PDA

View Full Version : Bluegrass on the radio

Willie Poole
Nov-15-2011, 2:29pm
For the folks in the DC, northern VA, and Md. area....A few years ago WAMU took their bluegrass shows off of regular FM radio and crossed over to "Hi Def" radio which meant a person had to purchase a Hi Def radio in order to listen to them, a week or so ago they built another transmitter tower and now you can pick them up on 105.5 FM in a lot of the places in this area...They are broadcasting with "Flea" power but it does get out pretty far now with the new tower....I did listen to them last night and it faded out a few times but I am about 40-50 miles away so it is a blessing to say the least...Maybe it was just a clear night, not sure if I will get them every day but will keep trying....:):mandosmiley:

Willie

Willie Poole
Nov-15-2011, 11:24pm
I tried the station again today during the daytime and the signal came in loud and clear....HAPPY DAYS...

Willie

CharlieKnuth
Nov-16-2011, 8:49am
Willie, I just discovered this and was going to post it as well. Thanks. Funny thing is that I get a much clearer signal in my car than I do in the house. I really can't listen to 105.5 in the house. I am happy to know that I can once again listen to Stained Glass Bluegrass on Sunday mornings.

zookster
Nov-16-2011, 9:37am
Y'all need to check out "Goin' Across the Mountain" which is broadcast live every saturday on WNCW in North Carolina. 7 --- yes, 7 -- hours of quality bluegrass featuring both new and old. Starts at 11:00am EST. You can access the live stream at www.wncw.org. Western NC is ground zero for bluegrass and old time, so the local listeners are pretty knowledgable. There is also a bluegrass gospel show sun. morning from 6-9am. Playlists are available for both shows on the web site.

albeham
Nov-16-2011, 11:31am
Willie,
thanks.. Going to turn it in!!

AL

swampstomper
Nov-17-2011, 4:18am
Willie, thanks for this, it brings back happy memories of driving into DC to visit my bro. who lives there, trying to pick up 88.5 FM (at the time) WAMU as far out as Gettysburg or Emmitsburg... around Frederick maybe a faint signal would come in... driving down I270 it would get stronger and stronger... until Ray Davis in Drive Time was loud and clear! Leaving town on a Sunday morning listening to the Old Redhead (Shipley) as the signal faded in and out... stopping in Thurmont for breakfast after it faded out completely.

Now living in Europe I have to listen over the internet with a 6hr delay. Spottswood rules!