PDA

View Full Version : Hooray! Spending more money!

iancohen82
Oct-19-2011, 9:32pm
Well, I decided that if I'm going to buy a mandolin, I should get one that I'll be happy with for a long time, rather than having to upgrade again. I've raised my $ limit to $1,000 and would prefer buying something used. I'd prefer an A-style mandolin, though I could be convinced otherwise, depending. I played the new $$$ Collings mandolins at Mandolin Bros. and I felt they were clearly the best, though unaffordable. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any used Collings' that I could afford either.

Also, I haven't read much about the (new) KM 900. Anyone here have any thoughts about it? Is it appreciably different from the KM 505? I understand the difference in the woods used, etc., the $, but how does the sound compare? How does it feel to play it? I played a KM 505 at Matt Umanov's in the Village and liked the way it sounded and how it felt. The Eastman 505, though louder, sounded more diffuse. Though I've heard and read great things about the Eastman 505, it didn't move me and I thought seriously about buying one online. Which is why I prefer to buy a mandolin that I can play. Still, there aren't many choices here in NYC, and if I have to, I'll buy online.

Just like last time, any help would be appreciated. Thanks for reading!

mrmando
Oct-19-2011, 9:35pm
Not many choices in NYC? You haven't been to Mandolin Bros.?

Have a good look through the Classifieds here; something may catch your eye.

iancohen82
Oct-19-2011, 9:41pm
I've been there, but $1000 seems to be an "in-between" price. Not enough for a Collings, but more than enough for a Loar A-style.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Oct-19-2011, 11:16pm
I have a Kentucky KM900 and I think it's a really good mandolin. In my experience, having played a bunch of Eastmans, Kentuckys and The Loars, it's the best import mandolin you can get for under $1k. What strikes me most is the tone - it's thick, lush and complex, and sounds nothing like the other imports I've played. I have even heard people said that it comes closest to sounding like a hand made domestic mandolin, and I tend to agree.

I don't have much experience with the KM505, but from what I can recollect, the KM900 stands head to shoulder above the 505 in turns of tone. In addition, my understanding is that the KM900 is made in a separate facility along side the KM1000 and KM1500.

There are a number of good threads you can check out on the cafe that talks quite a bit about the KM900:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?65556-Kentucky-km900-review
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?72378-comparing-Kentucky-KM505-and-Kentucky-KM900
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?68030-Kentucky-KM900
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?61352-KM900-vs-KM1000
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?60259-has-anyone-had-hands-on-the-kkm900-yet

Besides the KM900, I would also recommend waiting for a used KM1000, which have been found for under 1K in the used market. A number of good, used hand made A models can also be found in the classifieds currently for not much more than 1K. While I know what you mean when you said that 1K seems to be the 'in-between' price for a solid, new mandolin, it's actually a pretty sweet spot in the used market for a killer A model hand made by some of the renowned luthiers. So there are definitely options out there.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Oct-19-2011, 11:17pm
I've been there, but $1000 seems to be an "in-between" price. Not enough for a Collings, but more than enough for a Loar A-style.

I was going to say - 1K probably won't get you much at the Mandolin Bros.. :)

mandolirius
Oct-19-2011, 11:33pm

When someone says their limit is $1000 (or whatever), it's generally assumed they mean "up to" one thousand. If you can satisfy yourself for less than a grand, that's a plus.

Grommet
Oct-20-2011, 3:23am
Just noticed a lightly used Weber Absaroka A-style with Yellowstone appointments in the Cafe classifieds for $1100 (NFI).

Scott

John Kinn
Oct-20-2011, 4:19am
Used Gibson A9 or Gibson Jam Master (wider neck) are around 1K. These are very good mandolins.Check the classifieds. Good luck with your search!

sachmo63
Oct-20-2011, 8:53am
A buddy just found an A style Loar for way under a grand.....its definitely better than any kentucky i've EVER seen.

Eric Hanson
Oct-20-2011, 10:18am
Hmmmm....
Might these tasty morsels satisfy your cravings?:confused:

http://www.themandolinstore.com/scripts/prodList.asp?brand=22

I like the line that says, "Call for sale price".

NFI

8ch(pl)
Oct-20-2011, 10:19am
I was going to mention the Absaroka, but Grommet beat me to it. These are nice instruments. Gibson A9 usually goes used for about the same money.

jmalmsteen
Oct-23-2011, 6:12pm
I did what you are doing and in six months I decided I wanted a professional level mandolin, which for me was a Gibson and for you might be the Collins. Knowing what I know now, I just would have gotten the Gibson initially. I now have a mandolin that I love and $600 out the window on the Kentucky.

Jill McAuley
Oct-23-2011, 8:11pm
If the OP bumps his budget up by just a little here's a Collings A within reach in the classifieds here, NFI on my part of course:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=51582&query=retrieval

Cheers,
Jill

Mike Bunting
Oct-23-2011, 8:15pm
If it doesn't have to be an F hole mando, I'd say search out a Gibson A Jr. I've seen them in tour price range and think they are greatly under appreciated.

tburcham
Oct-23-2011, 9:43pm
Ultimately you will probably move on past the $1,000 mandolins, even though there some some very good models available for that price point (The Loar 700, Kentucky KM-1000, used Gibson/Flatiron A's,). If you can hold out until you save up enough for a Collings MT your next mandolin might be years in th future, if then...they are that good!

Steve Ostrander
Oct-24-2011, 3:42pm
I have owned both a km505 and a km900. The km900 is a fabulous instrument and worth every $ more than the km505. It does have a flat FB, if it matters to you. Doesn't bother me.

AKmusic
Oct-24-2011, 6:04pm
Ultimately you will probably move on past the $1,000 mandolins, even though there some some very good models available for that price point (The Loar 700, Kentucky KM-1000, used Gibson/Flatiron A's,). If you can hold out until you save up enough for a Collings MT your next mandolin might be years in th future, if then...they are that good!

...that my friend is wisdom.

If you "know" that you have been smitten and you're looking forward to years of enjoyment playing a mandolin - then do yourself a favor - keep what you have a while longer, continue to practice, and save for the one that you know will be worth keeping for all of those future years.

If you buy something now - with the idea that one day you'll get that Collings - then STOP. Be patience with yourself. In the long run - you'll be dollars ahead and have the Collings much sooner if you just make that your goal. Though MAS may try to convince you otherwise.

Reality check.

A new Kentucky or The Loar is going to be worth much less after you have owned it.

A used Collings will probably be worth as much or more than what you pay for it today.

Which is the better mandolin? Which would you rather have? How much longer will it take to add enough to your funds?

Mandobar
Oct-25-2011, 8:16am
Right now you can get a km900 for 801 plus 10% off at checkout on amazon.com. You'll need to get it a set up, but this is basically the used price. One left. Good luck!