PDA

View Full Version : Gadoulka

stevenmando
Nov-27-2004, 1:04pm
Hi I have been thinking of changing from the mandolin to the Gadoulka, is there any Galdoulka player out there and where can one get one.

Bowing: gadoulka (kopanka, ghiola, kasnak)
Gadoulka is a Slavonic stringed instrument without a fingerboard as it is in the current violin. Strings are not with one and the same length and the same height. The first string is the lowest, the second is longer and higher and the third is the highest. Usually gadoulkas have three of four strings. In some there are further, thinner metallic strings conforming to the tones, which are played on the instrument with fingers. The folk gadoulka player calls these strings under-sounds that make resonance. Their purpose is to resonate on tones which in the gadoulka sound more deafly and not clearly. As playing on a violin fingers press the strings against the fingerboard still in difference, playing on gadoulka without a fingerboard, fingers, instead of playing onto the strings, touch them with nails. The sonority of gadoulka in comparison, with the sonority of violin is more quiet and deafer, but more pleasant. Possibilities of tones are from "sol" on the little octave still "re" on the second octave.

vkioulaphides
Dec-02-2004, 8:52am
Why change? Keep them both! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

The person on the Café who might know the most about the gadoulka is Bulgarian mandolinist Plamen Ivanov (username: plami) You will find numerous posts by him in the Classical Section. A most helpful and gracious gentleman. Drop him a note, if you wish.

P.S. Not to mention that "stevenmando" sounds a lot better than "stevengadoulka"... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Jonathan Reinhardt
Dec-02-2004, 6:51pm
good luck, you are courageous - gadoulka is a wonderful instrument but far beyond my abilities. I chose instead to play gaida and am having quite a time of it. nothing in my long life of music prepared me for the rigors of eastern European music. I expect to one day become comfortable with clear ornamentation, but currently am rather embarassed about how it all sounds. I would so like to travel to Bulgaria for some serious lessons and playing time.
most gadoulka are handmade by small makers or players themselves.
message me and I will try and help you to find you some Bulgarian sources.
have a great time learning!

rasa

stevenmando
Dec-11-2004, 1:33pm
Hi I would sure like to go to Bulgaria myself, my family is from there my grandfather came from Draganavo and Sofia and I have relatives somewhere over there, I like eastern european music and the sound are beautyful. I think it would be fun to learn it I like the sound of the instrunment but I don,t know if there are any teachers in my area but I will keep on looking somewhere out there their is someone thatlikes the same as I do .

Jonathan Reinhardt
Dec-11-2004, 7:14pm
Try these folks. here (http://msmusicagency.com)
They have Bulgarian vocal, accordion, and pipe music (written/CD) plus more. They're in Tigard, OR now.
They'll be able to help you with music and possibly a distance learning network.

I have (Bulgarian) friends in Sofia, and an acquaintance who travels to and from Sofia every year, so also have a strong connection to Bulgaria.

rasa

stevenmando
Dec-18-2004, 11:56am
HiRasa thanks for the link, great link and here in Oregon to thanks steven

Jonathan Reinhardt
Dec-18-2004, 12:42pm
You're welcome. Although Milen's material is far from beginner level, it is inspirational and understandable. Don't be intimidated by the professional performance level of the demos. Rather enjoy them, for they are the real thing.

rasa

stevenmando
Dec-24-2004, 11:45am
Thanks , have a wonderful Christmas and a happy new year Steven Shelton