PDA

View Full Version : New acquisition of an old mandolin

microbehunter2
Nov-12-2011, 6:40pm
My mother gave me my grandfathers mandolin today. It is a has a bowl shape and is labeled inside "Columbus". Can anyone provide me information about the maker and possible date of manufacture? It has several cracks in the body and needs cleaned up. Is it worth having it repaired and are these of any value? Thnaks for the help.

MikeEdgerton
Nov-12-2011, 7:35pm
Columbus was a brand name used by Lyon and Healy of Chicago around 1900. The value of one in good condition isn't more than a few hundred dollars. Post some pictures.

microbehunter2
Nov-12-2011, 8:44pm
Thanks Mike. I will post some pictures. I'll have to get an estimate on what it will cost to fic the cracks.

JEStanek
Nov-12-2011, 10:23pm
Put lightweight strings on it (after the structural repairs, please) not regular medium mandolin strings..

Like these (http://www.juststrings.com/ghs-a240.html), for example. Welcome to the Cafe and I hope you can get your grandfather's mandolin fixed up.

Jamie

microbehunter2
Nov-12-2011, 10:30pm
Thanks Jamie, I'll do that.

Art

Rodney Riley
Nov-12-2011, 11:41pm
Yes, with just a small investment now, someday someone else will post here on the Cafe. "My mother gave me my grandfather's mandolin today. It was actually my Great Great Grandfather's" :)