PDA

View Full Version : lm 400 with k and k?

jambalaya
Nov-20-2011, 7:14pm
So I'm considering buying the loar lm 400 and having a k and k twin internal put in it. My question is, does anyone know whether that would effect the acoustic tone and, if so, how much? Also, would this be a good set up for using an effects and loop pedal at volume? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Big Joe
Nov-20-2011, 7:48pm
That is a great setup. We have installed quite a few K&K pickups on mandolins. They have no affect whatsoever to its acoustic sound. It will give you a very good mandolin for many applications. Both the mandolin and pickup are great. We may even have the pickup in stock and we can get the 400 very fast if you don't have one lined up.

jambalaya
Nov-20-2011, 7:49pm
thanks

Mandobart
Nov-20-2011, 8:03pm
Yes I've installed these type pickups on many instruments. Acoustic tone is not affected. You can search this forum for many such discussions, your next question is going to be do I need a preamp? Which one do I need? You'll find lots of info here.

jambalaya
Nov-20-2011, 8:05pm
I've got a boss gt3 multi effect pedal that is very versatile in dialing in tone. I figured i'd use that as a pre amp.

Malcolm G.
Nov-20-2011, 8:27pm
Planning to install my 4th K&K Twin.

Bernie Daniel
Nov-21-2011, 8:03am
That is a great setup. We have installed quite a few K&K pickups on mandolins. They have no affect whatsoever to its acoustic sound. It will give you a very good mandolin for many applications. Both the mandolin and pickup are great. We may even have the pickup in stock and we can get the 400 very fast if you don't have one lined up.

If you were asked to install the K&K twin internal in an f-hole mandolin I suppose the hard part is running the jack through the end pin hole -- just ball park $$ what would would parts and labor be to do this on a "virgin" mandolin?

I wonder how these compare with the McIntyre Acoustic Feather pickup it terms of sound quality? Certainly the McIntyre feather is a more labor intensive installation to glue down the pickup?