PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain the differences between the F models?

Chris Womack2
Nov-02-2011, 9:34am
I have seen F5's, F8's, F9's and so on. What are the differences? Is it the bracing?

bingoccc
Nov-02-2011, 11:26am
http://home.provide.net/~cfh/gibson8.html

MikeEdgerton
Nov-02-2011, 1:10pm
The F-2 and F-4 - Short neck oval hole F style mandolins, introduced early 1900's. The F-4 had a higher trim level. F-5 longer neck F hole F style mandolin with a raised fingerboard and tonebars introduced in the Lloyd Loar years at Gibson. The F-5G is a lower trim level F-5 introduced in the 1990's. Never heard of an F-8. The F-9 is a no frills version of the F-5 introduced by Gibson in this century (I believe). The F12 was a short necked F model with F holes without a raised fingerboard. It really has nothing to do with bracing, everything to do with sound hole style and neck length. As far as bracing goes the oval hole models did have cross braces, the majority of the F-5 variants have tonebars. There were a very small number of X-braced F-5 models made. I'm not sure if they made an F-12 with a raised fingerboard at some time as well. In addition to that there are some differences in top woods that are used in the different price ranges on the modern Gibson F models as well. There are a few variations of the F-5, the Distressed Master Models, the Artist models like the Sam Bush, etc. If I have any of that wrong f5loar or some other Gibson expert will correct me.

frshwtrbob
Nov-02-2011, 1:49pm
Hey Mike,
You "Never heard of an F-8"?

p.s. I heard from these here forums that you should take a lot of the mandolin info on the provide.net link given above with a 'few grains of salt'. That is, it's not very accurate, or at least 'not as accurate' as the guitar info on that site.

Chris Womack2
Nov-02-2011, 2:49pm
The F8 was a typo. Was meant to be F7 but you get the jist. Thanks Mike for that explanation. That was exactly what I was looking for.

mandroid
Nov-02-2011, 2:53pm
largely pricepoint, if they are all from Gibson.

as it is a style many builders copy, F is the shape, that Florentine scroll pointy thing.

MikeEdgerton
Nov-02-2011, 3:36pm
OK, in my haste I may have made a mistake. I think the F-7 is the short neck F style without a raised fingerboard. For all the Gibson experts, is the F-12 the long neck without the raised figerboard? I don't have my books here and I'm way too busy with real life to think right now.

frshwtrbob
Nov-02-2011, 4:55pm
This is from the Gibson site and their intro to the ad about their 75th anniversary model.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Mandolin/Gibson-Original/75th-Anniversary-F-12-Mandolin.aspx

"In the mid 1930s, Gibson attempted to reach a broader market of mandolin aficionados by introducing a new series of instruments constructed with the tonal integrity of the vaunted Lloyd Loar F-5, but with slightly dressed-down cosmetics. Presented alongside the F-7 and F-10, the 1934 F-12 mandolin was the fanciest and would become one of the rarest mandolins in Gibson history. The carved solid spruce top and figured maple back and rims lent the F-12 a blend of cut and sweetness that could compete with any mandolin of the day, while its long-neck design offered supreme playability...."

even the specs page doesn't say whether the fingerboard was raised or not :

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Mandolin/Gibson-Original/75th-Anniversary-F-12-Mandolin/Specs.aspx

MikeEdgerton
Nov-02-2011, 6:08pm
Unfortunately that's really not a good source of information even though it's the same brand name. I'll try and look it up later.

Jazzbird
Nov-02-2011, 7:31pm
Gruhn's Guide To Vintage Guitars; first edition, 1991; p. 165

GIBSON F-12
The original F-12 was introduced in 1934. 2 point body, f holes, single bound top and back with a single bound pick guard. The fingerboard was raised off of the top. Single bound peghead with the two handled vase inlay. Pearl tuner buttons - gold plated metal parts. Red sunburst top finish with deep red back and sides.
Discontinued in 1937.

Re-introduced in 1948 with the long neck bound rosewood fingerboard, dot inlay, unbound peghead, crown peghead inlay, Cremona brown sunburst top, uniform brown sides and back.

Late 1950, wriggle -edge tailpiece cover, fingerboard raised off of top, larger peghead.

Treble-side fingerboard extension, smaller peghead, single bound peghead, fleur-de-lis peghead inlay, "The Gibson" script logo by 1970.

Discontinued 1980.

f5loar
Nov-03-2011, 12:00am
Gruhn sometimes skimps on the gritty details. The F12 when first reintroduced in 1947 did have a short neck fingerboard glued to top before it came out with the long neck with fingerboard glued to the top in 1948. From 1947 to early 1952 it had only the Gibson logo in pearl at the top an no crown inlay. He makes no mention of them having mahogony necks. After 1966 the neck was made with maple but still stained brown to match the back and sides.