PDA

View Full Version : Pick Stroke Theory Question

PoniesRGr8
Feb-18-2004, 11:47pm
Hi everyone,

I was just watching Chris Thile's mandolin technique DVD and I need a bit of clarification.

Chris says that in 4/4 time, strokes are down, up, down, up etc. except in the case of quarter notes, which are always downstrokes.

So, my question is, in the case of 6/8 time, where eighth notes are down, up, down, down, up etc., are quarter notes always played with a downstroke as well?

Thanks!

~*Sarah*~

giverin
Feb-19-2004, 7:10am
I dont take any notice of the pick stroke theory when a song is in 6/8. I just let my right hand play whichever way it wants. But i do take notice of the PST when its in 4/4. Works for me.

Tom C
Feb-19-2004, 8:44am
It depends on where the quarter note falls. If it's on the "on-beat", then down
stroke. If it's on the "off-beat", then upstroke.

jeffshuniak
Feb-19-2004, 9:11am
yep, thats a fun one.... most of all, you know you want start you measures with down strokes and this quartnote rule screws you up in triple meters.

this is what I do. I have asked my teacher, he smiled, "thats one of the things you have to work with" #

(there are guys in the classical forum who really know a lot about the details of technique)

if the measure went: # 1/4 note, 1/8 note, 1/4 note, 1/8 note # #(six beats, right?)
# # # # # # # # # # # v# # # # ^ # # # #v # # # ^
and then the next measure starts down again.

obvioulsy a deviation from the rule

if the measure went: # 1/4, 1/4, 1/4 that does give you a problem landing on a down stroke for the next measure. I would upstroke the last one.

1/4 # 1/4 # 1/4
v # # #v # # ^ # # #really it doesnt matter with quarternotes, the point is, up and down for 8 notes, because they are consecutive.

if you were in 2/4 time, it could be 1/8 notes that COULD get the down, down treatment.
and then the 16ths would be mandatory up and down.

jeffshuniak
Feb-19-2004, 9:18am
that came out real unclear.

1/4, 1/4, 1/8, 1/8
v # # v # # v # ^ # # # # #

1/8, #1/4, 1/4, 1/8
v # # #^ # # V # ^

1/4, 1/8, 1/4, 1/8
v # # ^ # #v # #^ #

1/4 #1/8 1/8 #1/4
v # # ^ # #v # ^

1/8 #1/4 1/8 1/4
v # # ^ # #v # ^

I dont know where you are confused so forgive me if I state the obvious or explain too much...
its not that quartnotes are always down, its that it is OK to skip the up, down, strokes while you play quarters

vkioulaphides
Feb-19-2004, 9:29am
The basic suggestion is, of course, perfectly sound. But much more —and much more important— hinges on which string(s) one is playing on: Is all this under the assumption of playing on one string only? Obviously, whatever string-crossings are involved will be of critical significance to what pick-strokes will work best. Will there be legato? Where do the phrases begin and end?

A good method book or a knowledgeable teacher —plus, of course, practice, practice, practice— http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif is the best answer, along with the proverbial grain of salt for your own, personal preferences.

Best of luck.