PDA

View Full Version : waltz?

potatoe
Nov-29-2004, 4:26pm
how do you play a waltz correctly? can i just take a jig, play it twice as slow, and call it a waltz?

Graham McDonald
Nov-30-2004, 4:30am
ONE, two, three, ONE, two, three
at whatever speed waltzes are played in your part of the world
quite different from 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3 but the important thing is to follow the internal rhythm of the tune

cheers

graham

mikeyes
Nov-30-2004, 3:56pm
The best thing to do is to listen to some waltzes and then use that knowledge to play one. In fact, that's good advice for learning any kind of music. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

potatoe
Nov-30-2004, 6:38pm
i can use that waltz rythm to play a pretty simple song, but i cant handle more then 3 notes a measure...

Graham McDonald
Nov-30-2004, 10:21pm
Try singing the tunes to yourself first and get them stuck in your head before trying to transfer them to the mandolin or whatever, practice them at first just playing the note on each of the three beats and them adding in the ones in between. And as Mike says. listen to lots of them and get the feel of the waltz rhythm. Then you can prograss to mazurkas!

cheers

graham

potatoe
Dec-01-2004, 4:37pm
thank you very much for the help all.

mandolooter
Dec-02-2004, 1:11am
I don't know if it will help but htere is a waltz discussion going on at the NorthwestBluegrass group at Yahoo.blah blah They are mostly discussing BPM's and such but your question could spurn some good advice from some fun pickin folks in the great Northwest!