PDA

View Full Version : Andy Statman's "Old Brooklyn"

Marcus CA
Nov-09-2011, 11:07pm
This is a really unusual album, as I expected. The scope and creativity are astounding! This isn't just a rehash of earlier Statman material; "Ocean Parkway After Dark" (with Paul Shaffer on synthesizer) will end that debate.

I can't say that I like all of the 25 tunes, and could easily edit this down to an album of my 12 favorites. However, because this album covers (and fuses) so many genres), I could see people coming up with incredibly diverse lists of their 12 favorite tunes.

For me, the tops of the top are "Ocean Parkway," "Anthem," "Shabbos Nigun," "Mah Yedidus," and "My Hollywood Girls."

Charlieshafer
Nov-10-2011, 6:55am
Title song is one of my favorites. A brilliant album, I think. Easily my favorite mandolin-weighted cd of the past year or so. I like the way the title piece rolls from a sort-of bluegrass feel to a hard-core modern jazz structure. The repeating backdrop for the soloing reminds me much of McCoy Tyner's work with Coltrane.

Scotti Adams
Nov-10-2011, 8:17am
Does this project have a tune called Up In The Morning? Ive heard it a few times the last couple of days on Sonic with no album info. This tune has some very, very good cross picking by Andy. Some of the best I have heard with all do respect to Jesse of course.

homermando
Nov-10-2011, 9:04am
"Up In The Morning" is on an earlier release from the 80's called "Andy's Ramble".

Don Julin
Nov-10-2011, 9:19am
I am enjoying this recording also. Andy may not be your cup of tea, but there is no denying he is a monster player. I like the way he blends many styles and finds a way to fit the mandolin into combinations that you don't hear every day. Mandolin and B-3 organ.....who'd a guessed that would sound so cool.

sgarrity
Nov-10-2011, 10:35am
I absolutely loved East Flatbush Blues. This new recording........a good chunk of it is mighty far out there. Andy is a monster player but I think this effort might have been better titled The Goat Rodeo Sessions! LOL I may just pick my favorites and put in a playlist so I have something listenable out of it all.