PDA

View Full Version : New Martin Ukuleles

Michael Eck
Nov-05-2011, 5:54pm
Has anyone tried one. I'd love to hear some opinions and reviews -- especially of the 2 concert and the 2K concert.

Big Joe
Nov-05-2011, 9:06pm
I played one of the low end soprano ukes, but it was not as good as many of the other brands for quite a bit less than the Martin. I also played one of the better ones and it was pretty good. I recently got an old Martin style O for a very good price. It is a fine Uke. I would prefer a concert size but have not found one yet. I played a Collings concert recently and that was a wonderful sounding Uke. Maybe someday :) .

MikeEdgerton
Nov-05-2011, 10:48pm
I inherited a 1922-26 Martin Style O that my step-father bought used in the 1920's for $20.00. Are these things sought after? I know nothing of the uke world.

My mistake, I just did a little research and it's actually a Style 1, 1918-1927.

Tim2723
Nov-06-2011, 9:43am
In today's marketplace there are many high-end instruments available for far less dough. The Martins are good instruments with a well earned reputation, but their prices are unreasonable IMO.

Mike, the old style 1 is still popular and trade easily, from all I've ever seen, heard, or read. Don't expect to pay off the mortgage though.

MikeEdgerton
Nov-06-2011, 1:54pm
I keep asking myself why he couldn't have been a mandolin player? :)

After I started looking I found some prices.

Spruce
Nov-06-2011, 2:54pm
I played a Collings concert recently....

Best ukes ever made...
Just unbelievable attention to detail....

Paul Hostetter
Nov-06-2011, 2:59pm
I've set up a few of the Style 1 ukes made in Mexico. Once you replace the tone-killing bone saddle with an ebony one, and lighten the tab of the board that laps over onto the body and put good strings on, they sound quite good. They're clunkier than in the old days, but not a bad deal.

The ukes with the "X" designation (http://www.martinguitar.com/ukuleles/soprano.html) of course aren't even made from wood, so how much can you expect?

Jim Garber
Nov-06-2011, 3:08pm
I inherited a 1922-26 Martin Style O that my step-father bought used in the 1920's for $20.00. Are these things sought after? I know nothing of the uke world.

My mistake, I just did a little research and it's actually a Style 1, 1918-1927.

The OP actually asked about the newly made Martins. The vintage ones (like yours, Mike) are among the most highly regarded ukes out there. They got the right recipe after they realized that they were not making guitars, got rid of the spruce top circa 1916 and braced them ever so lightly. I have quite a few of these babies and they are truly fun to play.

Others can comment on the current crop of new Martins... I have not played any of those.

MikeEdgerton
Nov-06-2011, 8:15pm
I knew that but decided to cash in on the knowledge of the uke mavens.

lukmanohnz
Nov-06-2011, 8:27pm
Has anyone tried one. I'd love to hear some opinions and reviews -- especially of the 2 concert and the 2K concert.

I wasn't aware that Martin had new uke models, though it makes a lot of sense that they would. I have an early 50's soprano Martin that I love, though my main 4-string is a Big Island Uke Co. concert uke I bought at Border Music on Maui after auditioning many high-end models including several Kamakas. The BI concert won out on both tone and workmanship.

allenhopkins
Nov-06-2011, 10:50pm
Martin got back into the ukulele business by introducing the S-0 model, made in Mexico I believe, a few years ago. The price of "vintage" Martin ukes had gone off the charts -- the fanciest 5-K koa model had gone past "$5K" and rising -- and it was time to cash in. The S-0's were like the old Style 0 instruments, no binding, all mahogany. They're on the market for $375 or so, and definitely get "mixed reviews" among ukulele aficionados.

Martin also began re-introducing its high-end models, including the 5-K, the 3-M (mahogany), and a 3-C made of cherry wood as part of their "sustainable woods" series. This year they also introduced six new "Style 2" models, soprano, concert and tenor ukes in mahogany and koa, and an "X series" ukulele made of Formica -- excuse me, "high pressure laminate." As with other Martin models, the "0,1,2,3,5" designations refer to ornamentation and "appointments," rather than variations in tonewoods etc.

I currently own a 1960's Style 0, and a '20's Style 1 (bar frets, "violin" friction pegs). These are quality instruments -- no surprise -- and I'm assuming that the new ones will be up to their standards. I'd be a bit careful about the S-0's, which some owners of older Martin ukuleles have strongly critiqued, and of course the "X" is what it is (though I'm quite satisfied with my Formica "Little Martin" in terms of price vs. value).

Michael Eck
Nov-07-2011, 12:50am
Yes. I've had experience with the Mexican Martin ukes. I traded an S-O for the newer S-1 when it came out. They're both fine, but nothing stunning. The brand new 2 series is all made in Nazareth, and I'm leaning heavily towards a mahogany 2 Concert. Hence my question if anyone has experience with the new Model 2s. Thanks for the responses and please keep them coming.

Pez D. Spencer
Nov-07-2011, 12:40pm
Peruse the bulletin board at fleamarketmusic.com. Huge amount of info on new and vintage ukuleles.