PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Saving Time

journeybear
Nov-08-2011, 12:52am
Is the server still on daylight saving time? All spring and summer there was a two hour dfference between my local time and the server's, noticeable when reading without logging in. Since the change to standard time, I have noticed only a one hour difference. This is probably an insignificant matter, but I can't help wondering anyway. Actually, I never did understand this, as there should have been only a one hour difference between Eastern and Central times anyway. I had assumed the server is located in Kansas, but perhaps instead it is in a fallout-proof bunker deep inside an abandoned mine shaft at an undisclosed location in the Rockies. :cool:

danb
Nov-08-2011, 7:37am
The Cafe server runs on CST (central standard time). When you're logged in, your preferences store your own preferred time zone (you can get there from your user menus)

Bertram Henze
Nov-08-2011, 7:59am
What I assumed - servers normally can't afford to use fancy time systems with sudden jumps every now and then. Whatever the season, CST = UTC minus 6 hrs is plodding on regardless.

journeybear
Nov-08-2011, 8:37am
OK, thanks. It makes sense for a machine with so many other machines linked to it around the world to keep timekeeping constant and consistent. It's just puny humans who have some silly notion of imposing artificial measuring systems onto the natural world who get a bit confused when discordance occurs.

See Bertram's signature for further instructions, if needed. ;)

Bertram Henze
Nov-08-2011, 8:47am
It's just puny humans who have some silly notion of imposing artificial measuring systems onto the natural world who get a bit confused when discordance occurs.

Heard about that person who campaigned against Daylight Saving Time because it was her opinion that the extra hour of sunshine was damaging the climate? :grin:

journeybear
Nov-08-2011, 11:16am
No, I must have slept through the press conference because my alarm clock was set wrong. :whistling:

barney 59
Nov-08-2011, 8:08pm
I hate "Day Light Saving Time" The chickens don't know when to get up -the curtains fade,yah, and what about that global warming!

MikeEdgerton
Nov-08-2011, 8:55pm
If you want to check your settings login then click here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions) and scroll down to the date and time settings. If you are in the US on eastern time it should look like this:

journeybear
Nov-09-2011, 12:24am
Yessir, that is what my settings look like, all right. The answer to my question was provided by Dan - that the server does not observe DST. Hence, the condition I observed was caused by the relative motion between these two objects through the space-time continuum. Our clocks are now the correct one hour distance apart; during DST they will be two hours apart. All is well with the world. (This much of it anyway). If only all my questions could be so easily answered. :)