PDA

View Full Version : Just Got My New Macica A Model! It's a beauty

Justus True Waldron
Nov-05-2011, 2:06pm
Just got my first real mandolin today... Made by Martin Macica right here in Upstate NY. Marty has been a family friend for years, and he's pretty much the reason I got into mandolin/bluegrass... so to finally own one of his instruments is rather amazing. It worked out that this particular instrument happened to be from a few years back, which means it has a nitrocellulose finish rather then the hand rubbed varnish he does now, and it lacks a few of his newest innovations. However, it has an amazing sound that really pumps out and cuts through a mix, and because it was a slightly older A the price was right for me! I've been waiting to upgrade from my Kentucky for several years now, and I always thought I'd get an F when I got the chance... But it looks like I'll have an A for the rest of my life, and I'm not complaining a bit! I've played a lot of mandolins over the past couple years - including a real loyd loar - and I've noticed a dichotomy. Lots of mandolins these days have that great boxy woody chop - but then get lost in the mix when it comes to leads. Others cut through - but have thin little chops. The loar was one of the few instruments I've played that does both well... and it just so happens my mandolin is one of the few on that list as well. Thank you Marty! If I have time I think I'll post a video or some sound clips later... until then, here are some pictures... I've got to get back to playing... I can't wait to hear what this thing sounds like in a year once it starts really breaking in!
http://s7.postimage.org/iezr22swr/Front.jpghttp://s3.postimage.org/p4rgxbykz/Headstock_SM.jpghttp://s8.postimage.org/9a1jpyjs5/back.jpghttp://s8.postimage.org/5szhmzkpx/strings_SM.jpg

biologyprof
Nov-05-2011, 3:45pm
Hey Justus- that's a really fine looking mandolin you have. It has to be a good feeling that you know the builder too. Looking forward to hearing some clips when you have the time. Congrats and enjoy!

Greg

usqebach
Nov-05-2011, 4:54pm
Very nice looking mandolin.

Congrats!

Fstpicker
Nov-05-2011, 10:53pm
Love the wood pattern on the back and sides. A real beauty to behold. Love to hear how it sounds as well.

Congratulations!

Jeff

Bill Snyder
Nov-06-2011, 9:26am
That is a beautiful mandolin. I looked at Mr. Macica's website (http://www.macica.com/macica-mandolin.html). I think it is a bit surprising that I have not seen any of his work on the Mandolin Cafe before.

Justus True Waldron
Nov-06-2011, 10:15am
Yeah I agree... he's had a picture up in the "eye candy" section for years, but other than that he'd much rather spend his time making than advertising, I think... And I get the feeling most of his customers like playing them more then posting about them. I happen to be of the younger set, so this Internet stuff comes more naturally [= Besides that, he's never been about numbers or making as many as possible - He's been making mandolins for about 30 years, and his slightly tweaked "elliptical" f5 for 20, but he also builds violins and violas and cellos, so he feels pretty good if he makes at least 2 a year. He also does absolutely everything by hand - no CNC machine or even power tools, so it takes a little longer also. In the past couple years he's made a few changes though - from a varnish finish, to the option of texas steer horn binding (over the plastic/ivoroid binding usually used) and several other small, but potent tweaks I'm not at liberty to discuss :p In short, with the last 3 F models he's made, his sound went from amazing (my mandolin) to out of this world... He's quite happy with it, and I think while he's always thought it best to let his work speak for itself, he's starting to realize you have to put it in somebody's hands first to let it speak... In the past he's mostly had a booth at Joe Val and sometimes Podunk and Grey Fox - so if you aren't from NY,CT or MA you can be excused for not hearing of him [= He just got his new website with a blog though, so he's finally trying to put more focus on visibility. I think it's safe to say you'll be hearing/seeing more from him in the future. Anyways, I think my fingers have just about recovered... time to go play some more. I think I'll be able to put up some sound clips today...

Ed Goist
Nov-06-2011, 4:04pm
Congratulations on a gorgeous mandolin!
I too very much enjoyed perusing Macica Mandolin's website for the first time.
I was intrigued to read that he does not stain his instruments, but puts the stain in the varnish. This is how Jason Harshbarger applied the stain to the top of my blacktop 2-point. The technique seems pretty straight forward with solid colors, but I wonder how it is executed with gradations of color like on your A-style?
Again, congrats! What a beauty!

billhay4
Nov-07-2011, 10:31am
Nice! Sound clip?
Bill

Justus True Waldron
Nov-08-2011, 12:58am
Alright... well I promised some sound samples, so I decided to follow through. Of course, it just so happens all my recording gear is over at a friend's house, so I had to get these by just plugging an old mic straight into the computer. The first one is my first attempt at playing Ookpik Waltz - a tune I've had stuck in my head for a while but never tried playing. I don't usually do a lot of slow tremelo-ish stuff... but it sounds so sweet on this mando I just had to try it. The second clip is just me goofing off with some stuff in A... sloppy! I'm sure they'd both sound a lot better recorded with real gear, but you still get to hear the mando anyways... Let me know what you think!7806478065

billhay4
Nov-08-2011, 10:57am
Thanks, Justus,
Nice sounding instrument and nice playing.
Bill

Renorover
Nov-08-2011, 3:17pm
Very sweets looking...

jambalaya
Nov-08-2011, 5:58pm
very nice

JEStanek
Nov-08-2011, 8:39pm
Wow. Congratulations on then great looking mandolin!

Jamie

red7flag
Nov-08-2011, 9:14pm
Very impressive looking A. Like that headstock inlay. Great sounding instrument and like your playing too. Like the jazz licks. Thanks for putting that together for us.

Justus True Waldron
Nov-09-2011, 1:00am
Thanks everybody! Slightly off topic, but if you are at all interested in woodworking, Paul Sellers from the UK is an internationally known joiner that teaches classes on hand tooled woodworking, and makes some very beautiful furniture. Somebody clued me in that he wrote about Marty on his last blog so I checked it out - and found the headstock to my mando on there as well! Check it out if your interested... Paul has some great knowledge of working wood, and what it means to be a craftsman in this age. http://paulsellers.com/2011/11/violin-making-an-alternative-lifestyle/