PDA

View Full Version : Who has a Holst? Post pics ;)

Mandociety
Oct-14-2011, 12:54am
Steve Holst recently finished #36 for me. I'm curious about other Holst owners and their experiences.

My mandolin features custom sound holes (something Steve has fun with), a Swiss spruce top, Red maple back and sides, tortoise-black-white binding, Maccassar ebony headstock. The range is so balanced, and it's only been a month.

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts. Hopefully we can get to hear from some other Holst owners.

Tavy
Oct-14-2011, 3:32am
Very nice, love that peghead!

Charlie Ayers
Oct-14-2011, 7:19am
Here are some pics of my Holst:

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/581001366ThgnFM

JEStanek
Oct-14-2011, 8:00am
Welcome to the Cafe and what a cool mandolin you have there. I really dig the flowerpot inlay on the peghead.

Jamie

Mandociety
Oct-14-2011, 9:49am
@Charlie. Thanks for the share! Realized you're just around the corner in SLC. Would love to hear how yours plays sometime.

billhay4
Oct-14-2011, 10:46am
I'd love to hear a soundclip of that lovely instrument.
Bill

Charlie Ayers
Oct-14-2011, 11:28pm
Hi Madociety: great to hear there's another Holst in UT! I'll send you an PM.

crazymandolinist
Oct-15-2011, 10:02am
Love Holst's stuff. Very creative guy and all his stuff looks very modern.

Mandociety
Oct-15-2011, 11:44am
I'll try to get some sound clips up soon.

LeonEvans
Oct-17-2011, 9:04pm
Here's my Holst C5 from 2005.

Leon

Mandociety
Oct-18-2011, 9:35am
Thanks Leon, I went back and forth with Steve about those "semicolon" sound holes—way cool. How does she sound after half a decade?

LeonEvans
Oct-18-2011, 1:36pm
The C5 has been a loud mandolin from the beginning. Over time the bass has matured along with the mids. It has a good chop and is even up the entire scale. When I first discussed this with Steve, I told him I wanted more even tone with good mids and bass and not the strident treble that some mandolins can have. He braced the top for this and left the top a bit thicker. He told me up front that this would mean a longer break in time as there is more top wood to wake up. As he put it, "it will take it a while to forget it's a tree".

I may never be a good mandolinist but I have all the instrument I need if I decide to try. It's a pleasure to play it every time and I can't thank Steve enough for bringing it to life for me.

Leon

Jim MacDaniel
Oct-18-2011, 2:56pm
Mandociety -- very nice instrument, congrats.

Dfyngravity
Oct-22-2011, 6:43am
Here is my Holst mandolin and I have another one (e-mandocello) underway. Steve is definitely a fantastic guy to work with and build some of the finest instruments out there.

CJ_inMN
Oct-30-2011, 11:02am
Leon,

On your Holst C5, it looks like the pickguard/finger-rest is attached to the bridge. Is that the case?

CJ

LeonEvans
Oct-31-2011, 11:07am
Hi CJ,

No it free floats and is held in place by two screws in the side of the fingerboard/block extension. Haven't had any problems with it and it works great. The extension you see on the bridge is actually a sliding ramp that fits under the saddle for adjusting the action. It's a way of getting the best of an adjustable and solid bridge all in one and is based on a D'Aquisto bridge used on archtop guitars. Steve has a better picture on his website in the mandolin gallery. http://www.pacinfo.com/~sholst/mandogallery.htm

Leon