PDA

View Full Version : MT back from spa treatment: refret, tuner swap... and speed neck!

terzinator
Nov-09-2011, 11:48am
Just picked my Collings MT up from Jed Germond last night... it badly needed a refret, and thought I'd also have him swap out the (IMO) sub-par Gotohs for Grovers, and also do a speed neck.

Anyway, man, what a difference. Notes are cleaner and intonation is much better with the fresh frets (we did the first 8) -- and the new Grovers are smooth as silk. (Much more accurate, too... 18:1 vs 14:1.)

And I LOVE the speed neck. There was method in my madness; I had some nicks/dents in the neck from doing a string change on one of those Planet Waves tripod things. I wanted to fix those, so we decided to throw caution to the wind and strip off the finish. Jed has done plenty of them before, and really likes the feel, so I trusted him. Glad I did. I love it. Super smooth and feels much better than the finish did.

I know there are naysayers out there who preach that a speed neck ruins the mandolin for anyone else who wants to buy it. But it's mine, so there.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

disguiseglasses
Nov-09-2011, 11:54am
Looking forward to the pictures! Blackfaces are soooooo... attractive.

frshwtrbob
Nov-09-2011, 1:16pm
Chris, What brand and size frets did you wind up replacing the 1st 8 with?

terzinator
Nov-09-2011, 2:27pm
Jed recommended Stew-Mac's standard wire. Frankly, I don't know the details, but I'll check. Size is exactly the same as the stock; can't tell the difference. Whole fretboard looks brand new.

FYI, it was $180 to do 8 frets.

frshwtrbob
Nov-09-2011, 6:26pm
...better lighten up your death grip or you're gonna be spending a lotta money on yearly partial re-frets. I'm sure your luthier, Mr. Germond doesn't mind. Maybe next time you should consider the stainless steel or EVO Gold replacements?

terzinator
Nov-10-2011, 11:12am
yep, those were considered. The EVO is really hard to work with, as I understand it.

NOBODY should require yearly partial refrets; if they do, their technique is whack. (Translated: MY technique is whack.)

I don't want to fix the symptom (eliminating fretwear by using harder frets). I'd rather fix the cause (poor technique).