PDA

View Full Version : "Like father, like son" Colin & Dagger Gordon's new cd

kmmando
Oct-18-2011, 5:36am
Just to flag up a splendid new duet cd by top Highland mandolin player Dagger Gordon, on a Sobell 10 string, accompanied on guitar by his son Colin, on a series of spirited sets of good old Scottish tunes, and some wonderful slow airs, played in David's distinctive and utterly delightful style.

Not quite sure where it's available from as yet, perhaps Dagger will post a link so that all you perceptive and discerning mandolin afficionados will e-rush along and get a copy.

Kevin Macleod

Paul Cowham
Oct-18-2011, 7:39am
Thanks for your post Kevin.

I was fortunate enough to hear a sneak preview of the album when Dagger kindly gave me a lift to Inverness train station. This was after a feis in Fort Augustus where he had been tutoring back in February. The playing on it sounded lovely, sweet sounding tone and good tunes.

As well as Dagger's mandolin, Colin's guitar sounded fantastic and fitted the music perfectly.

Paul

Jim MacDaniel
Oct-18-2011, 2:57pm
Kevin -- thanks for the heads up; sounds like a great project.

Paul -- thanks for the link; it will soon be mine. :)

Dagger Gordon
Oct-18-2011, 7:18pm
Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate it.

Footstompin' seems to be the first on-line place to have it for sale. The discs only arrived last Monday, so it takes a wee while for my distributor to get them into the shops.

As regards getting a hold of them, I usually find it simpler for non-UK customers to buy from mail-order sites like Footstompin' (or others, once they have them up for sale). For UK customers, I am happy to mail directly if you want to send me a cheque. To do that, it's perhaps best to send me a private message or email me at

gordon@inchindown.fsnet.co.uk

You should also be able to download from CD Baby quite soon, but that won't be ready yet.

Many thanks,

Dagger.

PS Paul. I was talking to guitar maker Ken Powell and his wife about you at the Ullapool Guitar Festival last week. They had a picture of your guitar on their stand. I really liked his guitars!

Jill McAuley
Oct-20-2011, 10:48am
Love the cover photo! Definitely looking forward to getting this one!

Cheers,
Jill

Jim MacDaniel
Oct-20-2011, 1:08pm
Listened to the samples: great mando and guitar playing, and I love the ringing tone of that Sobell.

(I just added the CD to my Xmas wish list -- and I'll be buying it on December 26 if it isn't under the tree on December 25 ;) )

Dagger Gordon
Oct-26-2011, 2:16pm
CD Baby seem to have it for download now.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/daggerandcolingordon

Here's another Scottish mail order company now stocking it.

http://www.codamusic.co.uk/products.php?keyword=dagger+gordon

Getting some radio airplay in Scotland, particularly on Gaelic radio and The Iain Anderson show.

Cheers,

Dagger

kmmando
Oct-27-2011, 7:22am
I'm much enjoying it too - grab yerselves a copy or 5 - unique and delightful Christmas gifts! Far better than socks and pants!

KHJM

Steve Baker
Oct-27-2011, 10:40am
I just got my copy - 5 days from Scotland to the Midwest via postal services! I second the comment on the tone from that mandolin; very sweet, even over car speakers. I'm really enjoying this one.

Steve

Niall Anderson
Oct-28-2011, 8:51am
I'm really enjoying this one.

Steve

Ditto... 2 tracks in as I type, having just bought the last copy in Coda Music. Sorry about that, Dagger - you'll need to send them some more!

Well done to both you and Colin - it's sounding great.

Niall

Niall Anderson
Oct-28-2011, 9:01am
Oh, yes... and the Johnny Cope to New Claret transition is a thing of beauty!

(I now seem to be liveblogging the CD... oh well)

kmmando
Nov-07-2011, 6:15pm
The lads have a gig at Glasgow's Celtic Connections festival in January 2012, a wee bird tells me, so get along you mandoheads!

KHJM

Dagger Gordon
Nov-12-2011, 2:26am
Our Celtic Connections gig is on 1st Feb at the Piping Centre.

http://www.celticconnections.com/Pages/default.aspx

Dagger Gordon
Nov-14-2011, 1:49am
Here's a review by Rob Adams in The Sunday Herald, a Glasgow newspaper.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts_ents/13040030.Like_Father_Like_Son__Dagger__Dagger____/

David Surette
Nov-14-2011, 8:10am
Excellent job with the CD, you two. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, it would appear. Great tunes, nicely played.

Dagger Gordon
Nov-15-2011, 11:25am
Thanks David, nice to hear from you. No, I don't think the apple did fall very far from the tree.

Dagger Gordon
Nov-17-2011, 4:50am
We are having a CD launch this Sunday at Saltburn Hall, by Invergordon. If there are any Highland mandoliners lurking out there who might like to go, please let me know.

Dagger

Tosh Marshall
Nov-22-2011, 4:35pm
Great album Dagger, really love it.....

