PDA

View Full Version : A String Sounding Weird!

yankees1
Nov-10-2011, 5:43pm
I have GHS PF270 stings on my A5 and they are about three weeks old and I play at least an hour each day and usually more. The G,D and A strings sound fine but even though the tuner says the A is in tune it sounds sort of flat. My instructor told me today that his A strings were sounding out of tune even though according to his tuner they were in tune. Should I just change the A strings or better to change all ?

Malcolm G.
Nov-10-2011, 6:28pm
So, the G, and E sound OK?

Does the A sound flat or dull?

I'm not familiar with the PF270's but I'll bet the A strings are plain steel? Is this your first experience with this type of string (first set?)

Does your instructor use the same strings as you?

yankees1
Nov-10-2011, 6:31pm
A course strings sounds dull. First set of this string set and no , my instructor uses different strings.

Dave Weiss
Nov-10-2011, 7:20pm
Try de-tuning and re-tuning, drop and or raise the pitch 1/2 to a whole tone. I've experienced that, the string seems to get slightly bound in the bridge or nut slot. Once it "slips" it should equalize the tension over the length of the whole string. Hope that works for you.

Duff
Nov-11-2011, 8:11am
I've also noticed th A string goes dull (flat sounding but tuner says it's ok) as the strings age before the others.....don't know why :)

Tim2723
Nov-11-2011, 8:55am
There are so many variables that affect strings that I just change mine whenever they start acting up. I gave up trying to figure it out long ago.

yankees1
Nov-11-2011, 10:07am
Just changed my A string and sounds much better!

terzinator
Nov-11-2011, 12:48pm
This thread might be of interest!

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?77061-Tuning-the-A-pair...-more-finicky-than-the-rest