PDA

View Full Version : Loar era F-5`s and the A-5

Willie Poole
Nov-10-2011, 8:10pm
Maybe this has been discussed on here before but I don`t recall ever seeing it so here goes....Since Lloyd Loar designed and engineered those models where did he get the knowledge to know how to graduate the tops? Also was there very much difference in the F-5 tops and the F-4`s, I know they have longer necks and have FF holes and tone bars, but I wonder how Loar knew what he was looking for when he first set out to design the F-5 and A-5....Speaking of the A-5, those of you that might have played it, did it sound that much like an F-5? Since there was /is only one made and if it is different how did LL even know where to begin on it? Did he use the same graduations as the F-5 model? These might sound like questions that most of you already know and have discussed but I am sure there are some of us on here that would find this intersesting to read and/or hear about what his objective was in starting the F-5, I know he designed the A-5 for a lady friend...

Thanks for any comments on this....:) :mandosmiley:

fernmando
Nov-10-2011, 9:00pm
The Griffith A-5 sounds as good as any F-5 Loar ever had anything to do with, and is essentially an F-5 sans scroll and points, with the exception of the bridge being placed higher up toward the fingerboard (Darryl Wolfe, F5loar and others could comment on the necessary placement of the bridge in regard to intonation). The Griffith A-5 is the basis for the research of Bob Givens, Tut Taylor, et al. I have spent some time with that A-5, and it is a mando all it's own. It takes a backseat to no mandolin.

Roscoe Morgan

www.roscoemorgan.com

MikeEdgerton
Nov-10-2011, 10:04pm
The Griffith A-5 was ordered by the husband of the woman it was made for, I don't know if Lloyd ever met her. In any case, I seriously doubt they were involved in anything. I've never seen anything to suggest that he even knew her. I could be wrong about that but I think I would have remembered that. I do understand that she didn't want the F-5 because she found the point uncomfortable when she played with the instrument in her lap. I can only assume that the graduations came as part of the whole tap tuning thing and were done in conjunction with one or more of the actual guys that were building the instruments.

sunburst
Nov-10-2011, 10:26pm
The Griffith A-5... is essentially an F-5 sans scroll and points

No, the Griffith A-5 is an adapted standard Gibson A body with f-holes and a long neck. That's why the bridge sits in the strange place. It's a classic example of "using what they had".

fernmando
Nov-10-2011, 10:49pm
Thanks for this important clarification, John :)

Roscoe Morgan

www.roscoemorgan.com

fatt-dad
Nov-10-2011, 11:15pm
If I understand correctly the A5 also has a deeper body depth than an F5.

f-d

MikeEdgerton
Nov-10-2011, 11:52pm
Anyone interested can check out this (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?query=griffith+loar&exactname=0&starteronly=0&forumchoice%5B%5D=&prefixchoice%5B%5D=&childforums=1&titleonly=1&searchdate=0&beforeafter=after&do=process) link to find out more about the Griffith Loar.

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-11-2011, 3:17am
Regarding how Lloyd Loar knew about 'graduating' Mandolin tops etc.,he most likely drew on centuries of Violin making information,as possibly did Orville Gibson initially.When i look at an 'arch-top' mandolin either an "A" or an "F" style,i see a Violin,but 'made differently'.
My Lebeda Mandolin was made by a guy who,because his country at one time was part of the 'Soviet block' of countries, had never laid eyes on a Gibson Mandolin,or was ever likely to. But - the 'Czech Republic' as it is now,had a very long history of Violin making & it was this wealth of knowlege & craftsmanship,that Jiri Lebeda drew upon,when he build his first instrument for himself,based on any photographs of "F" style mandolins that he could get hold of. So,the info. & skills required to build a Gibson 'style' mandolin were already there,they simply needed a 'twist' in another direction. Maybe not 'quite' as simple as that,but i don't think i'm far off & possibly closer to it than a Banjo builder deciding to build awesome Mandolins - will Mr J.Hamlett stand up please !!,:grin:
Ivan;)