PDA

View Full Version : Portal, AZ Celtic Music Camp

Mike Thomas
Nov-05-2011, 12:33pm
If you were one of the few and the proud that made it there this year, what did you think? What were the good and the less good parts, and would you go again. Also, any astronomy folks go? I had planned to go but couldn't this year.
Thanks,
Mike

Mike Thomas
Jul-04-2012, 1:54am
Well, it's July and I'm thinking about the Portal Irish Music Camp again. Could anyone offer a bit of feedback on their experience last year?
Thanks,
Mike Thomas

Mike Thomas
Jul-04-2012, 8:51am
Please, respond! I know someone from the list must have gone.
Mike

Miss Lonelyhearts
Jul-04-2012, 8:50pm
Mike, PM me and I'll put you in touch with several folks who took Marla's class last year. FWIW, we have a number of return customers--always a good sign. We also had a handful of folks from the Puget Sound area--they seemed to really enjoy the change of scenery. :)
You might also PM Marla herself--she's a member here.
Cheers

Miss Lonelyhearts
Jul-04-2012, 8:58pm
P.S. We spent a couple of hours one night looking at galaxies, star clusters, nebulae, and Jupiter's moons through two large scopes at a private "dark skies" home. Jack Newton talked about his super novae discoveries and gave us all food for thought about our place in this amazing universe. Definitely a highlight (among many) of the week, and we're expecting to go back for more this October.

Will Morgan
Jul-06-2012, 7:53pm
Hi Mike. I went, and will go again this year. The participants numbered in the twenties, which some may see as a negative, but which I experienced as a big positive. There were about an equal number of mandolin and fiddle students, who benefited from the excellent instruction of Marla Fibish and Brian Conway. There were enough other instruments present that sessions were not too mandolin and fiddle heavy, and hopefully, there will be somewhat more diversity this year. The site is beautiful, the lodge staff were most friendly and accommodating, and the food was very good. My near vegan dietary needs were met with skill and cheerfulness. I'd say about the only negative is the remoteness of the site, which requires, for most, a two-stage (air and land) trip each way. I flew to Tucson and took a rental car from there. This year, I'm driving all the way, from Seattle. The fact that I am willing to do that is a measure of the specialness of this camp.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Jul-06-2012, 11:02pm
As much as possible, we try to coordinate with folks to carpool from the airports in Tucson and Phoenix. When you make your flight reservations, be sure to talk with one of the Portal organizers so you arrive and depart at times that work well for a shuttle.

Portal is remote, and that's one of it's charms. Last year Brian Conway said he'd never ended a week of intensive teaching feeling so relaxed and recharged. I know I felt the same way (but then I'm not a prosecuting attorney in my day job). :)

Miss Lonelyhearts
Jul-07-2012, 11:24am
Here's the thread for Portal 2012, with links to the camp's web site and an update on instructors: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?85241-Portal-Irish-Music-Week-Register-Early!

Mike Thomas
Jul-16-2013, 11:29pm
Hi Will,
Well, I'm going this year and plan to drive. How did that work for you last year? Also planning to stay at the lodge. I think my roommate is a tenor/mandolin guy. I've been listening to 3Mile Stone & her recording of double strung instruments. That's the sound I want to achieve. Looking forward,
Mike thomas