PDA

View Full Version : Hot Tuna

Lee
Nov-29-2004, 11:06am
well folks, Wednesday evening brought us another very fine show this year. Breaking from tradition the first set was acoustic and the second set was electric. Jorma and Jack were again joined by Barry Mitterhoff on both sets. Barry seemed more comfortable blending in and contributing his own licks than last year. The electric set was handled with several instruments. He had what looked like stock 4 and 8 string Epiphone MandoBirds, and a "Stevens" 5-string. I couldn't get much else about the "Stevens" as the roadie seemed to know nothing else about it. If I recall correctly it had a single humbucker. I think each of the three emando's were played thru some flavor of MesaBoogie combo amp; miked. Barry stomped a few boxes but I wouldn't say he used effects. Barry took a few leads on the MandoBirds and received excellent compliments from Jorma for coming from "a bluegrasser". All-in-all I was quite pleased with Barry's use of the emando with electric Hot Tuna. Maybe he'll become a big name and create a huge new fan club of emando players. My big question is were they stock Mandobirds or custom?