Dagger Gordon
Nov-23-2011, 1:18am
Delighted to hear it, Tosh. Thanks a lot.

Werner Jaekel
Dec-28-2011, 5:15am
yesterday they arrived, scottish mandolin tutor, like father like son and highland mandolin. Distinctively scottish, exactly what I want. And suberbly played. Very interesting open position "drone" playing. Listening closely there is alot to be learned, including the twiddly bits. Also interesting I find his approach to the slow pieces with a nice ringing sound. And the selection of the tunes, giving me an idea how to play "scottish" through the whole range. Very good. Plenty of work ahead of me. I find this music ideally suited for the mandolin. Thank you, Dagger Gordon and Colin Gordon

Dagger Gordon
Dec-28-2011, 1:53pm
I am delighted to hear it. I hope you enjoy the music and find the book helpful.

Are you Scottish yourself? I understand you have a daughter in Edinburgh.

Thanks a lot,

Dagger

Mo Soar
Dec-29-2011, 8:36pm
Got my copy downloaded via CD Baby, enjoying it quite a bit!

Werner Jaekel
Dec-30-2011, 5:10am
hi Dagger, I surely wouldn't mind, but no, I am not scottish. Whilst residing in the southwest of Ireland for many years with my family, farming and landscaping, I adopted to the irish way of life and when we left, to facilitate a higher education for my 4 children, I was so much a countryside irishman that living in hi-tech Germany was and still is a bit difficult for me. So, to this day, I don't know what I am, neither here nor there. Naturally I love to play irish music until recently the social group "song a week" and especially John Kelly drew my attention to scottish tunes. Since than I browsed the web for more und discovered and a great number of most beautiful scottish tunes . There must be an great musical potential in Bonnie Scotland. I collect, print and play,collect, print and play ....Recently I asked in a thread about ornaments and someone suggested to have a look at your cds.

My daughter studies in Edinburgh for her master in arts, but I think she will stay for good. She grew up in Ireland and she is quite successful and has made so many friends in Edinburgh. Among other things she recently illustrated a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys8dTSLQPiU&feature=youtu.be. which I like very much.

I have one small point, though I am perfectly happy with cds and book. I can't listen to a nice tune without taking up my mandolin and try to play along. Whished I could find all the abc somewhere. Maybe (?) the abc s could be provided on some webpage for people like us.

Hope you will provide us with many more scottish mandolin cds , and more tuition in scottish playing, like ornamentation.
This minute listening to "highland mandolin " VERY NICE

Sheets Tae The Wind
Mar-16-2012, 5:14pm
Hey all,
heard this on Bruce Macgregor's Traveling Folk last week on BBC Radio Scotland and had to get it. Awesome album with some great tracks on it. As I bought it through Amazon.com's mp3 site I didn't get the liner notes (one of the drawbacks of mp3 technology) and I'm wondering if there's a listing anywhere of the tunes being played on each track? I particularly like the arrangement on Mackenzie's Farewell, great stuff.
Thanks for the help

Dagger Gordon
Mar-17-2012, 1:44am
Hi there,

Interesting that you heard the show in Tasmania. Anyway, thanks for your very kind comments. The tracks are as follows. I apologise for seeming to use the forum for my own self-promotion, but this is probably the easiest way to deal with it and it might be useful to some more of you.

Regards, Dagger

1. Kissed yestre’en/ The favourite dram/ The lads o’ Dunse

2. Sabhal Iain 'ic Uisdean (Iain Hugh's Son's Barn) / S ' Ioma rud tha dhith orm (Many a thing I lack)/ The drummers/ Stornoway Castle/ The Shetland fiddler

3. Cròdh Cinn t-Sàile ( The cattlefold of Kintail)

4. Wade’s welcome to Inverness (Robert Meldrum)/ Murdo MacKenzie of Torridon (Bobby MacLeod)/The Bonawe Highlanders (D Bowman)

5. Johnny Cope/ The new Claret

6. Sitting in the stern of a boat. (Rev Wm. MacLeod)

7. The lass o’Corrie Mill/ Niel Gow’s wife/ Captain Keeler/ Clydesdale lasses/ Torry Burn lasses

8. Miss Graham/ The town crier/ Sir David Davidson of Cantray (John Lowe)

9. MacKenzie’s farewell/ Mo chuachag laghach (My gentle milkmaid)/ Hoch hey Johnny lad/ O’er Bogie/ Clean pea strae

10. The taking of Beaumont Hamel (John MacLellan)/ The 25th KOSB’s farewell to Meerut (John Balloch)

11. Captain MacBain’s reel/ Loch Earn

12. Tha m’aigne fo ghruaim (This gloom on my soul)

Sheets Tae The Wind
Mar-17-2012, 2:33pm
That's great, thanks Dagger.

Through the wonders of the internet, I've been able to listen to travelling folk for years through the BBC's website. I should actually update my profile as I am now in California, but still listen on a regular basis.

Thanks again for making the music in the first place and for posting the tunes here.

Gillies