg or Golden Gate, and work from there.

You're going to love this.

Dave Weiss
Nov-21-2011, 3:36pm
Nice light picks work well also...

Loretta Callahan
Nov-21-2011, 7:47pm
I love, love, love my Muddy. So much so, I'm upgrading it rather than buy "up" right now. The tone just melts me. I have the M4: Rosewood and Spruce.

My Muddy seems to like regular to lighter strings. I mostly use the Pro Plec (http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/PRO346.htm), sometimes the Wegen TF 140 (http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/WP-TF140-WHT.htm) .... sometimes the Wegen "Big City".

I'm sure you'll figure out what you like best.

lcollins
Nov-21-2011, 9:17pm
Thanks again to all for the validation of my choice (and for making me feel so welcome!)

So tell me - as a few have mentioned - *why* is this not the ideal instrument for bluegrass, as opposed to folk & country. What is the criteria~

Thanks~

Loretta Callahan
Nov-21-2011, 9:26pm
There's some real experts here that can answer this better than I. From my experience, as I have two arched tops and one flat top (my Muddy) ... is that the arched tops project out more. My Arched Top .... F5 ... meaning that it's got the arch top and F holes ... and a scrolly thing ... literally kind of barks, which is great for Bluegrass and chops.

My flat top, round hole, isn't as loud as my other mandolins, but the tone is heavenly. Since I'm now playing what's called ITM, or Irish Trad ... sometimes Celtic ... I don't need a Bluegrass sounding mandolin. I prefer the sound of the Muddy for most of what I play.

8ch(pl)
Nov-22-2011, 9:24am
I play my Mid Missouri with a church band that is Amplified (Bass and a couple of guitars) plus piano, I have no trouble being heard unplugged.

multidon
Nov-22-2011, 10:33am
Bluegrass players prefer F holes because something about the resulting acoustics creates a tone quality more associated with bluegrass. Part of it is increased volume, part of it is a more percussive attack on each note. You will hear the bluegrass players call it "woof" or "bark". It helps the mandolin to be heard over some of the other bluegrass instruments, particularly banjos. Banjos seem to have no trouble playing loud, and can cover up the mandolinist. Sometimes, you will see mandolins listed in the classifieds as "banjo killers". That's what they mean. Most bluegrass players choose F styles with F holes but A styles with F holes are not unheard of. That being said, this is not necessarily the tone you are looking for in other styles of music (although it might be!). Oval or round hole instruments tend to have a mellower, more well rounded tone that many folks like for folk, classical, Celtic, and the like. Flat tops like the Big Muddy have a different tone quality yet again than carved tops. Those are especially associated with Celtic/Irish. But all of the above are not rules by any means. There really are no "rules", only conventions and traditions. But if you go to a bluegrass jam with a Big Muddy you would be likely to be drowned out by the banjos. Of course all of the various types of mandolins are tuned the same and fingered the same so it is easy to switch from one to the other. Now that you are "one of us" beware of MAS (mandolin acquisition syndrome)! Because the obvious answer to the above conundrum for many of us is, why not have one of each? And then of course you actually need TWO of each to have a back up in case one needs repaired.... then there is the inevitable "can't pass it up" bargain you run into... and so it goes!

lcollins
Nov-22-2011, 2:55pm
Now that you are "one of us" beware of MAS (mandolin acquisition syndrome)! Because the obvious answer to the above conundrum for many of us is, why not have one of each? And then of course you actually need TWO of each to have a back up in case one needs repaired.... then there is the inevitable "can't pass it up" bargain you run into... and so it goes!

Thanks for such a great, detailed, explanation - that really clears up a lot for me.

:) I'm no stranger to various acquisition syndromes - as a matter of fact, I was thinking as I was reading your post "Hmmm, sounds like I'll need another mando" and I haven't even received *this* one yet!

Michael H Geimer
Nov-22-2011, 4:09pm
I'm 100% sure a Big Muddy will work well in a Folk & Country setting. I'm also sure it won't work so well in a Bluegrass setting. The difference is volume and projection. The Big Muddy just won't have the volume or projection to compare with fiddles and finger-picked, resonator banjos. If you could somehow counter that imbalance (perhaps mic'd for a gig), it may all work out just fine.

Someone (idunnowho) might say an oval hole still won't have the right tone for BG, but that's a finer matter of taste. I can coax a serviceable "chop" from my M-0 in small folk & country settings, when the songs call for that back-up.

Muddies can play the style, but they might not be able to hang in large, loud settings.

- Mike

Loretta Callahan
Nov-22-2011, 4:29pm
Exactly! Sending the Muddy in for a major face lift; glad I have two mandolins left at home to play.

And then of course you actually need TWO of each to have a back up in case one needs repaired....

8ch(pl)
Nov-26-2011, 6:49pm
I also have 2, the M-4 is bright sounding and is very suited to the Church band work that I do. I play a lot of Tremola effect to blend in with the other instruments as well as noting and chording, depending on the song. it is less suited to accompanying my voice than is my M-1. This instrument is more mellow sounding.

I find that the M-1 is more susceptible to seasonal wood movement than the M-4. I have also used it in the Church band. I play as well in a Folk group and am using the M-1 when I sing. I have had the M-4 for about 11 years, the M-1 for only 2.