PDA

View Full Version : Roots with a Side of Pop (or is that Newgrass?)

kmiller1610
Oct-20-2011, 4:25am
I have been recently enjoying Sarah Jarosz first album and really appreciating the blend of older and newer music. Now obviously, this has been done recently in the Nickle Creek albums (especially the first), but I was wondering what other artists have blended an old world (Scottish/Irish folk) sound with some Newgrass / pop sensibilities, without drums or electrics.

fAtHanD
Oct-21-2011, 11:28am
Check out Joy Kills Sorrow. They remind me of Nickel Creek but with a banjo player.

Mark Hudson
Oct-21-2011, 12:00pm
You might want to check out Crooked Still too. :-)

JEStanek
Oct-21-2011, 1:15pm
Republic of Strings and The Wayfaring Strangers are also worth checking out along similar lines, too.

Jamie

adgefan
Oct-22-2011, 4:08am
The recent albums from Cahalen Morrison and Eli West and Joe Walsh are similar to Sarah Jarosz.

Away from the bluegrass/americana side of things you might like Lau and Genticoruum who are putting a modern twist on traditional Scottish and Québécois music respectively.

Hector
Oct-22-2011, 11:18pm
I think "Joys Kills Sorrow" shall be tagged "True Country". Like the "Westbound Rangers", they are re-proposing music that is very close of Roy Acuff spirit. Sarah Jarosz is very talented and plays beautiful music, but her work is sounding more "acousticana" : a blend of traditional, classical and contemporary music played with acoustic instruments.

kmiller1610
Oct-24-2011, 7:33am
Thanks for the suggestions.