PDA

View Full Version : JSH 2-20 Mandolin by Violin Maker John Hill

doghouse
Oct-20-2011, 7:40pm
JSH 2-20 Mandolin by John Hill

I just finished this as of yesterday. Amidst all of my other work, and having to build all of the jigs and design work etc., it took a longer than anticipated.

The body outline was traced from the Martin 2-20 that I recently restored. I enlarged it by 6 percent so to accommodate the 13n7/8 scale length. I chose to build it with X tone bars. The arching, neck and head and pick guard are of my own design. I installed a James tail piece. Euro spruce top, maple back, ebony lining and finished with French Polish.

As a violin maker and now, most recently a mandolin maker, I have a new found respect for the latter. A lot work and not any less demanding for the technical skill set!

I hope you enjoy these pix!

All the best, John

citeog
Oct-20-2011, 7:52pm
Gorgeous. What did you use for the back binding?

Paul

John Hill
Oct-20-2011, 7:53pm
That's sharp. Nice work from one John Hill to another.

doghouse
Oct-20-2011, 7:57pm
Thanks John Hill! Sort of feels like I am patting my own back here. Ha!

doghouse
Oct-20-2011, 7:59pm
Thanks Paul, the top, back and head are bound with ebony. It was a female dog to bend!

amowry
Oct-20-2011, 11:04pm
Looks great! Spruce on the headstock? I like it!

doghouse
Oct-20-2011, 11:58pm
Yeah, it appears I was subconsciously going for the art deco look. Ha! Thanks Andrew

doghouse
Oct-21-2011, 12:01am
Bye the way, your instruments are truly great.. I almost quit before I started this project when I saw your work!

Steve Sorensen
Oct-21-2011, 1:19am
Quite elegant. Impressive.
Steve

usqebach
Oct-21-2011, 4:38am
John,

Nice work!

And it's interesting to see a modern remake of an old classic which doesn't receive a lot of attention these days. I have an oval hole Martin, which I think is a 2-15. It's about the same as yours without the points.

Jim Sims

Charlieshafer
Oct-21-2011, 5:47am
Agreed... great to see things which aren't the same old A or F style. The spruce on the headstock with the ebony binding is really cool; sort of a negative of the standard.

doghouse
Oct-21-2011, 7:08am
Agreed... great to see things which aren't the same old A or F style. The spruce on the headstock with the ebony binding is really cool; sort of a negative of the standard.

Thanks Guys, a little back story on the headstock. The spruce head stock laminate came about from discussion with a guitar collector friend of mine as to what we thought would thought might look good. When I mentioned spruce as a possibility to tie into the simple but elegant theme he got a big smile on his face and said yes, go with spruce. But it was not until I added the ebony binding that the look really tied it together and made it work.

doghouse
Oct-21-2011, 7:21am
John,

Nice work!

And it's interesting to see a modern remake of an old classic which doesn't receive a lot of attention these days. I have an oval hole Martin, which I think is a 2-15. It's about the same as yours without the points.

Jim Sims

Hi Jim, I fell in love the Martin 2 point design immediately upon seeing one for sale on ebay. Though I have played mandolin in the past, I was out of the loop at the time and had never seen this model before. After I had done a ton of restoration work on the same one I subsequently purchased (looked good from 2,000 miles away but it was in bad shape when it arrived), I decided I had to try my hand at making one. Though the original was fun to play, I wanted a bigger, 13&7/8ths scale length.

Fred G
Oct-21-2011, 8:32am
Really nice... drool.... MAS kicking in bad right now

billhay4
Oct-21-2011, 9:49am
That is very lovely!
Any chance of a sound clip?
Bill

JEStanek
Oct-21-2011, 10:21am
Excellent looking mandolin, John. The ebony trim/buttons on the blonde woods works incredibly well for my eyes.

Jamie

JGWoods
Oct-21-2011, 10:41am
http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh335/jgwoods1/Instruments/Mandolins/DSCN4739-1.jpg

The Martin and Epiphone 2 points are my favorites.

Skip Kelley
Oct-21-2011, 12:27pm
Nice work! I like the spruce on the peghead!

Charles E.
Oct-21-2011, 6:20pm
John, beautiful mandolin. Being a violin maker, did you use an inside mold?

doghouse
Oct-21-2011, 6:36pm
That is very lovely!
Any chance of a sound clip?
Bill

I will try to get one loaded up soon Bill, thanks for asking.

doghouse
Oct-21-2011, 6:37pm
John, beautiful mandolin. Being a violin maker, did you use an inside mold?

Yes Charley, the ways of the outside mold seems strange and usual to me..

doghouse
Oct-21-2011, 6:39pm
Excellent looking mandolin, John. The ebony trim/buttons on the blonde woods works incredibly well for my eyes.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie!