PDA

View Full Version : Just got a 1917 Gibson A4 !!

JohnFilm
Nov-09-2011, 3:10am
And I am totally in love. I've been playing an old pre-war Stradolin and my much newer Fender FM53 but man ... this A4 kick everybody's ass. The sound that comes out of this thing ... the playability. I'm stoked.

I know this isn't the spot but if anybody comes across an old teens-20's era tailpiece cover ... let me know. It didn't have one and for now I just have one of the Stew-Mac replacements on there just to keep everybody safe.

I'll post pictures tomorrow!

Goodin
Nov-09-2011, 9:15am
Great to hear John! Teens Gibsons are the best mandolins for the money out there. Looking forward to pics.

Pete Martin
Nov-09-2011, 1:02pm
Congrats!! You've become an a hole fan :grin::)):mandosmiley:

Denny Gies
Nov-09-2011, 1:37pm
Best wishes. I used to have a 'teens A 2 and loved the thing. They are some sweet instruments.

Gary Hedrick
Nov-09-2011, 6:23pm
Good for you!! It is my belief that mandolins like this are a better investment, better instrument to play than many of these cheaper imports that get a ton of press on the forum.

I have played a number of the A models and especially the A4's that are just as you have said. Really a blast to play...

Jack Roberts
Nov-10-2011, 11:52pm
Pictures???

Ron McMillan
Nov-11-2011, 12:11am
Yes, come on, hurry up with those pictures! :)

P.D. Kirby
Nov-20-2011, 9:53am
What a tease, John you are not a nice guy...

mandopops
Nov-20-2011, 12:07pm
I've had a 1917 A-4 since about 1980. I got it for around $300 bucks. Not original case,(I brought it home on the subway in a paper bag) finish pretty rough etc.. but I loved it then & now. I do have other Mandolins like the rest or you, but I go back to it often.

Those old Gibson A's are just so versatile. I think they're good for Blues & Classical. Fiddle tunes & Jazz? Mighty fine.They can be punchy or mellow. I know Rector & Statman used them for Bluegrass. I got a 20's Snakehead some years back & I love it too. My A-4 is my 1st love.

Buy a bunch of old A's & play a different one every day of the week.

Barry Canada
Nov-20-2011, 12:38pm
I find my a4 sounds

Barry Canada
Nov-20-2011, 12:40pm
I find my my A4 sounds tubby and too bassy! Any recommendations or is this the general sound of the instrument due to the oval sound hole?

Ken Waltham
Nov-20-2011, 3:59pm
I agree completely with Gary. These are "real mandolins" made by the premier mandolin company, in a time when the mandolin was king.
They are still a great buy, in ready supply, and sound great! You can find tons for sale any day of the week.
They will appreciate, rather than depreciate, have a super vintage look and vibe, and are full of musical history. I know the pac rims do get a lot of press, but, for the life of me, I don't understand why.
Congrats on a great mandolin. If you need a cover, I may be able to help. PM me.
Ken